A Tree grows in Brooklyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

By Betty Smith. My favorite novel ever. A brooklyn family enduring poverty in 1912, a child whose love of books starts her at a and ends at z at the library(every single book). An alcoholic Dad who loves his family but cannot give it up to take proper care of his family as the wife struggles to carry them on. My description is weak. A truly valuable story,delightful in so many ways, you will not be able to put this down.You will laugh, you will cry, you may also get nostalgic with the connotations from our past, most of all, you will love Johnny, the hopeless alcoholic, he is a loser because of his drinking yet he leaves behind so much love you have to forgive him for his mistakes. Because of his weakness you will witness the strength and growth of his own nonalcoholic family, and feel touched by the memory he creates in those that knew him not just as a drunk but a real good friend. Make sure you have a great big box of kleenex and a week to think this one over. You will probably read it again. I have read this so many times I cannot count. I will be back again. There are lessons for us all on every page.

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

Thanks, Comet. I will order this through Amazon. I have a pile of books to read by my chair, but I'm always keeping my ears open for a good read.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

Thanks for this. I have read the reviews on Amazon and decided it's worth ordering.

Should be a good read

F, x

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I have read this book so so many times. One of my fave all time books.

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I love the title. I can't wait to get it!...thank you, and God bless.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I read this book when I was ten and I have read it many times since I love it.

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I did order this book and it was great. Well written, compelling, heart warming and heart wrenching in equal measure.

Usually I put my read books in the charity bags to give away. This one is a keeper. Will definitely read it again.

F, x

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

Thanx guys, I just ordered it too! :thanks:

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I have bought it so many times to give as a gift. My kid got so sick of me saying how I loved it he found a first edition for me as a present. Whenever I feel lonely or sorry for myself I want to hear from Francie, she is my hero and her Mom, Dad, brother, all of them have a point of view worth looking at. Thanks for looking, the book is so worth reading.

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I will look for it at the library, Comet. I've heard of it but never read it. Who is the author?
                    Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

I just read this and then gave it away. Well-written, interesting characters with depth, interesting setting. CS04, just search at Amazon and you will find it.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

love this book!

Didn't read it until last year!! and I'm a middle-aged voracious reader. American to boot.

This very early fiction work deals squarely with alcoholism, rape, poverty, horrible working conditions -- all thru the perspective of a young girl who is curious and honest and earnest.
                        The book also gives you real feeling and understanding for the immigrant experience in early New York City.

great reco!
                        Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

A Tree grows in Brooklyn

just got it from the library. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X