thoughts on Campral, Naltrex.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. I hope no one minds my starting a new thread, although these issues may have already been addressed in other threads. I am desperate for some help in getting started ----had always been kind of averse to trying any of the meds because I am already on two meds: Zoloft, and a very low doze of Clonazepam. i know many people freak out when they hear about the second, but I'm pretty convinced it's safer than most of the benzo's. i only take 0.5 mg. and may cut back to half that amount, or may cut it out altogether ..
    anyway, i am very interested in Campral or Naltrex -- a little less so in Topa or Baclofen. looking for feedback ... side effects .. it says you shouldn't drive ,etc .... i'm looking for a very mild drug with few side effects. well, aren't we all .. Thanks for any help!!!
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Dexterhead,

My doc just put me on Klonopin .5 mg ( the 1 mg put me to bed ) and I am on Lexapro and Abilify.

She said she has had good success with Naltrexone. Really good success. She wasn't even adverse to me speaking about the Sinclair method and extinction because that is what she does for her opoid users with Suboxone - which is a biprophone (sp?) and a similar drug to Naltrexone.

If I can't stay sober for 30 days, I am going to try the Naltrexone.

Campral did nothing for me. Well, it did give me gas and diarrhea...

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

thanks Cindi! I haven't been on here much lately ... hope you are doing well.

Comment

I have tried all the anti craving meds and I found Baclofen to be the best in ALL respects. Least side effects, least cost, least intertference with other meds.and takes the cravings away ....works well with other meds such as Naltrexone and Topa. It's my first choice.
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I can not help but chime in when I see Naltrexone. Naltrexone for abstinense has a very poor track record. No better than plecebo. We all had a Nal honeymoon but that quickly subsided. The only way Nal has worked is within the contect of the Sinclair Method. The protocol is very different and I know Evie is aware of that. I won't promote it but if you are interested, I would encourage you to read the Eskapa thread or stricly Sinclair thread.

I do not recommend mixing Naltrexone with other meds.

Comment

thanks to each of you. still confused.. so much information out there .

Comment

I saw a news special on addiction and they liked naltrexone and the success rate.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

humm....I recently went to my doc and renewed topa. I am truthful with him and he actually doesnt think I am alcoholic. (Probably cuz he is...lol) anyway he thought a renewal of topa was better. Cuz it helped with other symptoms of mine. Like menopause and moods. Anyway....he didnt want to give me nal cuz that was more for alcoholics. And he didnt think that was me. humm....I know I am.

problem for me is that I dont really want to stop drinking right now. The stress is to much. So nothing will work until I am in the righ the mindset.
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

Travel with Meds

Gabby, I am so there with you. 52 years old, and all that entails. For about a week I have been on Baclofen and Naltrexon. I know it takes time, but in one week I travel to the Czech Republic. Has anyone dealt with the medications and US customs? Do I risk bringing the meds with me? I would hate to interup my schedule.
                  :teeter:

Comment

Naltrexone

Cinders, I see you are a senior member here with many posts. I too am on Klonipin .5mg. and doing the Sinclair Method. Dr. Eskapa had a vague response to my questions about benzo's and the method, hamper was the word! Not sure about all of this because I am very new to the menthod. I am taking the Naltrexone and still drinking per the program the difference that I see however is no difference and I am wondering if that is because of the klonipin. I have been on that forever. I am surprised that your doctor just put you on klonipin and is now suggesting naltrexone, kinda strange. I would have to go through a withdrawal process on the klonipin to get off of it but you are just starting???? You are on antidepressants also. I would really wonder about this doctor! Sounds like overmedicated to me. Just my opinion having been there myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X