Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women recovering replace passion for AL

Hey MWO members,
    Wanted to share excerpts from this article about women recovering from addiction.

Let's focus and think about the passion we're using to replace AL with. I'm exercising more, writing and reading more and definitely enjoying my family more!

"How Women Recover From Addiction"
    Most Replace Addiction With Another Passion in Their Lives

Women are the fastest-growing segment of substance abusers in the United States: About 2.7 million American women abuse alcohol or drugs, or one-quarter of all abusers, according to the federal Center for Substance Abuse Prevention.

But there is little research on women's stories of how they recover from drug and alcohol addiction, according to Ohio University sociologist Judith Grant.

Grant, a visiting assistant professor, spent three years in a non-profit agency in Canada, where she interviewed 12 Canadian women and 14 Ohio women who have been off drugs and alcohol for at least 18 months

One concept the analysis refutes is that women abandon drugs and alcohol for the sake of their kids, said Grant.

"Children are important, but if these women don't recover for themselves, they generally relapse," she said.

While this study may not be reflective of all women addicts, it implies that some of the earlier studies may have mischaracterized addiction recovery for women The women also could not specify a "turning point" that prompted their recovery; for most the awareness of the need to overcome their substance abuse was a slow process, Grant found. And their success at recovery did not hinge on changing their identities from "addict" to "ex-addict," as the literature suggests, but unearthing their real selves. The women viewed using drugs and alcohol as an activity they were involved in, not an identity they had assumed.

Replacing Addiction With Another Passion
    Half of the women in the study had used a program such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous to overcome addiction, but the other half succeeded on their own.

All of the women have replaced addiction with another passion in their lives, Grant said, ranging from physical exercise to volunteer work to school. Some now mentor other women who are overcoming addiction.

The participants began using drugs or alcohol in their teens or early 20s to mask the pain of family violence and incest, according to Grant, who added that all also reported having a family member who was an addict. These experiences produced crippling low self-esteem, a theme particular to these women's stories.

"I've never heard a male addict, to this day, in my work, talk about a 'lack of self-esteem,'" Grant said.

Grant hopes her findings will be of use to addiction recovery agencies and other organizations that assist women. The strong link between domestic violence and substance abuse should be acknowledged by addiction recovery centers and battered women shelters, she said, which tend to treat each problem in isolation.
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Eve, Very interesting post and it seems to me to have so much Truth about the nature of being WOMAN in it...Thanks for posting.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Eve
      Thanks for posting this. We are different aren't we? Post more!
      Lila

Comment

Eve,
        This is great. Many people here do seem to be searching for a new passion. I have more energy than ever for gardening.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Eve. Very interesting post.
          Starting over again
          ray:

Comment

Thanks Eve,
            I know this is true. Thanks so much for this post.

Comment

Wow, this really resonates with my experience, particularly the part about it not being a "turning point moment" but really a slow process of discovery that I needed to change. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hi Eve,
                Great post. Much of this resonates with me too. I am a male addict, and i have suffered with low self esteem. While these day's, i am one of the most positive, confident people you'd ever meet, as a male, i have been conditioned not to show a lack of self esteem, which could equal weakness, hence vulnerability, in this 'dog eat dog' world. I suspect this may be why the author (of study quoted), may not have heard this from male addicts too often. Just a personal perspective. Thanks again..............G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Guitarista;589892 wrote: Hi Eve,
                  Great post. Much of this resonates with me too. I am a male addict, and i have suffered with low self esteem. While these day's, i am one of the most positive, confident people you'd ever meet, as a male, i have been conditioned not to show a lack of self esteem, which could equal weakness, hence vulnerability, in this 'dog eat dog' world. I suspect this may be why the author (of study quoted), may not have heard this from male addicts too often. Just a personal perspective. Thanks again..............G.
                  Thanks G,
                  I'm not sure I quite agree with the author on that one either (about male addicts not having low self esteem) as I've met plenty of them. But yes, it is harder for males to display their true feelings due to the culture of how boys are raised, e.g. boys don't cry, boys shouldn't display emotion, etc.

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing.

It was an interesting article and I liked how people found other passions other than AL.
                  Some of that I think has to do with just being more motivated because we feel so much more energized and better without a hangover!!

As Frank Sinatra once said: " I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
                  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." ~Frank Sinatra
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

This certainly is a very interesting article. I wonder if women first lose their passion for life and then start drinking, or if they start drinking and then lose passion. Very sure it goes both ways, but an intriguing theory.

In my case, pondering this article, I lost my passion for life first...very caught up in a helping field, secretly hating it, but seeing no way out. Caught up in co-dependency also at home, and then experiencing some personal trauma. I see now, that is when the drinking started escalating and it has continued to do so for 8 years, referring to a serious problem with alcohol (Re: drinking every day).

Something recently happened that has allowed me to gain footing and start getting the passion back in life instead of that endless cycle of "have to's". How funny, it is now, have become determined to quit, but there is a passion behind it, I simply found another one.

Would love to hear more comments about this article.

Eve, thank you for posting this!
                    This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Definitely interesting all the different theories.
                      After trying on and off and mostly half-heartedly to cut back or quit, I definitely had a turning point. My husband walked out after getting fed up and that did it for me. It made me hit bottom and get me right into counseling and AA.

It's done the trick, so I guess whatever works.

At AA I have heard many men at speakers meetings talking about low self esteem and inferiority complexes, so I don't agree with the author in that regards.

Thanks for the though provoking post.

Winefree

Comment

Really interesting, Eve.

I believe that we drink for some reason or other (can`t say if that`s particular to women).........noone drinks for the sheer hell of it. So many people paint their lives as picture-perfect, but I believe those lives still suffer some sort of void, even if the person is unaware as to a void.

Enter DRINK.........women use it as the missing piece of the `puzzle` (their void), only.........they are pushing with all of their might to fit a square peg into a round hole........impossible, but we do/did it anyway, because we must fill our void at any price.

So yes, it is imperative that we each find our passion in life. Without that passion being fulfilled, sobriety as in forever, may be very fragile, always having to be worked at.

Incidentally, can`t say I have ever met a man who suffered from low self esteem, although..........I daresay they are out there somewhere......... :H

Star x
                        Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Great post. Thanks, Eve.

Looking for Hope, I've been pondering which came first in my life. I've been drinking since I was 16, so it's hard to say. I think the drinking preceded my lost passion for life. I hope to get that back. And there is something that definitely comes to mind that I would like to "dive" into.

Comment

" And where did you say these ladies gather...!! Ha! IAD ( Just being a pig ! Ha!)
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Interesting...One reason women drink may stem from low self-esteem and like a viscious circle low self-esteem happens in drinking women. In general, the majority of women are juggling many different balls in the air at one time and we are expected to be show perfection with every ball that we juggle. For the most part, women on this earth have a harder lot in life. When we do have a moment to breath and are given the opportunity to focus on ourselves thats when we can work on or find our passions and therefore a recovery can happen.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Working...
                              X