Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on Campral..

Hello everyone :-)

Had 8 days AF under my belt and felt truly on top of things ie: Happy, confident and enjoying everything!

But have been drunk for the last two nights (2 bottles of wine each night)

I am currently on the last glass, of a bottle of wine (and feel that drinking another bottle would be good, which is a worry)

There is no more alcohol in the house, so I figure hanging out here is a much better option than a walk to the bottle shop!

I only managed 8 days AF with the help of Diazepam (Valium)

Am considering trying Campral, as it reads the best as far as side affects go..

Wondering if anyone has tried it and how they went?

Hope you are sober and happy xxx
    What you perceive is what you believe, so make sure you look at things the right way....

Just like to thank everyone for their ideas and support...Cheers
    What you perceive is what you believe, so make sure you look at things the right way....

Comment

Wavy, I am sorry you didnt get a response in here, sometimes this forum can be a little quiet.
      I have never tried Campral and I am not sure who has here.
      But know we are here for you OK? Its just sometimes posts get missed.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I like Campral very much and it does work. Gives me a headache but that is better than a headache from being hung over. Good luck with it!

Comment

Missed the post too, but don't have any experience with Campral. Sorry.
          The valium is to help with withdrawal and anxiety, don't think it helps with cravings.
          Have you tried the kudzo and l-glutamine? I have been using those when I get into trouble and yesterday was a tough day, but I made it with the supps and an AA mtg where fellow AA's assisted me and gave me support.

Hope this helps.

Winefree

Comment

I have been on Campral now for 1 week.There has been no side effects.My GP says its a very safe drug and very effective. I am on day7 AL free and dont really feel like drinking.I am getting more confident each day that this drug is helping. I will let you know in a week if it is still doing the job. johno
            Boozer

Comment

Thanks guys :-)

Comment

Hi,

I've been on Campral for about 12 days now. I've been AF for 10 of those days. I relapsed and had a few drinks a day after I started the medication. I'm not sure how long it takes to start "working" but I have noticed that I have not been thinking about drinking as much as I used to. Hard to say if this is the meds or just a placebo effect. It has had an effect on my bowels and I have been having a lot of diarrhea. I know this is one of the side effects. I have been having cravings today, but my schedule has been a little off due to the holiday and I have taken the pills late a couple times these past few days. Thankfully, I'm not in a position to obtain alcohol, otherwise I probably would - just being honest.

I would say that it is worth trying. Most of the material I've read on it says that Campral works best in conjunction with counseling or therapy of some kind. It's not a cure-all.

Comment

Working...
                X