Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detoxifying the Body

Note to the following:

If you are taking the topa and other prescription meds, you can begin to detox while still using them, but adding all of the other protocols. After you speak with your doctor, as you feel better, they can review the bloodwork, you can review your cravings, etc., and come up with the best plan possible for you to keep or eliminate whichever scrips that you are using.
    ------------

If you’ve ever taken prescription drugs or are currently taking them, it’s time to detoxify!

Prescription drugs load the body with toxins. They deplete nutrients, disrupt metabolism and have the potential to cause addiction. These side effects are often "treated" with yet more drugs, setting the stage for multiple chemical dependencies. Children as young as age three are put on this roller coaster with behaviour-modifying drugs such as Ritalin and Prozac, which is now marketed in a mint-flavoured liquid, easily administered to those too young to swallow tablets. (Sadly, they are also too young to recognize that they are being infused with a potentially dangerous psychiatric drug!)

Chemicals are unnatural to the body. The kidneys, bowels, lungs and skin support the liver in its efforts to eliminate toxins, but they too can become overwhelmed and unable to cope.

Nutritional Deficiencies The first step is to correct any nutritional imbalances which may exist as a side effect of prescription medication. Nutritional deficiencies can interfere with the body’s efforts to detoxify. Antibiotic drugs, for instance, wipe out the healthy microflora in the intestinal tract, which is essential for the proper synthesis and absorption of nutrients in the small intestine. To avoid an overgrowth of undesirable yeast organisms, such as candida albicans, which produce more toxins in the body, it’s important to take a probiotic supplement containing both lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum
    with each meal for a minimum of two weeks (ideally longer) following a course of antibiotics.

Most prescription drugs rob the body of B vitamins, especially folic acid. Calcium and potassium are depleted by antacids, anti-fungal drugs and anti-inflammatory medication (corticosteroids). The resulting nutritional imbalances can cause digestive and metabolic problems and contribute to the toxic effect which medications have on the body.

Never fear. There is a way to detoxify the body and restore nutritional balance at the same time. Nothing works quicker and better than fasting (or should we say feasting?) on the freshly pressed juices of vegetables and fruits for several days.

Liver Support

The liver is the major organ responsible for detoxifying the body from the fallout of prescription drugs. It works continuously to break down remnants of toxic substances from medications, but an overload of toxins can leave the liver overworked and exhausted, causing symptoms such as fatigue, hormone imbalances and lowered immune response.

Bitter herbs support liver function and promote the cleansing process. These include dandelion, milk thistle, red clover and artichoke. Combinations of bitters are available in health food stores.

Chlorophyll, nature’s powerful detoxifier, supports detoxification efforts. As well, it helps to activate enzymes, build blood and promote tissue regeneration. Chlorophyll is available in liquid form or in convenient tablets and capsules. Green food concentrates, such as those made from barley grass, wheat grass and blue/green algae, also supply B vitamins and other nutrients required for optimal liver function. Vitamin C, taken in amounts of 1,000 to 6,000 mg a day, has excellent detoxifying action.

Castor oil packs applied abdominally over the liver area two or three times a week help to draw toxins from the liver and promote lymphatic drainage. Prepare a bed or other flat surface where you can lie down comfortably. Fold a cotton flannel cloth into several thicknesses, then soak in castor oil. Place over the liver area and cover with plastic sheeting. Put a towel over this to prevent soiling. Put a hot water bottle or electric heating pad on top. Heat helps to drive the oil through the skin into the tissues. Leave on for an hour and relax. The oil can easily be washed off with a mixture of water and baking soda. The flannel cloth can be stored in a plastic bag and reused several times.

Vigorous exercise also promotes detoxification. Bouncing up and down on a rebounder is particularly effective for stimulating lymphatic action. It’s a safe exercise for people of all ages. Alternating hot and cold showers, baths or water gushes stimulate circulation and promote detoxification via the internal organs and the skin.

The detoxification process will take patience and persistence. But it will leave you feeling so healthy you will never need prescription drugs again!
    Toxic Side-Effects
    Death is one of many potential side effects of prescription drugs. And it’s not a rare occurrence. The results of a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in April 1998 indicate that adverse drug reactions are a major cause of death among hospitalized patients. These reactions occur despite the fact that the drugs are administered correctly!

Simone Gabbay is a registered nutritional consultant in Toronto. She is the author of Nourishing the Body Temple.

Detoxifying the Body

ack

But what about topa???
    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

If you are taking the topa and other prescription meds, you can begin to detox while still using them, but adding all of the other protocols. After you speak with your doctor, as you feel better, they can review the bloodwork, you can review your cravings, etc., and come up with the best plan possible for you to keep or eliminate whichever scrips that you are using.

I'm not on the topa right now and still have cravings which I fight with GABA, phenibut, l-glut and the rest of the lot, but I've committed to doing a huge whole body cleanse through September and I'm hoping that getting rid of cells will help get rid of some of the memories and cravings, just because I'll feel so darned pleased with myself and my success with the cleanse/abstinence...

My hopes anyway as I scrub myself clean...hehe..

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZNxdm006JHUS

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

This feels a little Tom Cruisey

CV,
        Forgive me, I respect a lot of what you put up here, but sometimes I feel like you are just copying/pasteing research from the internet wihtout thoroughly reading it and without realzing that you may be doing some people an injustice. You have suggested to everyone on this site to stop taking their prescription medication and "detoxify" without even knowing what it is they are taking or why they are taking it. I know this is in the research area of the site and not general discussion but you aren't a doctor so I would just be a little mindful. Just a suggestion, Camper.
        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

Camper, I appreciate that but I made certain to tell everyone to talk to their doctor and be analyzed before stopping or cutting out any medications they are on. Cleansing can be very helpful for everyone and I do advocate it, but I think if you reread my answer above, I pointedly told them to check with their doctor before reducing or cutting out meds.

I'm sorry if you missed that part. And, although I do post excerpts, I stick with excerpts from things that I have tried and gained help from. I've edited the font above to make it clearer that I do NOT advocate stopping meds without speaking with your doctor and having the proper work done to make sure it is safe and done correctly. I have had medical, naturopath and nutritional training, so I really do evaluate what I post as research.

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

Did I miss it too?

Hi CV,

I appreciate all your efforts, but I am having some concerns again. I am not seeing where you recommended that people talk to their doctor in the first post. Isn't this really where that advice should come, not in an answer which someone might never read? I am concerned because of this current post and earlier advice you gave to me regarding DHEA. I am sorry, but I am not sure what the qualifications are to tell pple to dump their prescription meds in such a la-dee-da fashion. Glad that you are having success, but that is really all that you CAN say - that YOU are having success getting off your prescription meds, and hey, maybe it MIGHT be a good idea for others. The above post clearly recommends this as a blanket action that would be good for pretty much everyone.

I am worried because for some people, it would be wrong to follow the advice of that post. People with diabetes SHOULD NOT FAST. Some medications are very necessary for maintaining a quality of life - or life itself. Detoxing from meds can be dangerous and the FIRST post says nothing about doing this under a doctor's care. It is the FIRST post that counts - not the 10th response to a question.

An earlier post regarding DHEA indicated that it would not grow mustaches and that you never recommended taking anything that you hadn't taken yourself. Sorry, but just because you have taken it does not mean that everyone should take it. One post contained the statement that DHEA did not do the same things as testosterone and would not show the same effects. Another post flippantly dismissed concerns about effects consistent with too much testosterone that CAN occur with DHEA supplementation. DHEA is a precursor to other hormones, testosterone being one of them. Therefore, anyone with an androgen disorder SHOULD NOT TAKE IT. Anyone who may have hormone sensitive breast cancer in their family SHOULD NOT TAKE IT. I am betting that YOU don't have an androgen disorder or breast cancer? What about those who do have those issues (not uncommon by the way). Your expert opinion was totally incorrect on that one. That is what I have been told by real doctors with an orthomolecular bent. Sorry, but I get a bit miffed when I see a person recommending things that I have been told are very dangerous for specific individuals. Backpeddling down the thread days later does not make it okay in my opinion.

The above post is written in an informational style, not as an opinion. I am not even sure who wrote it, as it was not clearly attributed to any expert. Was this a cut and paste, or is this an excerpt that was typed in? Is this a paraphrase of the writing of a another person with some info about them at the bottom? Half of "7 Weeks to Sobriety" is on this board with few or no attributions at all. Just a concern to me, since it is illegal to copy and paste material from books without permission. You could get in trouble for doing this.I know I would get in LOTS of trouble if I did something like that at work in such a wholesale fashion. We were warned at work about this just yesterday.

You have worked really hard CV, and I often find your posts of use. You really care about the folks on MWO. I have no problem at all with you and appreciate how much you contribute here. However, I am thinking that this is another post that crosses the line into giving medical advice when you are not a doctor or health care practitioner of any kind.You say you have training in medicine and naturopathy and nutriton. PLease CV, what kind of training? You are a doctor/nurse/nurse practioner, a licensed naturopath, or a licensed nutritionist? Perhaps I am wrong and you do have training to give such advice. If so, please share those qualifications with us so we know who is giving us this medical advice.

Also, when info is taken from a book, please at least give the name of the book and cite it so that others could maybe purchase that book or evaluate the qualifications of your expert. You give a name and a book title - that stuff is all from that book, or she is just the author of that book and this is from a website? Kind of unclear. Sorry, and this may sound particularly nasty - but it makes me wonder about the extent of training if the citations are not formatted correctly. People in professional programs learn how to cite material first thing or professors won't take papers. Given your training in so many fields, I find it hard to believe that you have not written papers that require research citations. You have represented yourself as a person with extensive knowledge of medicine, naturopathy, and nutrition. So, why not just tell us what that training is - you are giving out medical advice and it is often unsolicited.

Not meaning to be nasty, but these questions should really be addressed so people can evaluate the info you are giving them.

Thanks,
            Pansy

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

Pansy, thanks for your concern. I have spoken with the Seven Week to Sobriety for permission to post exceprts, as well as others which have been posted, and links exist in most of the excerpts to the original site. The above post is more of a holistic thought than a standard medical thought, where standard detoxification and cleansing would be running extreme amounts of vitamins and such intravenously.

Simone Gabbay, the author of the above post is clearly labeled below her article. As it states, this is her work and she is a registered nutritionist in Toronto.

Her is a link to her bio and also a link to more of her articles.

http://www.holistic-nutrition.com/Simone_Gabbay.htm

This is her advice and I thought it excellent to share it.

Please be aware that I am sharing thoughts and ideas here which I think are of value in my opinion. I have found most of the people on the board extremely intelligent and well-educated who would read, do further research if they are interested and take the best course of action for them.

It is my intent to share here, with regards to what works for me and others that I know, and what may work for others outside the standard thoughts of traditional medicine. I hope that you will continue to take it that way as I'm sharing my personal research, not attempting to treat anyone else.

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

I am sorry CV, but when you advocate that people DO something, you are attempting to treat. You TOLD people to take DHEA - that is treating. As a reader of that post, you told me to take DHEA and, days later, you acknowledged that DHEA could be converted to testosterone. That is dangerous and your info was woefully incomplete. When someone tells me to take a hormone to feel more energetic or stave off the nasty effects of aging, that is attempting to treat.

You still provide no info on your training and why people should feel comfortable accepting your advice regarding certain supplementation. Yet, you have represented yourself as having extensive training in medicine, naturopathy, and nutrition. I think the extent of your training is a valid area to inquire about.

Again, sorry CV, but the citation for that bit of info was not clearly labeled. Simone Gabay may well have authored the book you identified, but that does not mean that the information posted came from that book. That is an unclear citation.

I think I have a different idea of what should be included in a research thread. Anecdotal experiences do not count as research - not in a scientific sense. Valuable information, but not research. You are correct that many people on this site are advocates for their own health. I read widely and very critically, especially when someone puts text in front of me and calls it research. That is my field, research. What is being posted often is NOT research. You are posting about personal experiences, saying it worked for you, take it - that is not research.

I am glad that you did not take my earlier post as an offense. It was not meant to be so. These are questions that I think DO need to be addressed if you are advocating for certain actions to be taken by members of the community.

Thanks,
                Pansy

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

Point taken Pansy, but I'm going to quote from the description for this Research forum label, which does provide latitutude in posting from the traditional research in the medical field with statistical basis, blind studies, etc.

Research
                  MWO founders and members generously share information with each other. This forum allows a means of organizing it. PLEASE NOTE: views or recommendations expressed here are not necessarily those of the developers of the My Way Out program.

I'm taking the words "views or recommendations" literally but I will ensure that I post that this is "my experience" or what has worked best according to, etc. Perhaps it's best if I stick to alcohol related topics here and use another site for the rest.

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

CV,

I have no problem with your posting that kind of stuff, as long as it is presented as such. I have done qualitative research and find it very valuable. However, good qualitative research is harder to do than quantitative! Much of the material, other than 7 Weeks, I see taken from websites fits under neither category.

Perhaps it would be a good idea, as you stated, to include some comment that identifies the text as your opinion or experience only and that anyone interested should check with doctor and do further research. You are a valued member of community and I think some members may just take advice and follow it, simply because you are held in high esteem.

I don't usually get too involved with posting if I am upset about something, but I just felt this was one that needed a response. It seems to happen again and again where advice is given to members to take actions on something.

Thanks for understanding,
                    Pansy

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

No worries Pansy. And I appreciate the discussion and posting to clarify everything for everyone. I would hope that everyone is checking with their doctors but it is clear from some of the postings and the desire for a lack of stigma that they are not divulging the full stories to their personal caretakers.

Comment

Detoxifying the Body

HI all,
                        Yes CV very true, also true that a lot of people aren't even going to the doctor, they are ordering their meds from offshore online sources because of the stigma. You are held in pretty high esteem here and would not want your info taken at face value and have anything bad happen to anyone, that's all. Thanks guys, Camper
                        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X