Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions re Naltrexone

Hi All,

I had my doctor prescibe Naltrexone after I read a MWO phamplet stating that it's prescribed to people who have a family history of alcoholism.

I read on the net that you are supposed to have been abstinent before taking it; then I read a post on MWO where someone said they take it an hour before drinking and it blocks the affect of alcohol. Can someone tell me how this drug works. I'm wondering if I should've selected something different. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, what is "The Sinclair Method" I've read when researching Naltrexone?

Thanks, again.

Heyme
    Heyme alm:alm:alm:

Questions re Naltrexone

Here is a thread with info on Naltrexone Heyme

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ism-30588.html

I dont take it myself, but a number of people are having success with it here..

Good luck!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

And another

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ght-30963.html

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

Thanks so much for the information. I'm trying MWO for a second time; I did Topomax the first time and didn't like the side effects. I'm really hoping Naltrexone is what will work for me. Do you take a prescription or just the supplements? Everyone has their own approach--whatever works, right. Thanks, again.

Heyme

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

I just take the supps, Kudzu and lglutamine. They really help me.
          Yes, I have heard that Topa can have side effects. Never give up trying to find your solution though. There will be one.

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

Hi Heyme - I have been doing the Sinclair Method for 5 weeks now with good results. I also followed MWO last year with supps & hypno and then added on Topa late last year with horrible results.

With the Sinclair Method I continue to take supplements (I think everyone should as alcohol depletes the body of so many nutrients) and have continued to do hypno sporadically. I have always responded well to the Hypno and I find it helps reduce anxiety and stress along with cravings.

There is also a forum, here: thesinclairmethod.com • Index page for those who follow the Sinclair Method...lots of information there if you are looking for more.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

I have a question. We are only supposed to take the naltrexone if we plan on drinking, an hour before, right? Well, what if I take it, and then an hour later, I don't feel like drinking at all? Should I force myself to have one to keep to the Sinclair Method, or is it okay not to?

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

Also, so far I've been on it for a week. I've noticed that the first drink is far less exciting than it used to be, but I am still not tapering off too much. A little...does this change with time? I don't want to lose hope!

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

I found that the NAL worked very quickly at making me STOP drinking...I have used it to stop a binge from being a full blown relapse. I was also taking baclofen with the Nal and I found that in less than a week ALL desire to drink was GONE...Thank GOD !!! Baclofen is quit safe and cheap...works for me.
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

H4O and Evie,

Thanks for the information. I will investigate the Sinclair Method more thoroughly. A couple of questions because I don't have a lot of time tonight. Is Naltrexone like Chantrix where it blocks the euphia feeling so much that you don't get any affect and just give up using alcohol? I used Chantrix to quit cigarettes and it worked really, really well. The thing is nicotine is not alcohol. I'm afraid once I stop feeling the affects, stop taking the drug, start drinking and there I am again. Is that your opinions as well?

I have to read up on the Sinclair Method, I'm sure, to see how the program works--I'm just curious. Thanks very much for your help.

Heyme

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

I think NAL blocks the high...and for me it BLOCKED the nagging thoughts of DRINK...I have never used it as they do in the Sinclair Method...My goal was to stop drinking and Nal along with baclofen were of great help to make that happen...without me PULLING out my hair over the constant cravings.
                      There are many others here that have found Nal to work very well for them. I am sure if you keep this thread alive, they will pop in to speak about it. There is a You Tube on Sinclair method...Maybe you should check it out, it gave me hope when I was very low.
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

With the Sinclair Method you take Nal 1 hour before drinking and yes you should drink. It is ok to not drink after you take on occassion - but I would suggest that you should try to avoid that.

The first few weeks are a honeymoon period - many experience reduced cravings and consumption, but this is not a permanent affect. Normally drinking & craving go back up to your pre-Sinclair levels for a few weeks after that...and then eventually they start going back down. It's a 4 month process so be prepared to be very, very patient. But do not get discouraged - it really works for the majority of people (just so hard to wait the 4 months when you are in it!). Most people find it helps to chart your progress and to jot down subtle changes each day/week to keep from being discouraged.

As far as blocking the euphoria - I find it blocks it very subtly, so I still enjoy my wine...it just does not give me that burning, warm feeling that I used to get. But the beauty is I don't miss it. Someone else described it as having a meal without salt - you notice it's gone but after awhile you adjust and don't miss it.

Hope that helps - if you take the pill an hour before you drink, and then drink...you are doing the method properly. I am in my 5th week and have gone from 30+ drinks a week (kept at that level with effort) down to 17 with no effort. My cravings are currently well below what they used to be but still there. For example, tonight I will likely have a few glasses of wine - not because I am crawling out of my skin craving it but I know that every time I drink now on Nal, I am actually helping my cure. I was AF last night without a thought...

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

Hi H4O...thanks for the advice...I will try to be patient. I have already noticed subtle changes even after a week, like drinking the first once VERY slowly, being able to get up and leave the room and not take my glass with me (lol), being interested in other things and not having the drinking be the main activity, not constantly monitoring the amount left and being in a panic to run out and get more...it seems to be losing its power over me...but I still have too many (5-6 glasses a night)...and I am SICK of the hangovers...is it me, or are they just graphically worse on the nallie?

Anyway, I am hoping for the best here...already quite hopeful.:thanks:

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

Evie.Lou;588157 wrote: I found that the NAL worked very quickly at making me STOP drinking...I have used it to stop a binge from being a full blown relapse. I was also taking baclofen with the Nal and I found that in less than a week ALL desire to drink was GONE...Thank GOD !!! Baclofen is quit safe and cheap...works for me.
                            I totally agree with you. For someone who can not stop, the Naltexone can get you off to a great start to STOP DRINKING

There is a lot of controversy about using Nal to stop drinking, but I believe if you just take it for a month and get yourself on the road to be AF, you could be really helping yourself. They say to use it that way is a miss use, that you will drink more than before, but I believe if you truely need "SOMETHING" to get you started Naltrexone has helped me three times successfully to get off the wagon, then it's up to you to have a firm commitment to be AF and if you do not or can not stop the next best thing is to use the Nal with the Sinclair Method.

Or you can also go the other route and do the Sinclair Method.

Comment

Questions re Naltrexone

Has anyone experienced stomach cramps when taking Naltexone? I had awful pains in my stomach this morning. How long after taking Naltexone did you have an AF day? I've been taking it for three days. The second day, I didn't have any craving at all and almost didn't drink. Then the boredom kicked in, so I mixed a drink and had a few. I'm curious as to everyone's routine and schedule. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X