Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and may I join you?

Hi everyone

I joined MWO just over a year ago, but have not posted that much. I have been trying to mod for about 9 months, with some success, but also with a couple of terrible slips, so not sure that I qualify as a long term moderator! Have had a very difficult time this last week or so, as my beloved cat that I have had for 10 years had to be put to sleep. I miss her so much already. However, although I did reach for the bottle when she first became very ill, I have managed to pull myself together and actually managed an AF day yesterday, even though that was the day she died. I have always used alcohol to numb difficult feelings and would welcome any tips on how to cope with all the many things that happen in life without the crutch of alcohol. Sorry to ramble on, but hope to hear from you.

Welcome LeoLady!
    I am so very sorry to hear about your cat. Good on you for realising that AL is not a companion nor a friend.
    There is a daily thread here, called the Mod Squad, which is a bunch of us who's aim is to live life moderately -- please join us:-)
    I would also suggest you read through some of the thread here -- there is a lot of advice and information about sucessfull modding (and some not sucessfull modding). I think we all agree that it is not necessarily the easy route.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

:welcome: on board leolady:welcome:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Leolady,
        You are welcome to post here, but have you put in some significant AF time? If not, I think you should consider that. Once you learn to live your life without alcohol, you could be more successful with moderate drinking. You need to break those old habits.

We put our 14-year-old dog to sleep about a month ago. We miss her.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I am so sorry about your kitty. I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved pet.
          I am very glad to have you with us. I look forward to getting to know you.
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Thank you all so much for your replies and kind words. I will certainly check out the threads mentioned. Sunbeam, no I have not had a significant AF time and think you may well be right that I need to do that.

Comment

:welcome:

Welcome Leolady!
              Someone posted that alcohol robs them of their time. How true is that!

Please read and post here but as the others suggested trying to go AF (Alcohol Free) for a 30 day period is a good idea. It clears your system of alcohol, you'll find you sleep so much better and it frees up your time to evaluate what really is important in your life. You may even find you develop a passion to keep you busy when you don't have that glass in your hand.

You'll get good ideas reading through the thousands of posts here. Advice given above was great - the toolbox thread is a must.

Welcome and we look forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome hugs,
              Eve11
              p.s. I am so sorry about your loss. Our pets are family to us and it's extremely difficult. Remember though, alcohol is a depressant and drinking because one is depressed is probably never a good idea. Peace to you regarding your beloved pet.
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
              X