just started naltrexone-bf broke up w me =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi everyone... my boyfriend broke up with me a week ago and im crying and extremely depressed, i cant imagine life without him. im a total mess,, not sure what to do with myself. he was controlling a bit and i knew we werent right for eachother.. knew it, just dont want to go through his pain.. and knowing he'll move on.. ugh

i just took my naltrexone today 25mg, and its a nighnt after big drinking weekend, but i must say today i didnt care to much to drink.. it could either be the naltrexone or bc i drank a ton this weekend, or bc im very depressed so i dont care to drink. thtas the way i am, if im THAT down i dont want to drink. but i think its the nal to be honest...lets cross my fingers! however i am nautoues as hell.. didnt take it with a real meal.. been vomiting.. i hope that its bc i didnt eat food with it and that i wont be this nauteous if i do eat with it.

how do i deal with my breakup? it honestly feels better when someonee close to me dies than this..

All you can do is let time pass, time heals everything. Just take care of yourself and build yourself up. If you don't take care of yourself, the next person in your life will not take care of you. Its just the way it is.

Glad you do not feel like drinking, the medicine helps, the rest is up to you. Stay strong......
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

thanks, i appreciate your good advice.. i know time heals wounds..

Comment

This is my first post, but I read yours and my heart goes out to you. It's hard to deal with this addiction if you don't have support. I've been taking naltroxene for about 3-4 weeks (doing the Sinclair method, read up on it if you don't know what it is), and it's very common to feel nauseated the first few days. I did, too. It does go away, though. Nal makes you a little alcohol-voidant when you take it at first, but this doesn't last. Take it about an hour before you drink, according to the Sinclair Method, and it takes about 4 months but it's supposed to diminish the "pleasure" receptors that alcohol affects.

Did your drinking have something to do with your breakup? My husband has been on my case for about 2 yrs for my drinking, and when I finally admitted I had a problem and was doing something about it, our relationship drastically improved.

The other thing is, you don't need to be with a controlling partner. It will only get worse. Try not to numb your pain with alcohol (easier said than done!) and remember it's okay to cry and grieve for a while. You WILL get over him! Take care of yourself, deal with your addicition, and you'll be ready to receive the love you deserve!

Comment

Hi Me,
          Swans said it so beautifully -- if you don't care for yourself than the next person won't!!
          Stay close, we're here to support you and help you through this rocky patch -- it will get better.

Welcome Hoping. It sounds like you have a solid plan together -- stick around.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks Dee, Swans, Hoping4better.. Im on day 3 of the nal.. and its working great where i can stop myself and drink a lot less.. i only had two glasses of wine tonight, the night before, and teh day before that i didnt even drink.. i know, your supposed to drink with the sinclair method but i got very nautoues that night.. . but anyway, HOPEFELL4ME ...im curious why it works well in the beginning where you are as you put it, "alcohol voidant"? why does this not last? its great to feel that way..

Comment

Good going Me!!
              Keep posting and reading. There is a wealth of information here to help you:-)
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks Deebee, i know everyones great on here..feel a bit better about my breakup now that ive slowed down my alcohol consumption bc it obviusally makes you more depressed, and hoping4better, my alcohol had a lot to do with the breakup, but mostly it was bc he was controlling and he got mad at things that werent normal to get mad at. like if i went out with friends late, he would get fumingly mad and he just couldnt take it. im not bad, im not flirty or anything, its in his mind. so why does this not caring about alcohol when first starting the naltrexone not last? im curious...
                i am going to do sinclair yes just curious why it doesnt last. last night i pretty easily stopped after two small glasses f wine! never ever has that happened. i left some left over in the bottle! never, and the whole reason was bc it just simply didnt feel good.. why wouldnt that last with the nal?

( i understand sinclair)

Comment

Me, it's so great to hear you sounding up-beat and positive.
                  I can't comment on the Nal as I took Topa, but I'm interested to follow your progress on it.
                  Keep well!

Comment

Me, I just experienced nausea when I first started so I didn't feel as much like drinking. And there is a week or so lessening of the craving when you first start out but it doesn't last. I don't know why. You have to be on the nal 3-4 months to get the full effect. I'm not there yet so I can't offer a success story, but there are many people on the board who have been greatly helped by this medication. As far as your controlling boyfriend, yeah those jealous types are hard to deal with. Constantly defending yourself and arguing your innocence is so emotionally draining and it can ruin your confidence. And I believe these guys tend to get worse -- I don't know, I couldn't handle that kind of possessiveness so I would bolt. You are better off dealing with the pain of breaking up now rather than marrying the guy, having a couple of kids, and feeling trapped. (That would really set the stage for increased drinking!) Be good to yourself and lean on your family and friends.

Comment

hey, yeah I agree, these type of guys probably do get worse..so let me know how ya do with the naltrexone.. i post on that thread also about sinclair.

Comment

I broke up with my partner too. Our relationship was characterised by heavy drinking and all of the problems associated with that. I've been on naltrexone for a week and have had only one night of drinking (I deliberately ignored my morning pill as I was going out to dinner with a friend and knew I would drink). I don't think I would have been able to attain this level of abstinence (even with naltrexone) if I was still with my partner, as he is still consuming a litre of vodka a night (late night abusive texts and calls). I see this as the MOST IMPORTANT PERSONAL JOURNEY OF MY LIFE, and although I grieve the demise of our relationship (an understatement!), I try to see it as a time for me to concentrate fully on myself, my health, my psychology, and my recovery. It is a self-reflective time, lonely and confronting, but absolutely necessary. I am prescribed anti-depressants, which lo and behold began to work once I stopped consuming the depressant (alcohol), I also engage with my psychologist regularly to address the issues underlying my addictive behaviour. Following all advice (with the minor sneaky slip up..). Using the internet as a resource. And trying to nurture the inner child that I have abused so badly over the years.

Good luck on your journey

Love Tracey

Comment

Tracey-c

There is a thread about Naltrexone as well as a site for Naltrexone users.

Do not skip a pill if you want to drink, is my understanding. Take it ESPECIALLY if you are going to drink.

From what I have read, over time, if you keep taking it while drinking, within 3 - 4 months, your drinking will lessen more and more.

Google on The Sinclair Method and you will find that website. There are a lot of people here that use that site, too.

Good luck with your journey. I wish you the best and healing.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Dear Cinders. I'm no fan of the Sinclair method. I need 2 abstain completely, but NAL has been most effective 4 me
                            Long Road
                            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                            X