Baclofen- My Progress- Marbella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am editing/deleting some posts, I am so sorry but I feel my activity here is being monitored, and I am not comfortable with it.

Aww Thanks Oners, I think doing progress threads is a good thing- it also makes you feel a bit more accountable knowing you have to report in.

Some of us did them at the Sinclair board and I am sure they convinced lots of newbies to give it a go...maybe RJ could make a separate section of the board for progress threads then people would be able to look up progress on different meds and supps at a glance.

Comment

Marby,

Your drinking and mine is very similar.

I did not have any of the reasons you did, I just drank and over time, especially after my gastric bypass, it went through the roof.

I can't wait for the two of us to be AF. You are a sister.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wow. Please don't apologise for that post being long- I was hanging on every word. I have a very similar story of working in bars from the age of 16- drinking every night. Raised by an alcoholic, the whole deal. I had another pattern too of saving up a few thousand dollars then going to some random (and cheap) third world country and drinking myself into a stupor for months- even years. Everyone at home was so jealous that I got to "see the world". Sometimes I didn't leave the bed for ten days or so at a stretch just coming to, grabbing the bottle and getting unconcious again.

I just started Naltrexone and am following the Sinclaire Method. Today is my sixth day and I am averaging half of what I used to drink. I hear it goes back up in the coming weeks, but I am going to resist that if I possibly can. I feel so much better drinking half a liter of vodka than I did on the liter a night that has become normal for me. Even with the amount I am still drinking, I am having dreams at night almost as if I was abstinant and I feel better during the day- I had a ton of energy yesterday and got a lot done.

You say you got Baclofen OTC? I wonder if I can do that in the US. I doubt it, but I could give it a try. What do you think I should say it's for?

Comment

Hi Pete

I was going to say it was for my mums twitchy legs if they had asked...I was walking to the pharmacy trying to think of the word for 'twitchy legs' in Spanish- not something you have to use very often when your mum lives 1500 km away and doesn't have twitchy legs...

I guess that you won't be able to get it OTC there, as others would probably have mentioned it- but hey there is no harm in asking...I also went to a chemist where they know me as a regular customer, don't know if that made any difference, I am going to try an unknown chemist tomorrow- I guess I will have to rotate pharmacies like I used to rotate my beer stores- well at least I have had practice at that.

Good luck with the Sinclair- sounds like it is working just fine for you so far- your drinking probably will go back up again, mine did- but not to the levels it was at pre- Sinclair. although I know some folks do, then they level off again.

I have been interested in the Nal/bac combo since OceanOceano posted on her success wiuth it a while ago- I decided then it was something i would try if Sinclair did not work for me.

I am going to give this a very good shot- I prefer the idea of Bac because of the lack of side effects.

Please keep us posted on your progress!!

Comment

Marb - Loved the post and the story. Not sure I had read all of that before.

Thanks for taking the time to be here - I mean that. You are one of my heros with staying the road on all of this!

WTE

Comment

WaitingToExhale;625345 wrote: Marb - Loved the post and the story. Not sure I had read all of that before.

Thanks for taking the time to be here - I mean that. You are one of my heros with staying the road on all of this!

WTE
              Hi Waiting :l

You probably have heard parts of it- but there is little point in dwelling on what we have done I guess- I just want newbies to know I was in the last stages- not somebody who might have had a bit of a problem- and if something can work for me, it can work for anybody.

I hope people don't feel I am against The Sinclair Method because I have started Baclofen- I am most definitely not- I think Sinclair so far has saved my life, but if Baclofen can take it a step further I have to try. I am happy to test on myself because I know my life would have been very short if I had not found the info on The Sinclair Method on this board....it was only a post asking if anyone had read the book, but that post probably honestly did save my life.

If I can give anything back, and point just one more person in a similar direction, I am happy.

Comment

Thanks Marbella for your post. It will help many and me.:thanks:
                Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Well, it doesn't matter if I can't get it OTC, I can get it from River. I'll try the Sinclair method without it and if I hit a plateau maybe give it a chance.

I'll be going cold turkey (or something close to it) from July 3rd to the 10th for a big family reunion. One way or another I have to be detoxed and able to get some sleep by then. Until now, I have never used any pharmaceuticals or sleeping pills or anything- why would I with all that alcohol? My friend is paralysed and has a lot of back pain and all sorts of problems. I might ask him for a few valium to get me through that. I've never tried it- maybe I should before embarrassing myself in front of everyone.

Thanks for this thread. The people who weren't as "far gone" certainly are struggling, but it is encouraging to hear that us tough cases stand a chance too. And if we can do it- anyone can.

Comment

Great start to what I am very confident will be ag reat success story in the making. I am proud and happy my contributions and my experience has helped you so thank you.
                    It feels good to help other people whom were where I was a few months ago.
                    And thank you for having the courage to be the first one to start their baclofen use thread. I hope others follow suit so we can have real life stories that others considering baclofen can read.

Good job! I am proud of you for taking the leap

Comment

great post marbella,as you know i lived on the iberian peninsula for nearly 12 years,so i can relate to nearly everything you said.keep up the good work and i really wish you well :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thank you for all your above comments- it spurs me onto know people are reading...

Yesterday, my second day, was a bit strange...I was looking forward to taking the baclofen because of the nice mellow feeling I had experienced the day before, but because of the long post I made I ended up rushing, and forgot to take it till midday, when my plan was to begin at 10am. I took about 6mg, as I didn't break it very evenly.

I was surprised about 20 minutes after taking it that I felt quite irritable- I reacted angrily to a couple of things that wouldn't normally bother me. I didn't get the mellow feeling but the irritableness did thankfully wear of after an hour or so.

I took another 6mg (approx) at about 5pm- again too late- my second dose should have been at 3pm, I was in quite a good mood then, didn't feel mellow, but not irritable either (which is a very ggod thing as I work in my shop from 3pm to 10pm and the customers are enough to get me cranky without anything else...) I had to close a bit early last night as someone had told me they had seen a kitten locked in a tiny box in a garden, I do animal rescue and these things are a huge trigger for me.

I then realised I had not taken my third dose- I had completely forgotten as I had not had one single craving!!

I took 10mg and took 2 beers to take home.

By the time I got home, I felt like a drink- the kitten was not there but I am still a bit worried- I will go back today- I drank my two beers, I was not gagging for the second, but of course drank it anyway just because it was there- however after the second I felt the same as I had the previous night- I wished I had taken more with me, as I definitely fancied another...if I had had access to more I would have drank it- no doubt about that.

Well I didn't have access so that was that- but I do see that is where the Naltrexone was helping me- it made the beer taste kind of tinny and flat- there wasn't really a buzz as such, so two was plenty.

Today I am going to stick to my dosing schedule...I have decided to change it slightly- 5mg now at 10am, 5 mg at 2pm, 10mg at 6pm and 5mg at 10pm- I have a feeling this is going to work very well for me.

I think if it had not been a case of the going to see about the kitten I would not have bothered to take the beers- but I knew if I had had to go in there to get it, I would have been completely wound up, and to not have a drink at times like that is a habit I haven't yet broken.

Comment

Marbella, just have to say your post really affected me.

As usual, this forum is so vibrant and just endlessly informative. I am back again after a year or so away, and coming to the conclusion that I'm really doing damage at this point ... and will die if I don't stop drinking. I don't think I've ever acknowledged that before, but your story really brought that home to me.

I'm going to search around now, and read more posts, about this method you mention. My ears pricked up to read the word - Baclofen - on the screen. I couldn't believe it. I've just come back from caring for my mum in the UK, who's in the advanced stages of MS - and Baclofen was one of the pills I'd put out for her to take each evening - for exactly what you referred to : twitchy legs - in her case, muscle spasms from the MS.

Inspiring post, a real wake-up call, which is what I love about this place.
                          KAYLA

Current attitude towards addiction: Why ask why? Just accept that it is, and go from there ...

Comment

Pete1;625384 wrote: Well, it doesn't matter if I can't get it OTC, I can get it from River. I'll try the Sinclair method without it and if I hit a plateau maybe give it a chance.

I'll be going cold turkey (or something close to it) from July 3rd to the 10th for a big family reunion. One way or another I have to be detoxed and able to get some sleep by then. Until now, I have never used any pharmaceuticals or sleeping pills or anything- why would I with all that alcohol? My friend is paralysed and has a lot of back pain and all sorts of problems. I might ask him for a few valium to get me through that. I've never tried it- maybe I should before embarrassing myself in front of everyone.

Thanks for this thread. The people who weren't as "far gone" certainly are struggling, but it is encouraging to hear that us tough cases stand a chance too. And if we can do it- anyone can.
                            I can imagine the Baclofen would do you very well for withdrawals Pete, but also cutting down as you are, by using Nal, should kind of bring a slow detox about... if you are still drinking but not very much your body should be slowly detoxing and by the 3rd (if you don't drink, or drink very little) I would think that you have got over the worse, (and shouldn't have severe withdrawals, if indeed any) as you have been on the nal, and reducing your drinks for a week or so?

PS. I just saw your reunion is July and not June, that is plenty of time for either the baclofen or the nal to stop you getting ANY withdrawals, I am sure.

Comment

Kayla;625466 wrote: Marbella, just have to say your post really affected me.

As usual, this forum is so vibrant and just endlessly informative. I am back again after a year or so away, and coming to the conclusion that I'm really doing damage at this point ... and will die if I don't stop drinking. I don't think I've ever acknowledged that before, but your story really brought that home to me.

I'm going to search around now, and read more posts, about this method you mention. My ears pricked up to read the word - Baclofen - on the screen. I couldn't believe it. I've just come back from caring for my mum in the UK, who's in the advanced stages of MS - and Baclofen was one of the pills I'd put out for her to take each evening - for exactly what you referred to : twitchy legs - in her case, muscle spasms from the MS.

Inspiring post, a real wake-up call, which is what I love about this place.

Good luck Kayla- there is another member from Australia who has been taking Baclofen, (Greg) I don't know if he still is, because he is a big chap and couldn't get a big enough dosage prescribed.

Please
                              give it a go and keep us posted- some of us just can't do it alone, and we HAVE to do it with meds....it really is that, or die.

I am also sorry to hear about your mum- things like this are huge triggers for us drinkers aren't they- but with the help of the Baclofen I am sure you can get through whatever the future holds.

Comment

Working...
                              X