Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meds for insomnia, depression during abstinence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am a very heavy drinker (20+ standard drinks per night, every night) and a 41 y.o. male, who has had previous periods of total abstinence lasting weeks or months after spending a week undergoing traditional detox (i.e taking diazepam under medical supervision to reduce the dangerous withdrawal symptoms of suddenly quitting alcohol). I have tried many treatments after detox and also read a lot about alcohol addiction and some of the medications used in its treatment.

I would like to know if anyone reading this has experienced effective relief from insomnia and/or depression while abstinent from alcohol. Chronic insomnia was a major factor in my giving up on a previous 2-month period of total abstinence, and depression/loneliness also fuels my drinking into oblivion each night. I'm not looking for sympathy or trying to get attention, I just wish to know if others have found ways of dealing with these problems after becoming alcohol-free. I'm pretty sure I'm not unique in experiencing this sort of difficulty after giving up the booze, so I'm posting this in the hope that it may also help others. I also know a new lifestyle is needed to replace drinking with interests, work, and other positive activities.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered. I only have a slow dial-up connection that ties up my family's phone line, and I am only online a few hours per day due to the side-effects of drinking at my current level.

Best wishes to all,
    Greg

Hi Greg,

Have you tried melatonin for the insomnia? Not being able to sleep drove me nuts too when I first stopped drinking. The melatonin helped until my sleep patterns started to get back to normal.

As for depression, how about exercise? It's supposed to be more effective than any medication. I haven't suffered from depression but an exercise regime has been one of the mainstays of my sobriety. It could help with the loneliness too, if you take classes or join a sports club or something.

Good luck!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Greg,

My doctor prescribed Trazadone for insomnia. It also helps with depression and is not addictive at all.

I do have to take it just as I pop into bed because it does make me so tired.

Good luck!

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I;m suffering too with the insomnia. Reason why I drank, to help me sleep, although it wasn't restful sleep. Anyway, now using the trazadone as well. Also drink tea with velarian in it and use the calms forte.

they don';t always work, but it;s worth a try.

Best of luck.

WF

Comment

Hey Greg. I feel your pain mate. I haven't slept properly for a very long time. Melatonin is not available in Aus by the way. I was taking Temazepam for a long time and it helped, but please do not go down that path. It's addictive and has a rebound effect on insomnia when you get off it. It's a shocking thing to get off as well. I will say, yes, drinking gives you some sleep, but it isn't really sleep. It's losing consciousness. I'm about to undergo a sleep study to try and solve my problem. However, in the meantime, I am getting up at the same time every day, no matter how little sleep I have had and shoving my face into daylight immediately. It is supposed to reset your circadium rythmn. Sorry, can't spell today.
          Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
          AF May 23 09 to July 09
          AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Hi Greg
            I have found melatonin useful. I order from this
            website but there are plenty of others around.
            I've never has any probs getting it through customs
            as long as you only order up to 3 months (I think it is)
            personal supply. Yes they always open it up too!
            It's worth a go and it's not too expensive either.
            Good luck!

Comment

I had to order melatonin online too coz it's not available in the UK either. Wonder where it IS available :H
              sigpic

Comment

US.
                Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Um, yes. I know that. It was a joke.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for telling me of your experiences. Melatonin is actually available in Australia if you can get a doctor's prescription for it. It's not sold as an actual product but rather has to be made up for you by a "compounding chemist" once you give them your script. I'm pretty sure it's full strength, not homeopathic. However if ordering it here doesn't cause hassles with customs then I'll give that a go. My sleep pattern is way out (going to sleep at 4-5 AM and getting up at midday or later) and I've read that it's especially good for resetting sleep cycles. I read about trazodone ages ago but will read up on it again. Yes I agree that exercise should help the depression and I'm looking around to find a gym that's not too expensive...also looking at joining a local bicycle group. Thanks for the temazepam warning too. Luckily I haven't fallen into that trap since I've read quite a bit about benzodiazepines. I'd say that all drugs in that group can be dangerous especially to people who've had addiction problems already, and I'm only planning to take one of them, diazepam, soon for a week. I'm looking at booking myself into a detox clinic to do that, even though I can get the pills from a doctor and do it myself at home.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone,
                    Greg

Comment

Best wishes mate. Melatonin is only available through the homeopathic stuff tho.
                      Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                      AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Hi Greg:

I went through the same sleepless nights when I started to tapper down and drink less, the good news is that it does not last so long, eventually you will sleep through the night and deeper than before.
                        Someone on here suggested mixing ovaltine or horlicks in warm milk before going to bed. It did wonders for me. I dont need it anymore but it works.
                        "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

Working...
                        X