Why L-Glutamine works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why L-Glutamine works!

We hear about taking L-Glutamine to reduce cravings but without knowing why it works it’s difficult to believe that it does work.

I have done extensive research on L-Glut. At first I wasn’t making any headway as everyone kept saying the same thing: That’s it’s a powerful amino acid proven effective in double blind clinical trials to reduce cravings for alcohol. But no-one was explaining WHY it works so it’s been hard for me to believe that it does work.

Then I came across an article by Dr. Patricia Slagle who explains best why L-Glut is effective. First of all:

L-Glut 101:
    Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in circulation in our bodies. It is a major fuel source & therefore energy source for the entire body. It is an important fuel for the brain & can provide adequate energy in the absence of glucose (the other major brain fuel). For this reason it is helpful with focus, concentration, memory, intellectual performance, alertness, attentiveness, improving mood and eliminating brain fog & cloudiness. (All the more reason to take it gang!)

This gets too deep medically so in laymen’s terms alcohol may cause exaggerated insulin secretion resulting in severe hypoglycemia (too low blood sugar).

When the blood sugar is low, Glutamine suppresses insulin to stop the further decline of the sugar levels. It also stimulates glycogen (a stored form of glucose) to be released to help increase the blood sugar to normal levels. These blood sugar stabilizing effects may partially explain why it decreases alcohol cravings, as well as sugar cravings. In studies with alcoholics, 2000-3000 mg 3 times daily decreased the desire to drink, decreased anxiety, & improved sleep. It works best given between meals. It has been used for this purpose in daily doses from 6000-15,000 mg in 3 divided doses. Use upon arising, mid-morning & mid-afternoon between meals.

L-Glutamine may be taken on a daily basis, or kept on hand to manage "craving emergencies" in which the powder from half a 1,000 capsule is poured directly under the tongue. Many MWO members have shared this info with each other stating that this works for them when they are undergoing severe cravings.

Giving Glutamine to rats decreased their voluntary alcohol consumption by 34%. When the Glutamine was stopped, their alcohol consumption returned to baseline levels.

Studies using high dose Glutamine have failed to demonstrate toxicity. However Glutamine should be avoided in cases of acute liver failure & kidney failure.

Precautions: Glutamine should not be taken by persons with cirrhosis of the liver, kidney problems, Reye's syndrome, or any type of disorder that can result in an accumulation of ammonia in the blood.

To our good health!
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Why L-Glutamine works!

Thanks Eve for sharing this. I just started taking Glut again, as I have been having severe cravings! I have only been taking 1,000mg in the late afternoon, and so far it appears to help, but I think I will take more as the weekend is here.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your research!

R2C
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
    :h

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

thank you Eve!

L Gut is also fantastic for those of us taking up exercise/sports as a new healthy coping mechanism. It helps us during exercise by providing more available blood glycogen, boosting blood nitrogen for lean tissue repair, and it helps your body to release it's own natural GH (growth hormone steroids)

I put a rounded teaspoon in my protein smoothies, and put another dose in the water I drink before and during workouts.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

Hmmm- I have to do a brain accomodation for this info. I have also thought Determinator was the main voice for the validity of glut but now he has a co-hort! Thanks evie. Good info! Required info for alkies- or should be.

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

the more research voices the better!
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

That is fantastic info Eve, thanks!

I also used L-Glut when I quit the twaks, and it does really help. In fact a friend of mine was visiting the other night and she mentioned that she really "needed" a cigarette, gave her a teaspoon of L-Glut and I had to remind her later that she had had a craving as she'd forgotten all about it - brilliant.
            As you know I am really craving the sweet stuff at the moment so I am using L-Glut to help control that - so far so good.

For this reason it is helpful with focus, concentration, memory, intellectual performance, alertness, attentiveness, improving mood and eliminating brain fog & cloudiness.
            I am wondering whether I should give it to my daughter who is ADD and been on Ritalin for the last 6 years. We are working on this year to find a solution and alternative medication for her to try as she'd like to be free of the Ritalin by next year.

Again, thanks for posting Eve.

P.S. Those poor rats!!
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

Wow, alot to take in, maybe I should try this. Thanks!

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

I'm a firm believer in it!
                Unfortunately, I've been out my powdered L-Glut & have been using 500mg capsules the past few days, till my order gets here... Huge Diff!
                The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

:bump: for Red
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

I just came from Vitamin World and got my L-Glut in powder form. I am hoping for success with sugar cravings and nic cravings. I just put it in V8 and you can't taste a thing. When I first went AF I depended upon L-Glut for the cravings for AL but tapered off and stopped using it after awhile. It sounds like something I should take all the time. Thanks for all the info. Krigs
                    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

Interesting.......

....great thread Eve...very interesting. Its good of you to share your research with us all. You write it well too. Very succinct.

Keep em coming!
                      love Mooooo
                      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

Thank you Eve and Det for sharing this most helpful information. I take 3000mg, twice a day and now with taking the Kudzu, I have noticed a huge reduction in cravings. Keep those curious minds working.
                        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

I want to second the poster who noted the big diff between the capsules and the powdered form of L-Glutamine. I've used the capsules before and never noticed any effect. I got the powder this last time and WHAT a difference. The craving seem to go away within a minute or two if you let some dissolve under your tongue. I am really impressed. I take a teaspoon at a time.
                          Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                          That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                          Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                          Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

I have some powdered stuff from the weight training section of the drugstore, and one serving is 5 grams. Is that too much? It is quite a bit more than the recommended amount. Maybe I should spread it out over the day into 3 doses.

Comment

Why L-Glutamine works!

Thank you, Eve .... I have also been wondering the "why" of it all. I haven't used L-Glut for months, actually ... Today, I will purchase some. Thank you!
                              AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X