Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Good morning Modders,
    Hope everyone had a good weekend. My weekend, I'm happy to report was better than last weekend. I did have wine Friday and Sat. night, a little more than I planned, but overall, had a good-feeling weekend. I made some good choices yesterday (sun.) to not drink at lunch (which I had last weekend) and went straight home after class, walked with my husband and son, helped my son study, and just watched TV last night. I have to say that I was so happy with my day. I felt good doing each thing, albeit, simple Sunday things, but just so enjoyable. I didn't have to go to bed too early even though I was up at 6 a.m. The good things are adding up here. The memories of the good things are "sticking much better and longer than they used to. My "binges" are less and less, and the amount has decreased. I still will work towards fewer glasses. For now, I am succeeding! Have a great day all.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

JVO, that is awesome! What a great re-cap of the simple joy of sobriety.

I felt it yesterday, too. Great day with my kids, and no regrets this morning.

I had a sweet bedtime with my nine year old. He's turning 10 this month. Every night he says to me, "you're the best mom in the whole world" and I respond, "and you're the best nine year old in the whole world." Last night I added, "but soon, you'll be the best 10 year old!" He got tears in his eyes, and when I said, "don't you want to turn 10?" he said, "No. I don't want to grow up." I was so touched. I told him, "you have lots of time left to be a kid", but I felt a pang, because really, he doesn't. Childhood is so fleeting. And it made me think how much I want to cherish my children's years of being kids. I want to be sober for these years. I want to remember every bedtime chat and story read together. I want to stay awake while I sing them lullabies, and feel cheerful and rested when they clamber into bed with me in the morning, full of energy and affection. I don't want the buzzes or the hangovers to ever take that away from me, or from them, again.

Anyway, sometimes I just have to put these things out there, so it gets better imprinted in my brain.

Have a great day everyone! Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

I am so glad to hear that, J-vo! You sound good!

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Sara,
        I think about that a lot. How it will all be over so soon. When my kids are at their dad's I miss them. What about when they are grown up?
        I was more into my breaks from the kids when they were very little, now I don't want them gone much, then it's like the party's over.
        Lila

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

It will click...

j-vo,
          Somewhere along the line it will click (it's starting to click for hardheaded me), that the less we drink, the better we feel..duh!!
          I love being aware.
          I love remembering.
          I love thinking thoughts that don't ordinarily come up when my brain is trying to clear the fog away...
          You sound peaceful and clear...
          ~Kid~

j-vo;587395 wrote: Good morning Modders,
          Hope everyone had a good weekend. My weekend, I'm happy to report was better than last weekend. I did have wine Friday and Sat. night, a little more than I planned, but overall, had a good-feeling weekend. I made some good choices yesterday (sun.) to not drink at lunch (which I had last weekend) and went straight home after class, walked with my husband and son, helped my son study, and just watched TV last night. I have to say that I was so happy with my day. I felt good doing each thing, albeit, simple Sunday things, but just so enjoyable. I didn't have to go to bed too early even though I was up at 6 a.m. The good things are adding up here. The memories of the good things are "sticking much better and longer than they used to. My "binges" are less and less, and the amount has decreased. I still will work towards fewer glasses. For now, I am succeeding! Have a great day all.
          It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

I like this hopeful song. I think of the "sweet escape" as sobriety. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2XcqKaXDIY[/video]]YouTube - Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful Of Sunshine
            "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hi all

First, want to thank you for your messages of encouragement last week. I do know my triggers, one is being in a place where the alcohol is free and free-flowing. Another is loneliness. I have worked a lot on depression so that is less of a trigger now.

I want to try to have one or two weeks completely AF (this weekend was AF for me). Also, my binge night is typically mid week so I am going to make a real point of checking in here.

Looking forward to turning things around.

Nancy

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Oney,
                I'm so happy to hear that. We can keep reminding each other of what's really important in our lives.

Lila, how are you feeling today?

Kid, your tracker is most impressive! And the results show in your post. :goodjob:

Hey Nancy, Great job on an AF weekend. Coming here when you have the urge to drink midweek is a great idea. Many times, I've thought about a drink, then told myself, "first, I'll post at MWO. Then I'll see." I always end up getting caught up in what other people have written, and clarify my own feelings and thoughts. We'll be routing for you!

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

I am doing okay, thanks, Sara, a few huge worries, but I am learning to live with worries.
                  About kids, I think I am going to buy some playing cards today, I think that would be a nice family thing to do. Lots of board games are just too tedious for me.
                  Nancy, I think loneliness is a big trigger for me as well. I am doing better depression-wise on St Johns Wort, and of course, that spring is pretty much here.
                  Working out sometimes makes me very angry - I don't know why. I am a little embarrassed to write this...Does that sound funny? Maybe too much time in my head thinking about things. Maybe I should just keep working out until any anger is played out? I don't know.
                  Oney, beach sounds lovely! In the next few summers, I want to get my kids and I to the ocean.
                  Lila

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Sara, Lila, Oney -- Yes, it does go by. I used to tell my two I wanted to put bricks on their heads. Remember this Kodak ad (for those old enough)? Get out your hankies. and your cameras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWVWjdNWC0[/video]]YouTube - 1960s Kodak ad "Turn Around"

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hi all,
                      Yikes! I drank too much yesterday. What a stark reminder of what used to be common in my life, that foggy feeling in the evening, not feeling too great the next day. Things just added up, and I gave in to all of those bad reasons for drinking: my failing dog, and spending way too many hours cooped up in my car with my mentally ill sister. Today is another day, and I'm back on track. No plans for having anything to drink anytime soon, probably not until my birthday at the end of this month.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Sunbeam-I am so sorry about your dear Jack Russell.
                        Toughen up!

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hey Sunbeam,
                          The great thing is, you'll feel better with a free, simple, healthy cure...Not drinking! I can't believe how quickly I bounce back, and am rewarded for not drinking. Tomorrow you'll feel okay again, and every day gets better, as you know. Sounds like it's been a very tough time. I'm sorry.

Day three AF and I feel like a different person. Whenever I experience this, I wonder why I ever drink...Why am I already planning to do it again? Today I was full of energy, cheer, focus, even JOY! I'm not like that the day after even 3 or 4 drinks. Yet I expect to drink when we go on vacation in a couple of weeks. I don't even want to think about trying not to! What a hold alcohol has on me, in spite of my ability to give it up for stretches of time, or days here and there. I have a lot to think about.

I hope everyone else is well. It's helping a lot to come here, so thanks.
                          Sara

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hi again

I had another AF day today. I just need to get through the middle of the week.

Lila: I don't get angry when I work out but I have been very preoccupied. I think the only thing that helps with this is meditation. It's basically a problem with being too much in your head and not enough in your body.

Thanks for the encouragement Sara!

Nancy

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Nancy - My trigger is the free flowing wine events as well. Those ones are tougher than more controlled situations like dinner with hubby. However, I've been doing SO much better since getting on this modding path so I'm pleased with that.

Sunbeam - So sorry about your dog. Pets are like family so I feel for you.

Sarah - Beautiful post about your son. Really it's so important to be wonderful role models and to be there for them as fully as we can be. Pretty hard to do drunk or with bad hangovers that make us snappy and irritable.

Lena - The commercial was Great! I remember one similar but it was with a boy in it. Thanks for sharing...awesome!

Lila, Delta, One - hello and thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts. Can't remember who posted earlier than the names I've seen doing the advanced search but hugs to everyone!
                              Eve11
                              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X