Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not realize until recently that he had had a drinking problem. We all know him from TV and movies of course, and then he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. That diagnosis led him to his worst battles with alcohol, and ultimately his freedom from it. Here is a quote from p. 155 that struck home with me:

"With my diagnosis in 1991 came another shift in my relationship with alcohol. The quantity of my drinking was still down from eighties levels, but the quality of that drinking had changed ominously. I always knew, somewhere in the back of my mind, that my drinking was about filling a void, masking a need to be something more than I was. Now, without the pretense of celebration and camaraderie to veil the abuse, I craved alcohol as a direct response to the need I felt to escape my situation. Joyless and secretive, I drank to disassociate; drinking was now about isolation and self-medication."

The book is a good read and a quick one. I have finished most of it yesterday and today, and I worked all day. I want to get his new one, too (can't remember title). He was just on Oprah last week.

I was thinking of buying the book since my pop was recently diagnosed with parkinson's . now I want to read it even more.
    Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

TV Special tonight

Michael J. Fox has a special on tonight, called "Adventures of an Incurable Optimist" (on ABC, 10 pm EST). I recently read his book, Lucky Man, and also recently learned that he had had an alcohol problem. I don't know if he will discuss that on the show, but I really admire him.

Just an FYI.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know he had a problem with AL either.
        The book sounds good, I'm gonna look out for it at the libuary.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thats sure interesting, its interesting how parkinsons and severe AL withdrawel manifest in the same way! What was the title of the book you read C?

Comment

thnx c s he is a remarkable man,parkinson's ,takes away your dignity,he needed an escape,lot of medical people would give him drugs,is that any better, gyco

Comment

I never knew about his alcohol problem. Is he AF now?

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

His 1st book was called Lucky Man; his new book is called Always Looking Up (or something like that). He has been AF since about 1992, I think.

Comment

I saw the special. How inspritional. I give him alot of credit. It's gotta be tough, but he keeps going. Not a winer like most ppl would be. If he has an al problem who could blame him. Looks like he's conquering both diseases. Wish I could be so brave. My hats off to you Micheal.
                  Starting over again
                  ray:

Comment

I remember Michael J talking in OZ about how he drank heavily as a Canadian- just like an Aussie. In the next Oz interview he expresed concerns that he couldn't stop. One year later he came out as one of us. The next year he had to quit work due his Parkinsons'. I still want to read his books: a most admirable man.
                    Long Road
                    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                    Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                      X