The Diaries of Anne Lister (1791-1840)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anne Lister was a wealthy landowner who lived in Yorkshire. These diaries chart her daily life - studying, seeing friends, having leeches applied to ease her toothache (ouch!), taking two days to travel 30 miles in a carriage to visit her father etc.

She was a lesbian and had several lovers on the go. Here, she is visiting one of them, Isabella (nickname Tib), and is concerned about her drinking:

Friday 17 November 1820
    Tib & I had a rowe [sic] about drinking so much wine. She still swore by all that is sacred she never took more than five glasses a day; one at luncheon, one at supper, one at dinner & two at tea. I repeated that I could, if I chose, mention a time when, for several days she not only took more than five but more than six or seven glasses. She called God & all the angels of heaven to witness it was a lie & wished herself at the devil if it was not false. I still quietly persisted that I knew the thing to be fact. I told her a great many home truths.

Saturday 18 November
    Lay so long in bed talking seriously to Tib above an hour. I again gave her to understand that her taking so much wine was generally known & lamented by all her friends. Miss Vallance said the servants here began to talk of Tib's taking so much wine. I told Tib she did not know the injury she did herself. She was now twenty years older in constitution than she was ten years ago &, in fact, much more an old woman than she ought to be at her age. I saw that this made an impression.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Sounds like a good read but exactly the reason I do not keep a diary!

Comment

Lucky, you mean because you wouldn't want someone to discover your darkest secrets? Anne Lister wrote chunks of her diary in code, mainly to protect her lovers' identities. It took the editor of this book two years to decipher what she had written.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes Marshy, that is the reason- and I don't have the patience for code but does sound like a good read.
        Enjoy~!

Comment

Just saw the author of the following book interviewed and it looks good.

Amazon.com: The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite: David Kessler MD: Books

Comment

Ta Marshy.. sounds facinating.. I"ll get it!

Comment

This looks like a good one! I'm looking for something different to read.
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I've reached an (unintentionally) funny part where she catches VD from her married girlfriend, and has to sneakily find some treatment without telling anyone. Opium and a syringe are involved...
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X