Straight Talk - Claudia Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who doesn't know what or even if we should say something to our kids about AL, drugs and addicitons. So when I spotted this book at the libuary I pounced.

Claudia Black is renowned for her work with families and addictive disorders, she's written 11 books and I believe has also produced a lot of movies and videos.

The splurb.....
    Talking with your kids about alcohol use, drug use, and addiction can be difficult for any parent. For recovering parents, convrsations with your children about drug use and abuse are even more complex, urgent and personal.

Claudia shows readers five very different families and how these parents have talked to their kids about recovery, relapse and the child's own vulnerability to using drugs and alcohol in an addictive manner.
    Topics addressed include:
    * Basic healing messages for young children
    * How to talk to children of all ages about addiction
    * How to discuss genetic and environmental influences that can contribute to becoming addicted
    * How parents can begin making amends and building sober relationships with their children
    * Age-appropriate strategies to reduce a child's risk for experimenting with drugs and alcohol
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

I didn't really have any intention of reading this book word for word as I have no intention of talking to my daughter about my addictions (yip, more than one) until she was MUCH older, if ever.

I started reading this last night again and haven't been able to put it down. It is filled with basic, simple easy to follow advice on what to tell your kids (and family).
    It has also helped me to understand WHY do I have an addictive personallity and at what risk is my daughter.
    Very interesting.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks Deebs. My kids are still so little but I have already thought about what to say when they are teens and this subject comes up so this book will go on the library list.

Comment

Working...
      X