X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 types of binge drinkers

Nine Types of Binge Drinkers Identified
    Wednesday September 24, 2008

British researchers have studied the social and psychological characteristics of drinkers who regularly consume twice the recommended amount of alcohol and have identified nine types of heavy drinkers. The U.K. Department of Health hopes to use the information to target public health campaigns at those who are drinking at risky levels.
    According to the British National Health Service, alcohol-related illnesses cost the government about $5 billion a year in healthcare expenses.

"This will be a tough one to crack," a spokesperson told Lucy Cockcroft in a report for The Telegraph. "Research found many positive associations with alcohol among the general public - even more so among those drinking at higher-risk levels. For these people alcohol is embedded in their identity and lifestyle: so much so that challenging this behavior results in high levels of defensiveness, rejection or even outright denial."

Nine Types of Binge Drinkers

According to The Telegraph, these are the nine personality types of heavy drinkers:

De-Stress Drinkers use alcohol to regain control of life and calm down. They include middle-class women and men.

Conformist Drinkers are driven by the need to belong and seek a structure to their lives. They are typically men aged 45 to 59 in clerical or manual jobs.

Boredom Drinkers consume alcohol to pass the time, seeking stimulation to relieve the monotony of life. Alcohol helps them to feel comforted and secure.

Depressed Drinkers may be of any age, gender or socioeconomic group. They crave comfort, safety and security.

Re-Bonding Drinkers are driven by a need to keep in touch with people who are close to them.

Community Drinkers are motivated by the need to belong. They are usually lower middle class men and women who drink in large friendship groups.

Hedonistic Drinkers crave stimulation and want to abandon control. They are often divorced people with grown-up children, who want to stand out from the crowd.

Macho Drinkers spend most of their spare time in pubs. They are mostly men of all ages who want to stand out from the crowd.

Border Dependents regard the pub as a home from home. They visit it during the day and the evening, on weekdays and at weekends, drinking fast and often.

What is your opinion? Do you know of any other types of heavy drinkers?

The above is interesting food for thought. Were you/are you a binge drinker? If so, which category do you fit into?
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Good post Eve. I can defintely identify. I think I'm a little bit of all of them. I wish I never drank, but can't do anything about it but stop which I haven't been able to do. Did 28 days and started again. Have been going for a month again. Have to stop. It felt so good being AF. Dumb ass that I am.
    Starting over again
    ray:

Comment

I think I was at least 6 of them...

Comment

Cool thoughts, Eve and I can relate to at least three of them (in my past, thank God!)
        Toughen up!

Comment

The boredom one is really my problem nowadays.... before it was definitely depression.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Comment

"Re-bonding drinker" -- that has really struck a cord with me.
            I was not capable of communicating with out a glass of wine or three down my gullet. I have had to learn a whole new set of communication skills which don't include AL.
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Very low class community drinker here with a pinch of hedonism and a dash of masochism....

Comment

And in a category all of their own with no reasons whatsoever required ..... the irish!
                BH

Comment

mostly i was a 3/4 day drinker,3/4 day sick,and when i felt good for that time in my life,i went back drinking,very clever i was

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

oredom Drinkers consume alcohol to pass the time, seeking stimulation to relieve the monotony of life. Alcohol helps them to feel comforted and secure.
                    thats me

Comment

Mostly boredom drinker. Depression kind of go hand in hand with it. Depressed people don't feel like doing anything and then get bored.
                      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

mostly de-stress, maybe a little depression...funny the "cure" makes it worse in the long run

Comment

I certainly was a de-stress drinker & a boredom drinker. I also drank to quell the constant stream of chatter going on in my brain all the time. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

"De-Stress Drinkers use alcohol to regain control of life and calm down."

Oh yea! A little bit of the others. Was working in the mental health field, spending one on one time at least 5 hours a day with severely mentally ill, day in and day out, along with paperwork that was impossible. Drinking was my way to calm down and gain control of all the trauma that I was not able to deflect. Then started throwing myself into dating sites on top of that, nice combination, lol! Got fired from the job (Thank You God!) and fired the dating sites. Now it is time to calm down with some AL free serenity and healing.

Gosh, thank you all for being here, and thanks to Roberta for giving us a place to work out all these issues with ourselves and each other.
                            This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Oh, and thank you to my last job place for firing my ass in the most de-humanizing way you could with no warning, after spending days and days, and so much energy trying to help other people. I appreciate the nice paid vacation to re-group from that hell-acious job you put me and others through. Now, I have the energy to think about myself for fucking once. (please excuse my language, working through some feelings)
                              This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X