My God this is like looking in a mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stumbled across this forum by following a link from the Spectator and have been reading the stories in this section. My partner is downstairs drinking wine and I am upstairs crying while I read this because it reflects exactly what I have been going through the last year and a bit.

We have had some very rough times, complicated by the fact that he also suffers from depression. He was on medication for this (paroxetine, also known here as Aropax) but went off it beginning of last year and the drinking started, and has caused no end of problems since. I have lost a few friends in the course of this, some of them good too. And last week he hit me for the first time, which was a huge shock for me.

As part of the fallout from this we are splitting/ seperating hopefully on a trial basis. We will be together for the next six weeks until he moves into a place of his own. From reading some of the threads it looks as if I am codependent, which has not helped.

I dearly love him, and he is a wonderful man, gentle, kind and loving, until he gets drunk.... He does acknowledge that he has a problem, and sometimes stops for a short while, but then it starts again. He did start taking his meds again in February, and I hoped things would get better after that. But they haven't. Hopefully once he has moved out he will actually start to heal and get better.

He does have a number of issues which complicate matters, but if the drinking stopped then maybe he could deal with all the other stuff properly.

At the moment though, it is a matter of getting through this day by day. Every time he starts drinking I am getting so stressed and anxious and depressed, I dont know how to handle it. I am having real trouble putting a brave face on it, but I have to keep going to work and also have to do a couple of speeches in the next couple of weeks. Not too intimidating in themselves but on top of everyting else I am feeling overwhelmed.

I hope things will get better for all of us

Regards
    Peter

Hi Peter from another Aucklander.
    I'm so sorry you're going through this rough time right now.
    Let's pray the meds work soon...but realistically alcohol negates any affect the ADs might have.
    I don't know how to approach it...obviously his drinking is getting out of control. Maybe counselling will help him deal with some of the other issues and lead him to realise that he needs to do something about his drinking. If he won't go alone maybe you could suggest couples counselling??
    Good luck with your speeches and remember NO-ONE deserves to be hit. Your man is probably hurting a whole lot about that at the moment...but without help it doesn't go away. If you do bring it up with him make sure it's when he's sober, and preceed it with "I love you and want things to work out for us..." or something like that.

Again, good luck friend.
    xo

Comment

Hi Peter,
      Wishing you a warm welcome.
      Hearing how our drinking affects our partners and those around us is always an eye opener for me -- alcoholics or problem drinkers are very self absorbed in their own little worlds.
      Ditto what Angel has said -- you do NOT deserve to be hit!! That is a huge NO-NO!!
      I am relieved to hear that you are moving out and hopefully like you say, the space will be enough for him to come to his senses.

Please, stay close -- we are here to help and support you.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Peter,

Sounds like you're having a horrible time.
        One thing I'd like to add to what's been said above: can you show your boyfriend this site? It could be a first step for him to get some help. I found it a very useful way of easing into sorting out my drink problem.
        I hope things improve for you, and he gets some help with his drinking.
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

G'day Peter,
          Depression and alcohol can be a lethal mix. And with alcohol also being a depressant, your partner needs to firstly stop drinking, as you are aware. There is absolutely no excuse for him being violent to you, and he must stand up and take responsibility for that. Any kind of abuse, physical, emotional, financial, verbal, you shouldn't have to put up with. I think you are spot on when you say if his drinking stopped, maybe he could deal with other issues. This is necessary, for his own well being too. Can he discuss a plan with a doctor?
          Best wishes, and take care of you, even if it means you have to move out right now.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you all so much for the kind words, this means a lot to me. Interestingly enough he actually patched things up with three of my good friends yesterday afternoon, which was lovely... but then it all turned to custard when I admitted to him I had been contemplating moving out temporarily because his drinking scared me....

So it went from great to awful, he is OK now this morning, what this afternoon holds is anyones guess. I think he does realise that things are made worse by his drinking, he just cant get free of it at present.

Regards
            Peter

Comment

Working...
            X