X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch-ch-ch-changes Observing

~"Study the past if you would define the future"
    Confucius~

The subject this week for the changes thread is how have your observation skills changed?

Vlad made a comment on a different thread about how she was more aware of how others were drinking around her.

I have become more aware of how and why I'm drinking and the few times that I've gone over my desired amount I still have not ended up "drunk" like I was in the past. Is observation a factor?? The fact that I am so much more aware of how much I am drinking and am not drinking with wild abandon that I remain more in control? I don't know.

Any thoughts or comments on what has changed for you now that you're moderating and paying much more attention to what you're doing?
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

My observations are much more acute than they had been in the past. I've been journaling what I want to do that particular evening if I am drinking, then I'll journal the next day how it went. Usually I have a plan in place, and sometimes I keep my goals, although other times I don't. When I look to see what happened the next day, I notice what may have been triggering me to go beyond what I'd planned. Although last week I was on vacation and that was a unusual drinking week, I think my awareness of when and how much has changed for the better. I'm observing myself and not so much others. I'll keep doing this, as it's been good for me to see patterns and other major triggers. I notice that I'm drinking slower, drinking water in between, and using the tools and advice that have led others to success. Last week, I noticed that toward the second half of my vacation, I was not keeping myself on track as much, kind of got lazy? I tend to do that while on vacation. Start off strong, then weaken as the week goes by. Journaling is a good tool for observations.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I really do observe the drinking behavior of others way more now. Before, I don't think I noticed at all. We enjoy going to the theater, and I see people having a drink before the show or at intermission, and I wonder why anyone would want a drink in that setting. It would just make me sleepy, less aware and able to enjoy the experience fully.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I agree...

I never drink when we go to the theater now;
        and I see many people racing to the bar beforehand and at intermission.
        I notice, because I used to be one of them.
        It amazes me how much is going on.
        There were times when my wife would elbow me to wake me up!
        Can you imagine?
        How can you even THINK that you are following a play when you are sleeping through parts of it?
        Better sober!
        ~Kid~
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

I love the theater too.

Last time I was there I didn't order a drink (for the first time).

I've started thinking more and more about why I'm drinking and it does seem a rushed and unrelaxed way to enjoy a glass of wine - gulping before the play starts or at intermission time. Makes me feel now that I was kind of desperate for excuses to drink!
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I have spent most of my adult life desperate for excuses to drink, Eve. Now I am free! Thank you for helping me find MWO, my friend.
            Toughen up!

Comment

:H I never used to even consider getting on the river without @ least 3 or 4 beers in my kayak cooler!

Now I bring 2 along, sometimes I drink one,... sometimes I drink two...

But before,... I'd drink whatever I had, then probably stop along the river & get more...(either @ one of the lodges downstream, or bum one from a fisherman )
              I always had to stop & pee a lot more too!

Now days, I think before I pop open another... if I'm paddling back upstream... it's easier, without a belly full of beer! (how many decades did it take me figure that out? geez!)
              The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Judie,
                Yeah, alcohol is stupid juice! There are so many things I have learned here, DUH! over and over again.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Life on Mars...speaking of plays

"Life on Mars" was a recent TV show that I liked alot but concluded with a limited/completed storyline within a season..
                  The title referred to an older David Bowie song...

I say the three words now whenever I'm confronted with a situation that seems almost beyond bizarre to me.
                  It gives me a perspective that adds peace and humor to my day.
                  The world can seem like a play going on around me then, that's entertaining and educational.
                  The world is much more observable sober.
                  ~Kid~
                  It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                  X