Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Morning my modder friends.

Thanks for all the support -- it's like having a whole lot of best friends that I can lean on -- I'm very lucky to have you all.

When DH left for work this morning (in my car!) he asked me to please make sure my happy pills work today!!:H
    Yes, I was in the foulest of moods yesterday but seriously who wouldn't be mad about their hubby drving him and his chommies around whilst in that state. What really got my goat was that his friend's FIL had offered before hand to drop them off at the game and pick them up later, so really there was NO excuse for hubby to drive (other than ego). And now because of his drunken stupidity the car is wrecked and it'll cost a small fortune to fix.:upset:

BUT yesterday is over and today is a new day.

I saw such a funny sight yesterday. It was pouring with rain, and I looked out of the kitchen window down to the bottom of the garden and saw a troop of monkey sitting on my daughters trampoline -- all the babies were running backwards and forwards accross the trampoline and the older teenagers all sitting around the rim watching:H It was too sweet.

I am working from home today so nothing too strenous is planned, a couple of reports to finish, maybe a quick trip around the garden considering the sun is shining and a spot of baking is in order.

How is everyone today?

Sun, I am so pleased you are still reading if not posting. It's a pity about the Gardening thread but I can see peoples concern over it getting a life of it's own. How is your garden doing -- is the weather warm enough to get stuck in yet?

Eve, your post about drinking and driving.... well.... the less I say on the topic the better. I agree with you in your conclusion that it's safer to NOT drink at all if you are going to drive.

Sprokets, your mothers day celebrations sounds a great success - I will be honest in saying that I was slightly jelous when I read it - lucky Mrs Strocket!
    And yes you are quite right, by next week I'll be laughing about DH and his antic's.... just not till next week:H

Vladster, I have often needed that .5 on the DT and really felt my nose put out of joint by having to select the next number

Sara, congrats on your AF-ness this weekend. I am so proud of you for just being upfront with your Mom and telling her that you just aren't drinking -- Power to you woman!!
    Sounds like you are making headway with DH.

Judie, that paint job sounds hectic.... I seriously admire your energy. Happy birthday to Mr StJ, I hope he had a good one.

Wishing everyone a fantastically happy week this week
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Hi Modders!

Sorry I missed everyone this weekend, I had the grandchildren from noon on Friday until 3 on Sunday. There are three of them, ages 8, 6 and 3. The 8YO and 6YO love to play on the computer at the webkinz site and nickjr, so I had no time at all on my computer at all! I love spoiling them then sending them home to their parents haha. My husband calls it "Liberty Hall" when the grandkids are visiting. They get almost everything they ask for. Although, I did not know kids could eat as much cereal as they do, I lost count at how many bowls of cereal I poured. The 3YO did not want to wear his clothes at all so he ran around without the entire time he was there. I gave up on getting him dressed.

One good thing about having the grandkids over is it keeps me sober. I don't drink when they are there, I'm too afraid an emergency will come up. Also I just don't have the energy to keep up with them if I have a couple of drinks in me so it was good to have them help me break that weekend drink habit I've fallen into.

DeeBee so sorry to hear about your crap weekend.

A long time age I quit putting any emotional emphasis on things like Mother's Day, my Birthday, etc. That way I am never disappointed. Of course, I never get gifts either! :H

Just catching up on all the threads, hello to everyone to come!
    vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Hi All:

Checking in:
      Sorry to hear of DeeBee's and Sara's struggles weekend struggles. Judi: hope you and Hubs connected to celebrate his birthday. . . and that everyone else had some nice Mothers Day time.

My Mothers Day was just so-so. Dear Daughter was here for Sunday morning and had a little gift (earriings). But mostly I'v been lonesome and feeling sad about my Mom who is mid stage alzheimers but has been declining recently. I was glad to be back to work today, and yoga tonight. Am trying to plan a trip to Minnesota for mid-June to visit my folks. I feel truly "sandwiched" between aging parents and a challenging teenager. and lonesome to boot. On the positive side I have good friends, a great job, terrific health and all of you for support. I've volunteered to raise funds for Alzheimers in May, so I'm going to channel my "worry energy" to that effort. End of whine Somtimes life is just hard - for each of us. So thanks for being there to listen.

Best to all

Ask

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

HEY - WHERE'S EVERYONE????

Cf, I was thinking of you just this morning -- heard on the news that Lance A finished 5th.
        You are such an amazing Gran, I can just picture little one tearing around the house naked lol!! Yes, I know I should'nt have any expectations when it comes to special occassions but I just love spoiling other's and it's not reciprocated (sp?) I did read once that when giving, give with your heart and don't "expect" anything in return -- as in there must be no conditions attached to my giving -- but I see I've failed that little exercise.

Ask, I went to a meeting at my daughter's school last night that opened my eyes a bit. The school my daughter goes to does things slightly different to normal main stream schools. The Waldorf Curriculum is essentially aimed at supporting the healthy balanced development of the individual. The outcome of this process is to equip the individual to participate in and contribute to society. It is not primarily driven by learning outcomes, which are merely subject or skills-orientated.
        My daughter's guardian (they aren't called teachers) was giving us a talk last night about the changes our children are going through or will be going through at their age (13 to 14). One thing that really stuck with me was he said that when the child "plays up" they are really exerimenting with who they are and putting their feelers out to see if their "ego" is accepted. His suggestion is to ignore the behaviour -- don't comment on it at all. The reason being that we are then highlighting the bad or un-acceptable behaviour which will then be first and foremost in the child mind.
        (big sigh) well that is all easier said than done let me tell you!!!
        Sending you a huge hug from accross the pond.

Well, my day is slowly winding down. I have been at a trade expo all morning lugging a heavy bag of catalogues around so I'm pooped.
        The weather is just so fantastic today -- I love this time of the year -- so I'm gonna have a jog later and then I think I'll braai the chicken breasts for dinner.

Have a wonderful day everyone (where ever you are hiding )
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Ask,
          My best friend from high school just lost her dad and he had Alzheimers as well. Her letter was heartbreaking...how she and her mom were just two nice ladies that came to see him. There's a good t.v. show about it coming out that Maria Shriver is involved in (her dad had it as well) so try to catch it.
          May be psychologically helpful to watch.

DeeBee,
          Your daughter's school sounds Very interesting! So much psychology involved with raising kids that's for sure. DeeBee, I've never mentioned it but I LOVE you monkey stories. I used to have a woolley monkey when I was in my early 20's. Very intelligent - close to the chimp in intelligence. It was so much fun - like a baby!! We were always the rage when we would go out.

Was able to experience what being a celebrity would be like as people would surround us asking questions, taking pix, etc. (To be honest...it would be a PAIN to be a celebrity!!) Got real old with being bothered constantly. But I couldn't blame them for being intrigued. He was such a neat little guy.

Hope everyone is doing well. I've been adding to the "Do the math" post with medical tales.

Honestly, it's great to be able to mod but there's that balance of remaining healthy and the finer balance of maybe not even making it sound so easy (esp. for newbies wondering if they can do it) because I personally think it is more difficult than just choosing AF.

It seems almost daily I honestly am thinking about drinking. I imagine how that nice glass of wine would be after work. But then reality hits and I think "I won't be as attentive to the kids on a school night", "I won't sleep as well", "I won't be as movtivated to get up tomorrow and get things done" and before you know it the fantasy of the nice glass of wine has become cranberry and seltzer and I ALWAYS feel great the next day. For me now, seem to only want to fit that fantasy into a vacation night or a week-end night when there's no school for the kids the next day. But I probably do think about it more because I allow myself to still have it whereas someone AF is saying no, no, no and pretty much putting it out of their mind.

Yes, a fine balance. Can be the good life but IMO it's diligence and perhaps harder work.
          Hugs,
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Hi Modder friends, I haven't been posting much here because I hadn't been modding very successfully lately. I am slowly getting back to where I'm in charge and I feel much much better for it.

I'm supposed to be getting my Air Conditioning installed today. I'm spending my tax refund this year on it. We've always had evaporative cooling which I like but takes a lot of maintenance and my husband just isn't up to climbing on the roof anymore. It's getting close to 100?F here every day although the nights are still cool.

It is quiet at work this morning, I'm getting all caught up on all the posts I missed over the weekend and yesterday. Once I'm caught up I'll be able to respond individually to each of you, but until then just know you are all in my thoughts. Take care and stay well.
            vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Too busy to post at present. I'm not the thread's best modder but I'm doing OK! Yeah!
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Hey Everyone,
                I've been busy, too. Just stopping in for a quick hello.

Cyclefan, you sound like a wonderful grandma!!! I wish either my mom or my mother in law would spoil my kids like that! They both seem to feel they need to provide discipline (which sometimes feels more like criticism of me than anything else!) Grandmas should spoil! I see the way my mom is with my kids, and I know what I missed out on as a child. She acts like they talk a bit too much, move a bit too much...Eat the wrong things, dress the wrong way. Ugh.

Eve, I loved your summary of the reasons you give yourself not to have that wine. I've run through the exact same list the last two nights. I agree, it's a lot of work. Sometimes I think it would be less of a struggle to abstain altogether, but that's a step I don't seem to be able to take. I love the days when, for whatever reason, drinking hardly crosses my mind. But there aren't many of those.

Ask, I'm sorry about your mom. I pm'd you... Loneliness is hard, I know. My thoughts are with you!

DeeBee, thanks for the post about what you learned at your daughter's school. It sounds like good advice for dealing with younger kids, too. The school sounds great.

Vlad, I'm glad you're checking in, if only briefly. Are you staying away from the vodka? You know we're here if you want to vent!

My hubby's away, and the kids and I are doing very well together, I must say. I feel pretty peaceful.

Love to all,
                Sara
                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Oi, what's going on here?? It's hump day and we haven't even got to page two yet.... where are ya all, huh????

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Seems really quiet on the modders thread at the moment - is that a good sign????

It's a wet and miserable hump day here in England - yuk. But the good side of that is that there is very little pollen around to irritate all of us with hayfever etc.

I was almost a star today!! BBC wanted me to be interviewed on the lunchtime radio show to talk about fostering (it's Foster Care fortnight in the UK at present, trying to encourage more people to take it up). I had to say no as it sounded terrifying to be interviewed live on radio, I just know I'd say the wrong thing and get into awful trouble!! You see you have to be very realistic about the kids you get to look after and actually quite cynical about what the Social Workers tell you (in my experience pay more attention to what they DON'T tell you!). Really don't think that's going to encourage many to take it on is it? Also I sound about 12 and giggle too much.

Vlad - how is that piano???

Luv to all
                    Bx

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Vladster, you don't have to be the best modder, just jump on in and let us know how you are doing.
                      For me personally, I found that when I stayed away from MWO if I was going through a bad time that it just got worse. We are here for YOU and want to support you, so let us know how you're getting on, okay?

Sara, I felt really sad when i read about your Mom's role as grandma. My Dad can drive me dilly sometimes but he is such a wonderful grandpa. He just love to spoil my daughter (his only grandchild) and likes nothing better than to pick her up on a Friday and spend the whole weekend with her. He'll take her to the beach for breakfast, my Mum will teach her to cook cheese scones and together they all get up to all sorts of nonsense which isin't allowed at home -- you know, like staying up watching movies till midnight lol.
                      I am very grateful to have wonderful parents who love and support me -- thanks for the reminder.

Eve, my Mum had a monkey when she was a kid living in Kenya and she said he too was the sweetest thing ever. I loved reading about your wooly monkey -- now I have an image of Eve and her monkey that puts a smile on my face:-)
                      I wish I had've read your post last night before I poured that glass of wine. What you said is so true and really last night was NOT a special occassion. I woke up horribly late for work this morning (funny how that one glass can really affect my sleep) and so my day has been a pear-shaped since.

CF, I would LOVE an aircon at home. We used to have one in our old house and I think it's just the height of luxuary for me -- that and a dishwasher would be the bomb.
                      How is work going? You mention it's quiet -- is that because you're ontop of things or cause business is quiet?

Well, I bounced the boobs on the tarmac yesterday and I must say that I am enjoying it more and more. My dear sister even asked me last night if we should consider running the Comrades. The Comrades Marathon is an annual event here which is run alternatively from Durban to Pietermaritzburg and visa a versa -- this year is an up run. It averages on about 89km's and is rated one of the best marathons in the world. We have runners coming from all over the world to participate and last year a Russian won. Anyway, my father has run 22 Comrades and has been the head referree for about 10 years so our family has been heavily involved in it for many years -- the family joke is that us kids were brought up on the side of the road watching my Dad run.
                      This is not a decision to be taken lightly and it is something for which you train for years before hand to qualify so although my sister asked tounge-in-cheek I think my first goal is to finish the ladies 10km run in July and work from there.

I hope you are all too busy living the mod life to check in -- I am thinking of you......Judie, Kid, J-Vo, Sun, MM, Sprokets, Ask and all lurking -- HAPPY HUMP DAY!!

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

MM, how exciting to be invited to talk tho!!!
                        LOL at you giggling -- I too have been accused of this.

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

HIYA MODDERS...

I am now officically joining you on the mod/occcasional drinking side of life. So, I will be trying to keep up with this thread more and posting more here when flipping time allows. Looking foward to it.

MADMUMMY - I am UK too and began the process of becoming a foster parent a while ago but we put it on hold as we had many concerns. Can I PM you about this subject please as you sound as though you know whats what. Let me know.

Happy hump day to all...Im off to the gym now...YAY!

Mooooo
                          "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                          but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Welcome aboard Moo -- it's great to have you posting here:-)

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 5/11

Just a quicky to say that I've just heard the interview on the radio (that I was invited to do) and it was horrible! The guy asking the questions was such a prat and I would have had to answer the questions quite honestly and not been able to spout the tripe the local authority spokesman did so well!!

Phew, glad I side stepped that one.

And he didn't sound 12 or giggle once let alone all the time...... like what I do.

Bx

Comment

Working...
                              X