Anti-epilectic drugs kill cravings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all ... I haven't posted in a while although I have been lurking. :l I no longer drink and haven't drank (or I should say gotten drunk) since the beginning of January. I have been thinking of something and I wonder if there is further testing being done in the medical community anti-epilectic drugs being used for alcohol cravings.

I have bipolar disorder. I was self-medicating with alcohol. A couple of years ago, my doctor tried me on Tegretol to help stabilize my moods. Tegretol is an anti-epilectic drug that is also a mood stabilizer and is used for people with bipolar disorder. I noticed that the first time I took it, I completely stopped drinking. The cravings were gone! I looked up online and saw that it's also used for people with drinking disorders. Unfortunately, the side effects were too much for me and I had to stop taking it. And, of course, I started drinking again.

Fast forward to November 2008. My doctor decided to try me on another mood stabilizer. This one is called Lamictal and is an anti-epilectic medication that is also used for people with bipolar. Around the end of December, I noticed that I wasn't getting that euphoric high when I drank. And it didn't matter how much I drank. Instead, I just got real tired and slurred my words, but that was it. In the beginning of January I drank, but didn't get drunk then either. I also started taking Campral seriously in the beginning of January. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep taking Campral because of severe diarrhea. I did do some research on Lamictal but it doesn't state that it is used for people with a drinking problem.

Topamax is also an anti-epilectic drug. Do you see a pattern here?

All three drugs are serious drugs to take. I think that Topamax is the less serious of the three because with Tegretol you have to keep getting blood tests to ensure the dosage isn't too high. Lamictal's has a serious side effect. You can get a life-threatening rash if you dose up too quickly.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

SK
    AF since 1/2009

Hi,
    lot of thoughts on this. I've been put on numerous anti-epilectic drugs....for pain and depression. I was on Topomax for a short while and just said no can't ride out any more side effects. Now I think I should try it again.

The others had very intense side effects for me neurontin(2yrs.., was really bad) pergolide etc.....all the drugs are scary

very worth thinking about if I have to take the drugs anyhow, would love it if one helped with the craving.
    RP

Comment

I just thought it was interesting when I started to think about it. It just seems that anti-seizure/mood stabilizer medications helps some that have a drinking problem. I'm not going to say "everybody" because everybody's brain chemistry is different. It did take four years of working with my psychiatrist to find the right cocktail for me in controlling my bipolar (and various other disorders that I have). Now that I've stopped drinking (and haven't touched ANY alcohol since the beginning of January), my medications are working.

I really hope that everybody with a drinking problem can find that special "thing" that helps them climb out of the bottle. My life has been so different since becoming sober. The way that I think, the energy that I have, just my whole life. I wish this for everybody that has a drinking and/or drug problem. It's such a long road to becoming well again, but definitely well worth it.

SK
      AF since 1/2009

Comment

I do think there is a correlational I am currently taperly off of topa. I also ramped up the number of supplements and have been disciplined (thanks to a supportive partner who helps me perpare my supplement packs).

I think we all have to find what works for us --

During my journey I have "tested" myself and have found that wine does nothing for me... except cause severe leg cramps and almost flu like symptoms. Just not worth it...
        Tiny

Comment

Anti-epileptic medicine is starting to be used in depression. Good idea to ask a doctor if you have both depression and alcohol problem.

Comment

Working...
          X