Mod Squad Weekly Thread 8th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wear Blue and tell two that today is World Ocean's Day.

This morning I took the 7 C's pledge to protect our ocean -- you can too The Ocean Project

I have just caught up with last weeks news and I noticed that many of us who have been too busy to post have also not been meeting their mod goals -- me too. I am back into my old way of being totally AF during the week and then letting my hair down one night of the weekend. I could tell you 10 different reasons WHY I drank on Friday, anything from it was my BF's birthday to I'd had a crap week but the real reason is I was not mindful.
    So today brings a new day and a new week. Pulling myself up by the bra-straps and doing what needs to be done.

Keep, it's so good to hear from you -- tell us your news.
    Yes, Kid was banned a little while ago but I do have his e-mail address and have been meaning to pop him a mail to find our how he is. Zed left a little while ago to begin a new life with his lovely lady. I like to think that he still lurks and knows we are thinking of him.

Sun, I hope your sister has a speedy recovery -- what a wonderful sister you are. What is a 'garden group'? How does it work?
    I have finished planting out my veg seedlings only for us to have an early cold snap this weekend so I'm dashing around trying to protect them with newspaper. This is the first year I am attempting to grow anything during winter. Even though our winters are fairly mild and we shouldn't (touch wood) get any frost I think there is still quite a bit of skill in it.

Ask, I am so sorry to hear about the saddness you've had to deal with last week -- I'm thinking of you.

Vladster, I am waiting with bated breath to hear what your exciting news is.

Moo, it is all a learning curve isin't it. BTW we need you just as much:l

Lila, I hope you had a wonderful and happy weekend:l

Judie, what on earth does a new "old job" mean ?? :H

Eve, I had to fetch the daughter at 10pm on Sat night from a disco and I tell you if I had one glass of wine I would not have been able to stay awake that late -- it's terrible how early I go to bed and just how much I LOVE my sleep.

Ronnie, when ever you are ready just jump right in and let us know how you are doing, okay.

Hi MM, hope everyone is "doing what they are supposed to" this week :H

Right, now I really am behind on my work so let me dash and I'll catch up with you all later.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Hey all!
    Deebs, yes, Modder's goals. I have been giving in to worry, and I had 2 beers last night. Not really bad, but I thought it was at least good that I thought it was too much. If that makes sense. Still, I have this idea that it is a new week, and I am going to start fresh, tackle my worries head on, and take vitamins!
    Ocean day? Is this about reducing our footprint? Well, it is finally raining where I am, and I am thinking of getting a rainbarrel. Trouble is, it takes maybe a little bit of know-how. It IS my goal. I am getting all psyched about being energy efficient and all. Next, I would like to compost. I am feeling guilty throwing away organic waste. Last week, I called the city and requested a smaller garbage can, and it is very small. That will be a challenge. But I am up for it. And I am finally going to try some of those compact flourescent lightbulbs, too. How 'bout that??
    We don't live by an ocean, but I am going to click on that link.
    Have a great Monday all -
    Lila

Comment

Good on you Lila!!
      I want to get a worm farm to feed my left over veg and stuff to -- I believe worm wee is the bomb to feed your garden with.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Deebs and Lila!

I have a big black compost bin in my back garden, I put everything compostable in there... and I have worms, slugs, an ants nest, earwigs - you name it - it's probably in there. You never know, possibly even a snake...

Anyway, I just lift up the flap at the bottom and get my compost out every so often.

Oh, and I had no news. Nevermind.
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Oh Vladster, you sound a bit bummed -- wanna share?

Great idea with the black bin -- I'll give it a try.

Comment

DeeBee,
            A "New "Old Job",is being hired back on, @ a cafe where I've worked ... before, about 3 or 4 times in the past!:H
            They called me and hired me back (YET) again! I was fired from there 2 or 3 times for showing up drunk, yrs ago. Thank God for 2nd(3rd, & 4th chances!)
            This last time about 2 yrs ago I quit because of personal reasons... But now I've just started back there again!
            It's actualy going really well. They do a lot of business especially in the summer, so I'll make good $$. There are some wonderful people working there as well, it's nice to be back there.
            Thanks for asking about it...:l I was starting to feel invisible here.

Hope everybody has a great Monday.
            Huge Hugs,
            Judie
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Jude, how could the lady in the canoe ever be invisible!

Great news about the job - best of luck.

Yay all other modsters, back at it again on this miserable Monday.... Wouldn't it just be great if everyone did do what they were supposed to???? Here's hoping.

Bx

Comment

DeeBee;630399 wrote:
                Great idea with the black bin -- I'll give it a try.
                The bin needs to have no bottom and needs to be placed on soil.
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi all,
                  We're on vacation sitting on the beach. The place we eat most nights is $3 for dinner (can you believe that?!) but the catch is a great happy hour drink so I find (still) that I drink most days I'm on vacation. So, it always looks bad on the drinktracker (for sure). I need to keep doing my research on drinking because the more I research it and get it into my head that it's hard on the immune system, etc. maybe one day I'll "get it" that drinking every day on vacation is a stupid idea.

Anyway, glad we can come here and post, vent, be honest, etc. Probably easier to not post when not modding well but I want to try to keep it real for myself. So, not doing the best modding lately with vacation being the excuse but not getting drunk like in the past so that's a good thing.

Hugs to all. Hello to oldies posting again and Ronnie keep coming back. It's hard for me to get computer time on vacation but I'll keep trying to get online even if it's just lurking.
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi everyone,
                    Judie, thanks for every time you post. I'm one of the worst at acknowledging everyone's important lives. But your presence contributes a lot here, a statement to the notion that moderation can work long term.

Deebs and Lila, composting is easy. Just pile it up, and stir it once in awhile. Most of what is writtten about composting makes it too difficult. I don't put anything vegetative in my garbage. I save it in a plastic grocery bag, hidden in a nice colander on the kitchen counter, take it out to the pile every few days. I use a wire bin with four sides. Every few weeks, I take off a side, pull the stuff out with a cultivator, then pile it back up.

I also have a worm bin where I put some vegetative scraps, lettuce ends, wilted leaves. There is a good two-minute video at finegardening.com. Lila, your kids would love feeding the worms. Mine is a Rubbermaid tub with a bottom so I can bring it indoors in the winter if I want to. Red wrigglers are the best compost worms, but they can't survive freezing temperatures. Other worms also do a fine job outdoors.

Here on the ranch, we are in the rodent business. We have caught five mice in our kitchen in the past few days. I think the siding project has created some temporary entrances that soon will be sealed up.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Judie, invisible?? Come on!! Your personality is way to big to be invisible.
                      How crazy is it that you got your old job back. I thought for a sec that you meant you went back to the last job that you just left (the one with the b*tch of a manager). Its wonderful to be able to work with people you enjoy. At my last job I made some really good friends and luckily with my travelling I still get to see everyone every couple of months.

Eve, I too found that on holiday I was drinking every day - even if it was only one drink I was still not happy with myself. Why do we think that we need a drink to relax?!

Vladster, damn, that means I have to go and buy a bin and then cut the bottom out!

Sun, you are right, all the books just make too big a deal out of composting...I'm going to keep it simple.
                      How is the house coming along? Are you finished with the renovations?

OOOHHH I just rememberd something I wanted to share with you.
                      I bought a herb called "Salvia" for my BF's birthday yesterday. I had never heard of it before and bought it mostly because of it's pretty mauve flowers. Anyway, when I got home I googled it as I wanted to know a bit more about it and find a recipe to pop into the packet for my friend. OMG Salvia is banned in Oz and half the States because it is -- get this -- A MIND ALTERING DRUG!!
                      Here's a link to the one website I was reading http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html
                      Crazy stuff I tell you.

Hi MM, from a wet and miserable SA!! (I am literally sitting ON the heater as I type this LOL)

Well I have a marketing deadline which just has to be done today so I've promised myself that I'd just quickly pop in to say hi to you and then get on with it.

Catch ya all later.

Comment

DeeBee,
                        Interesting site! Never heard of Salvia. Don't think I'll try it though... I've experimented enough, in my younger days!

Nope, didn't go back to that hell job. Even though I was asked to by one of the bartenders (if I would just work shifts with him)
                        He didn't like my replacement... The owner even asked if I was considering coming back, when I picked up my last paycheck. LOL

Funny thing, her & the chef were both in the Cafe having lunch yesterday (@ diff tables) Don't think they even spoke to each other... Not a friendly type crew...Don't miss it a bit!
                        I said Hi to both of them, the chef was unfreindly as usual.
                        She was a bit nicer, and said I looked good. I think she knows she lost a good server.

Had a wonderful paddle yesterday after work with Bungee dog!
                        There wasn't a breath of wind. The water was like glass. Stayed out till sunset it was beautiful. Saw a mama Merganzer with about 21 ducklings swimming along, too cute! Got really close to a great Blue Heron & a couple of Osprey. Came pretty close to a big Beaver that kept swatting the water @ us! I think Bungee was a bit scared. He was huge!:H

Hope everybody's having a great day.
                        Huge hugs,
                        Judie:l
                        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

I have heard of salvia. I think we get too excited to ban everything as a society...have you tried it yet?

Comment

Hey lovely modders...

Just catching up on all your news.

Judy - I must say you sound as though you had a lovely time out paddling with the dog. Its sounds wonderfully relaxing (wherever you are). Great stuff.

Hey Evie...you dont look as though you are doing too badly on drinktracker, it seems that the holiday times are always a trigger for us modders. I know I am learning that one, slowly but surely.

All the talk of composting has made me remember I have to plant my tomatoes tomorrow or they will walk out of the greenhouse on their own!

Deebs...what is this mind altering drug you talk of!!!! Is it available in the Uk? I will look at the link when I have a chance.

Hello to anyone I have missed.....thinking of you all as always...

Just got back from a lovely dinner at my mates house, she cooked really nice veggie thing (for me, as I am the annoying veggie!!!). She had wine and I did not! YAY and better still I didnt even "see" it. Things are sooo beginning to alter.

Bye for now

love Moo
                            "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                            but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Hi all,
                              From your neighborhood gardening guru: salvia is a very nice plant, the variety "May Night" is very popular among gardeners, a lovely purple/blue. Salvia is also the same plant family that includes sage, the herb we often use in stuffing and poultry dishes. I only glanced at the web site DeeBee linked us to, but it is a familiar plant family to most of us. Deebs, are they smoking it or what???
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                              X