Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baclofen

Hi,

I am currently trying to stop drinking. I am in counselling, am on kudzu rescue and 30mg of baclofen per day. I find that the cravings have eased slightly but I still suffer from them. I cannot go more than a couple of days without a drink and have already drank today. Not sure how I can stop. Apologies for not reading fully through all the posts, but I wonder if anyone can help me.

I am reading "The End Of My Addiction" by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, which is giving me some hope. In it he claims that a high dosage of baclofen reduces the cravings. My problem is that I cannot find a doctor that will prescribe more than 30 mg per day. I am very aprehensive about self medication and even more aprehensive about ordering drugs on the web, but what he says seems to give me hope.

I wonder can anyone advise on where I might get this drug without a prescription and if it might be dangerous to take.

I see no other way out. Thanks in advance for any advise.

baclofen

It's a Journey

:new:I just started on Campral yesterday. I've been "at this for years" mostly drunk, dry drunk, or existing. So, its all new to me and experiences shared are very helpful. I see there are not may responses to Baclofen. For me, after day 1 on Campral I have no desire to slip out for my usual supply of 4 cans of 24 oz. Coors Light. Hmmm. I ordered a bunch of nutritional stuff from this website including Kudzu.

I'll see what happens. Fortunately, I found a good doc who I'll see on Tues. And, I'll ask about Bactrol. He used to work in Indian Health survices, so he's had a long journey in treating addiciton.

I think that you can do it and so will I. Sometimes its about a little experimentation to find out what works best for YOU. I went through that with anti-depressants and after 2 really crummy years realized that the yellow and green pills (real deal Prozac) works much better for me than the generic. I know what you mean about worrying about the side-effects of stuff....however, we have no fear of ripping our bodies and minds apart with alcohol--well-known as a huge health hazard. And, like the good drunk doc, its pretty amazing what so many of us accomplish while being plastered for major portions of life....Have you tried any other anti-craving drugs? The list is growing, so you'll have many more choices.

Hang in there. Borderboomer :Heace:

Comment

baclofen

Thak you borderboomer for your reply. Here's hoping and praying.

Comment

baclofen

baclofen

I'm interested in knowing more about baclofen. You said it is supposed to reduce cravings. I've been reading some recent research on the net and what I'm reading is that some studies suggest that not only does it reduce cravings but rivals diazepam (valium), the so called "gold standard" for alcohol withdrawal in reducing, well, withdrawal symptoms. The subjects took what you are taking for cravings: 10mg. X 3 per day for 10 days vs. whatever the "standard" dose is for valium, and the withdrawal results were very similar.

I just ordered 120 10mg. tablets of baclofen from river pharmacy. I'm ordering for the withdrawal potential but if it also reduces cravings, the more it does the merrier!

I think there needs to be more discussion on baclofen, especially since there is much recent news about the withdrawal potential. What do you think?

Chilipepper

Comment

baclofen

I have been using Baclofen along with Naltrexone and I have had very good emotional help from taking the baclofen. There is dissension and discussion about the use of nal and bac together, but for me, as a depressed, emotional person, who does not take an anti depressant, I have found the baclofen to be a mentally stabilizing med for me. I too have read Ameisen's book.

As we are different you must decide what is best for you.

I had no problem having my Dr. give me a script, but then she is very hip and willing to try different methods. It's a commonly used muscle relaxer.

Best to you.

Comment

baclofen

Baclofen dosage and effects

Hi again Ocean, and hi to other members,

I'm another person interested in baclofen, and of the belief that it may be my best option. While I haven't read Dr. Ameisen's book yet, I have read his history and the basics of his baclofen use. A very real problem for anyone wishing to directly follow in his footsteps is the fact that the dose of baclofen he needed to totally suppress his alcohol cravings was a massive 270 mg per day. Here in Australia I have found a doctor willing to prescribe me the drug, but only up to the maximum recommended daily dose of 75 mg per day. I don't know of any legal way of obtaining a daily dose as high as 270 mg, in this country or any other. Obviously hoarding the drug before starting it, doctor-shopping, and online ordering could get around this, but I'm wary of taking such a high dose, one that is several times the recommended daily maximum. I have tried baclofen up to 50 mg per day so far but with no noticeable improvements, and a fairly marked additive sedative effect with alcohol (which could be dangerous and has not, unfortunately, led me to drink less).

I would suggest that Dr. Ameisen's need for such high doses, before he later reduced his daily baclofen dose to 30-50 mg, could easily be have been due to the baclofen taking on the role of detoxification agent, not just as an anti-craving drug. As far as I'm aware he did not undergo a traditional detox process using diazepam, other benzodiazepines, phenobarbital, or any other detox drugs before using baclofen. As most members here would already know, when someone is drinking very heavily on a daily basis, huge doses of detoxification drugs are needed for at least several days to physically withdraw from alcohol. For example, the maximum recommended daily dose of diazepam for anxiety disorders is normally around 40 mg, but for alcohol withdrawal, doses of 80-120 mg or even higher can be needed during a 24-hour period for safe alcohol withdrawal. Maybe this could explain Dr. Ameisen's need for such huge baclofen doses...those of you who have actually read his book can and should correct me on this if I'm wrong. I don't even know if he was still drinking while taking large doses of baclofen. If the doctor was indeed relying on baclofen as an alcohol-withdrawal drug not just an anti-craving drug, then maybe others who are physically dependent on alcohol would need far lower doses of baclofen to treat alcohol cravings if they first underwent traditional alcohol withdrawal using something like diazepam. Traditional detox only takes a week or so, and while not pleasant, it could possibly allow baclofen to begin fighting alcohol cravings much more effectively immediately after the detox, and at a daily dose that is available from a doctor.

My personal belief is that baclofen probably acts as an alcohol substitute, since it's a general central nervous system depressant (as is alcohol) from what I've read. Please realise that I'm not a trained medical professional or researcher, and what I've posted here is simply my own opinion. As such it is open to correction and criticism, and I'd welcome anyone else's opinion, since I'm personally trying to end my own addiction to alcohol.

Best wishes to all,
            Greg

Comment

baclofen

P.S. Sorry for my ignorance of Dr Ameisen's book, I probably should not have posted here before reading it. Regarding the possible need for very high baclofen doses, the doctor has probably already addressed this in his book, and the current Wikipedia article on baclofen has mentioned that people are already being treated with it at academic facilities (it did not specify which ones). In light of Dr Ameisen's experience, I would suggest that low-dose baclofen is probably only useful to people with very mild alcohol problems. A trial of baclofen here in Australia at the RPA hospital in Sydney used only a 10 or 20 mg daily dose (versus placebo), and I don't know of any other trials in this country. Hopefully trials of PROPER daily doses are being done or planned in other countries!

Comment

baclofen

Very interesting topic...
                Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

baclofen

I read Ameisen's book, I do not think I would ever take that high of a dose unless there were other studies. Yes, he was a big drinker, and has (or had) a different use of AL than myself.

I do think the small amount of Bac 10 to 20 mgs per day has helped me emotionally and I think I understand what you are saying that it may act as AL in my brain chemistry.

Let us know what you decide to do, and please report back, I would be interested.:happyheart::happyheart::happyheart:

Comment

baclofen

I will keep you informed of my progress. At the moment I know I will have to detox via traditional means before trying baclofen again (or any other drug) since my level of alcohol use is so high. In case you haven't read another post, in which I stated my level of drinking, I can tell you that I drink every night and spend nearly all the next day trying to get over it, and I have been drinking nightly for a number of years since my last alcohol-free period. My level is about 19-20 standard drinks (24-25 "units") per night and therefore up to 140 standard drinks (175-180 "units") per week. That's a huge, and deadly, intake. Hopefully once I do through detox, and perhaps even a period of time in rehab, my body and mind may react more positively to "normal" doses of baclofen. I wish you all the best with your own progress.

Yes I do think that baclofen acts similarly to AL in the brain, at least in some ways. I have been researching this as much as I can and I'd like to post what I know, but I don't think it's appropriate for me to post medical/scientific details when I'm not formally qualified. If you wish I'll let you know via a PM.

Comment

baclofen

detox

Greg,
                      I've been exactly where you are, huge amounts of alcohol daily for many years. You have to choose what options are the best for you, we're all different (but yet the same!) and respond to different meds in different ways.

Good luck in your detox and continued sobriety. We're in the same boat with you!

Comment

baclofen

Hi all,

I ordered Baclofen a few weeks ago and am on my 2nd week of taking the tablets. I have tirated up to 50mg a day. From what I have read, Baclofen effects the GABA receptors in the brain.
                        I have copied and pasted a link to the article about Dr Amesisen's book that made me decide to order Baclofen.
                        Defeating Brits' alcoholism | Metro.co.uk
                        The amount of alcohol I am drinking is slowly lessening, plus I have a general feeling of calmness (Baclofen is also used for anxiety).
                        Most importantly, I am not obsessing about booze 24/7. I was drinking 2 + bottles of strong wine a day.
                        Will keep you posted.
                        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

baclofen

Hi Amelia, I read the book. I'm interested in your progress.
                          Thanks for sharing.
                          Phil
                          Love and Peace,
                          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

baclofen

Amelia I am very interested in how you are getting on and am considering baclofen very seriously. Please can you keep me updated on your progress. :new:

Comment

baclofen

Hey Cpn and Lostboy,

Will keep you posted. Am now considering going to a private doctor (not the UK's National Health Service) to get a full liver analysis and kidney function tests. I am feeling very chilled out on Baclofen (it is a med for anxiety), but I am not sure I want to be taking high doses without a practioner monitoring me. I no longer want my 'journey' to be on the governments records, hence I am going to book a consultation with a private doctor. I have been assured of patient confidentiality, so just hope he/she is open minded enough to prescribe Baclofen for anxiety and alcoholism.
                              x
                              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Working...
                              X