PDA

View Full Version : Mod Squad Weekly Thread 8th June

DeeBee
June 8th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Wear Blue and tell two that today is World Ocean's Day.

This morning I took the 7 C's pledge to protect our ocean -- you can too The Ocean Project (http://www.theoceanproject.org/action/commit.php)

I have just caught up with last weeks news and I noticed that many of us who have been too busy to post have also not been meeting their mod goals -- me too. I am back into my old way of being totally AF during the week and then letting my hair down one night of the weekend. I could tell you 10 different reasons WHY I drank on Friday, anything from it was my BF's birthday to I'd had a crap week but the real reason is I was not mindful.
So today brings a new day and a new week. Pulling myself up by the bra-straps and doing what needs to be done.

Keep, it's so good to hear from you -- tell us your news.
Yes, Kid was banned a little while ago but I do have his e-mail address and have been meaning to pop him a mail to find our how he is. Zed left a little while ago to begin a new life with his lovely lady. I like to think that he still lurks and knows we are thinking of him.

Sun, I hope your sister has a speedy recovery -- what a wonderful sister you are. What is a 'garden group'? How does it work?
I have finished planting out my veg seedlings only for us to have an early cold snap this weekend so I'm dashing around trying to protect them with newspaper. This is the first year I am attempting to grow anything during winter. Even though our winters are fairly mild and we shouldn't (touch wood) get any frost I think there is still quite a bit of skill in it.

Ask, I am so sorry to hear about the saddness you've had to deal with last week -- I'm thinking of you.

Vladster, I am waiting with bated breath to hear what your exciting news is.

Moo, it is all a learning curve isin't it. BTW we need you just as much:l

Lila, I hope you had a wonderful and happy weekend:l

Judie, what on earth does a new "old job" mean ?? :H

Eve, I had to fetch the daughter at 10pm on Sat night from a disco and I tell you if I had one glass of wine I would not have been able to stay awake that late -- it's terrible how early I go to bed and just how much I LOVE my sleep.

Ronnie, when ever you are ready just jump right in and let us know how you are doing, okay.

Hi MM, hope everyone is "doing what they are supposed to" this week :H

Right, now I really am behind on my work so let me dash and I'll catch up with you all later.

Lila
June 8th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hey all!
Deebs, yes, Modder's goals. I have been giving in to worry, and I had 2 beers last night. Not really bad, but I thought it was at least good that I thought it was too much. If that makes sense. Still, I have this idea that it is a new week, and I am going to start fresh, tackle my worries head on, and take vitamins!
Ocean day? Is this about reducing our footprint? Well, it is finally raining where I am, and I am thinking of getting a rainbarrel. Trouble is, it takes maybe a little bit of know-how. It IS my goal. I am getting all psyched about being energy efficient and all. Next, I would like to compost. I am feeling guilty throwing away organic waste. Last week, I called the city and requested a smaller garbage can, and it is very small. That will be a challenge. But I am up for it. And I am finally going to try some of those compact flourescent lightbulbs, too. How 'bout that??
We don't live by an ocean, but I am going to click on that link.
Have a great Monday all -
Lila

DeeBee
June 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Good on you Lila!!
I want to get a worm farm to feed my left over veg and stuff to -- I believe worm wee is the bomb to feed your garden with.

vlad
June 8th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hi Deebs and Lila!

I have a big black compost bin in my back garden, I put everything compostable in there... and I have worms, slugs, an ants nest, earwigs - you name it - it's probably in there. You never know, possibly even a snake...

Anyway, I just lift up the flap at the bottom and get my compost out every so often.

Oh, and I had no news. Nevermind.

DeeBee
June 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Oh Vladster, you sound a bit bummed -- wanna share?

Great idea with the black bin -- I'll give it a try.

Saint Jude
June 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
;) DeeBee,
A "New "Old Job",is being hired back on, @ a cafe where I've worked ... before, about 3 or 4 times in the past!:H
They called me and hired me back (YET) again! I was fired from there 2 or 3 times for showing up drunk, yrs ago. Thank God for 2nd(3rd, & 4th chances!)
This last time about 2 yrs ago I quit because of personal reasons... But now I've just started back there again!:cool:
It's actualy going really well. They do a lot of business especially in the summer, so I'll make good $$. There are some wonderful people working there as well, it's nice to be back there.
Thanks for asking about it...:l I was starting to feel invisible here.

Hope everybody has a great Monday.
Huge Hugs,
Judie

Mad Mummy
June 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Jude, how could the lady in the canoe ever be invisible!

Great news about the job - best of luck.

Yay all other modsters, back at it again on this miserable Monday.... Wouldn't it just be great if everyone did do what they were supposed to???? Here's hoping.

Bx

vlad
June 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
DeeBee;630399 wrote:
Great idea with the black bin -- I'll give it a try.
The bin needs to have no bottom and needs to be placed on soil.

Eve11
June 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hi all,
We're on vacation sitting on the beach. The place we eat most nights is $3 for dinner (can you believe that?!) but the catch is a great happy hour drink so I find (still) that I drink most days I'm on vacation. So, it always looks bad on the drinktracker (for sure). I need to keep doing my research on drinking because the more I research it and get it into my head that it's hard on the immune system, etc. maybe one day I'll "get it" that drinking every day on vacation is a stupid idea.

Anyway, glad we can come here and post, vent, be honest, etc. Probably easier to not post when not modding well but I want to try to keep it real for myself. So, not doing the best modding lately with vacation being the excuse but not getting drunk like in the past so that's a good thing.

Hugs to all. Hello to oldies posting again and Ronnie keep coming back. It's hard for me to get computer time on vacation but I'll keep trying to get online even if it's just lurking.
Eve11

Sunbeam
June 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone,
Judie, thanks for every time you post. I'm one of the worst at acknowledging everyone's important lives. But your presence contributes a lot here, a statement to the notion that moderation can work long term.

Deebs and Lila, composting is easy. Just pile it up, and stir it once in awhile. Most of what is writtten about composting makes it too difficult. I don't put anything vegetative in my garbage. I save it in a plastic grocery bag, hidden in a nice colander on the kitchen counter, take it out to the pile every few days. I use a wire bin with four sides. Every few weeks, I take off a side, pull the stuff out with a cultivator, then pile it back up.

I also have a worm bin where I put some vegetative scraps, lettuce ends, wilted leaves. There is a good two-minute video at finegardening.com. Lila, your kids would love feeding the worms. Mine is a Rubbermaid tub with a bottom so I can bring it indoors in the winter if I want to. Red wrigglers are the best compost worms, but they can't survive freezing temperatures. Other worms also do a fine job outdoors.

Here on the ranch, we are in the rodent business. We have caught five mice in our kitchen in the past few days. I think the siding project has created some temporary entrances that soon will be sealed up.

DeeBee
June 9th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Judie, invisible?? Come on!! Your personality is way to big to be invisible.
How crazy is it that you got your old job back. I thought for a sec that you meant you went back to the last job that you just left (the one with the b*tch of a manager). Its wonderful to be able to work with people you enjoy. At my last job I made some really good friends and luckily with my travelling I still get to see everyone every couple of months.

Eve, I too found that on holiday I was drinking every day - even if it was only one drink I was still not happy with myself. Why do we think that we need a drink to relax?!

Vladster, damn, that means I have to go and buy a bin and then cut the bottom out!

Sun, you are right, all the books just make too big a deal out of composting...I'm going to keep it simple.
How is the house coming along? Are you finished with the renovations?

OOOHHH I just rememberd something I wanted to share with you.
I bought a herb called "Salvia" for my BF's birthday yesterday. I had never heard of it before and bought it mostly because of it's pretty mauve flowers. Anyway, when I got home I googled it as I wanted to know a bit more about it and find a recipe to pop into the packet for my friend. OMG Salvia is banned in Oz and half the States because it is -- get this -- A MIND ALTERING DRUG!!
Here's a link to the one website I was reading http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html
Crazy stuff I tell you.

Hi MM, from a wet and miserable SA!! (I am literally sitting ON the heater as I type this LOL)

Well I have a marketing deadline which just has to be done today so I've promised myself that I'd just quickly pop in to say hi to you and then get on with it.

Catch ya all later.

Saint Jude
June 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
DeeBee,
Interesting site! Never heard of Salvia. Don't think I'll try it though... I've experimented enough, in my younger days!:cool:

Nope, didn't go back to that hell job. Even though I was asked to by one of the bartenders (if I would just work shifts with him)
He didn't like my replacement... The owner even asked if I was considering coming back, when I picked up my last paycheck. LOL

Funny thing, her & the chef were both in the Cafe having lunch yesterday (@ diff tables) Don't think they even spoke to each other... Not a friendly type crew...Don't miss it a bit!
I said Hi to both of them, the chef was unfreindly as usual.
She was a bit nicer, and said I looked good. I think she knows she lost a good server.

Had a wonderful paddle yesterday after work with Bungee dog!
There wasn't a breath of wind. The water was like glass. Stayed out till sunset it was beautiful. Saw a mama Merganzer with about 21 ducklings swimming along, too cute! Got really close to a great Blue Heron & a couple of Osprey. Came pretty close to a big Beaver that kept swatting the water @ us! I think Bungee was a bit scared. He was huge!:H

Hope everybody's having a great day.
Huge hugs,
Judie:l

Lila
June 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I have heard of salvia. I think we get too excited to ban everything as a society...have you tried it yet?

mooderator
June 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hey lovely modders...

Just catching up on all your news.

Judy - I must say you sound as though you had a lovely time out paddling with the dog. Its sounds wonderfully relaxing (wherever you are). Great stuff.

Hey Evie...you dont look as though you are doing too badly on drinktracker, it seems that the holiday times are always a trigger for us modders. I know I am learning that one, slowly but surely.

All the talk of composting has made me remember I have to plant my tomatoes tomorrow or they will walk out of the greenhouse on their own!

Deebs...what is this mind altering drug you talk of!!!! Is it available in the Uk? I will look at the link when I have a chance.

Hello to anyone I have missed.....thinking of you all as always...

Just got back from a lovely dinner at my mates house, she cooked really nice veggie thing (for me, as I am the annoying veggie!!!). She had wine and I did not! YAY and better still I didnt even "see" it. Things are sooo beginning to alter.

Bye for now

love Moo

Sunbeam
June 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi all,
From your neighborhood gardening guru: salvia is a very nice plant, the variety "May Night" is very popular among gardeners, a lovely purple/blue. Salvia is also the same plant family that includes sage, the herb we often use in stuffing and poultry dishes. I only glanced at the web site DeeBee linked us to, but it is a familiar plant family to most of us. Deebs, are they smoking it or what???

Lila
June 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hey everyone - happy Wednesday!!!
How is everyone?

DeeBee
June 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
ROFL at all the comments about Salvia!!!

I haven't tried it as yet -- probably should stay away from it, you know, because of my addictive personality and all! But I'm sure my BF will take a crack at it. One of the websites spoke about using it to heighten your spiritual awareness and this has got my BF investigating further -- I'll keep you updates.

I am feeling a big pooped today, my social life seems to have taken off all of a sudden LOL. I have been out almost everynight this last week and tonight is book club and tomorrow night a dinner with a friend of my brother's who is out from the UK.
My brother is still not speaking or communicating with me -- its been over a year now which is very sad because I know he's in a bad place. I really tore myself up about it last year but I've learnt that there's nothing I can do for him other than just BE there for him if he needs. My MIL is leaving for Scottland at the end of the month and I'm hoping my brother will make contact with her.

A quick HI to everyone.
Hope you are all living the Mod Life:-)

Lila
June 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I think I really am. I had some stress and I had a few bad nights, but I think I am just gradually adjusting to being where I want to be.
Deebee, I think you are right about your brother. Still, it can be so hard to get back to normal after such a long estrangement. I hope he knows you are there for him for when he comes around.
Lila

DeeBee
June 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks Lila.
I've sent him quite a few e-mails but never had a reply. He's been living in the UK for nearly 8 years now and my parent's haven't seen him in all that time.
Unfortunately he and my baby sister had a huge fall-out last year when she was staying with him and had to put up with his druggie lifestyle.
He moved to Scottland -- in the middle of nowhere -- so that he can turn his life around (sigh) but all he's done is milk the parents for all they are worth. My father has spent most of his pension on the sod!!

That's enough bitching from me! Thanks for letting me vent.

mooderator
June 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Lila and Deebs

Wow, Deebs, do keep us informed about Salvia!!! Sounds interesting.
I am sorry to hear about your situation with your brother. Its really hard to accept we are not responsible for other people (even our family members) past loving them and as you say being there for them, what else can you do. He will come to you if and when he is ready. His loss I bet you are a super sis. I am an only so I' just jealous!!!!

Lila sorry you were having a bit of a hard time by the sounds of it. Not sure exactly what you mean, but glad you are feeling more positive.

Happy thoughts to all modders...

Love mOo

Eve11
June 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
mooderator;631670 wrote:

Hey Evie...you dont look as though you are doing too badly on drinktracker, it seems that the holiday times are always a trigger for us modders. I know I am learning that one, slowly but surely.

Hey Moo,
Wish I could agree but I am going way over my mod goals this particular vacation. Usually I drink only twice and sometimes three times per week with just 1-2 or 3 at the most.

The problem with this particular vacation place is we eat at a place almost every night where food is fabulous for $3.00 and the drinks are great and it's just too tempting to have the drink with the meal and it's also expected for the cheap price. We only stay at this place 1 week per year so other vacations entail a lot more eating in the room where I choose not to have that drink with dinner or buy a bottle for the room. Then there are added temptations of getting together with a friend tonight, my birthday tomorrow, another friend coming in Friday, etc.

I am thinking when I'm home I may do 30 AF just to detox, lower my tolerance (if it builds up because of daily drinking) and just take some AF time to re-establish my priorities.
Rented an old 40's movie that was an award winner called "The Lost Week-end". It's interesting because the main character is a writer who has a lot of creative thoughts and he finds that the first couple of drinks really get the creative juices going, but he can't quit once he starts drinking so the book keeps never getting written and he ends up in one big binge after another. I encourage everyone to watch it if able. I actually got it from a library here but US folks can get if from Netflix I'm sure.

Anyway, son wants the computer so will cut it short. Hugs to all of you and will post more when back home.
Eve11;)

periwinkle
June 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Mod Squad!

I know!!!! I just looked at the date of my last post... 1/16/09! I was so slammed with work at that time that it just wasn't a good thing for me to get on this forum as I always spent more time than I should.

Well, then some other things went on and now it has been 5 months. I need to be back here though if you will have me.

Periwinkle :)

Sunbeam
June 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hey, Periwinkle!
Great to see you back. I think of you every time I drink Celestials Seasonings tea (often). We would all be delighted to have you back.

Eve, I know the feeling: we all NEED to set our own standards. My drink habits might look fine to someone else, but if I'm not comfortable with it, something needs to change.

Lila, I am glad you are getting back to where you want to be.

Moo, we never stop learning, about ourselves, the inter-relationship with alcohol. I will soon have three weeks off work, then just working part-time for the summer. The beast will be there calling me. Right now I rarely think about possibly having a drink unless it's Saturday, but with all that flexible time, I will need to be vigilant.

periwinkle
June 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thank you for the "welcome back" Sunbeam! I will try to post more tomorrow. A lot has happened over the past 5 months. I'm sure with all of you as well.

I'm glad to have read some gardening and composting stuff. I'll check out the website link for composting. I have taken a recent interest in that.

:h

Lila
June 11th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Peri!!!!
so glad you are back!!! I will post more later, but you have really been missed!
Lila

DeeBee
June 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Peri!! Welcome Back!!! I've missed you:-)
I'm off to drop the daughter at school then I'll catch up with you all.

Eve11
June 11th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Peri,
Ditto to what DeeBee said. Glad to *see* you again.

So cute, last night when son and I were competing for the computer he said "you just want to be on that website for drinkers and you don't even have a problem anymore!" Now wasn't that the best birthday present ever?

So, yes, even despite going over my mod goals on this vacation the fact that I am drinking controllably is major and apparently to my son not even an issue when I am not displaying drunken behavior the times I do drink.

This site and all of you have truly helped me and I'm so grateful to be here and just want to say Thank you everyone, old members, new members, lurkers considering being a member. MWO rocks!

Well, off to have a great birthday. On a beautiful CA beach, the boys have the new surfboard and the waves are calling to us.

((Hugs))
Eve11

DeeBee
June 11th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Happy Birthday Eve!! Have a wonderful day today -- I hope you are spoilt rotten:bday7:

mooderator
June 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hi Modders

Hiya Peri...welcome back...we'll be able to catch up with all your news over the next bit of time. Glad you are here!

Eve, I totally agree it is how you feel that matters and if you feel it is too much then it is too much. We all come at it from different points and I probably ought not to comment on quantities of others. Doing some AF time is always worthwhile. Its different for me as I simply dont drink regularly anymore so drinking on holidays or short breaks tends to be what I allow myself. For me at least it brings a slightly different perspective I think. I hope you have a wonderful birthday. It's lovely that your son doesnt think you have an issue with AL, so nice to hear it.

Hey Sunny, the fact that you are already aware that you will need to be vigiliant will hopefully be the key to your success this summer. Good luck to you anyway.

Hey Deebs...and others....sorry if I have missed you.

I have a session with my personal trainer at the gym tomorrow morning, so tonight after work it will be super healthy dinner and an early night as he will try to kill me tomorrow! God help me....

love Moo

Mad Mummy
June 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Hi Guys

Salvia??? Salvias are annual bedding plants in the UK (I think they're red flowers). I never thought of eating them - I will look out in park's etc and let you know if it's the same!

No seriously though, I know some herbs can have strange side effects so you do need to be careful.

Modding not successfully this week, don't know why but today feel decidedly yuk and need a few AF nights I think.

Love to all
Bx

DeeBee
June 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Ditto on feeling yuk MM.
I've had two mod nights already this week and I'm planning another tonight as we are seeing my brother's friend for dinner.
It's a long weekend for me this weekend -- a whole 4 days!! Yeehaaa and I intend for them to be AF. I swear I can feel my liver moaning at me.

Judie, I didn't know what a Merganzer was so googled it and it's come up with music, furniture and birds LOL I can only assume it was a duck you were refering to and not a whacky dining chair.

Moo, I wanted to ask you about being a veggie.... do you eat soya mince or soya products? I was looking for some interesting ways to incorporate soya into our diet as we really do eat too much meat.

Eve, how is your birthday going? Are you getting spoilt:-)
I too am keen to do more AF time and was thinking to go 30 days in July if anyone would like to join me -- the more the merrier.

Peri, I am dying to know what you've been up to these last 5 months -- come on, spill.

Lila, Vladster and Sun, how is the week treating you??

Well I've just got back from our session with the therapist and we won't be seeing her again till 2 weeks time because of the long weekend and then the daughter is writing exams. The therapist was telling me that when I first bought the daughter to see her that she had concerns that she was depressed and would need medication but after the session today she believes her concerns are unfounded YAY!!

She also told me something my daughter said. Apparently the daughter speaks of "me moment's" which are moments of light and clarity.... you know, those moments when everything is just right with the world. Well, she had one of these moments today whilst at school and said that she just "know's" that everything is going to be alright with the two of us -- what a tear-jerker moment.

Be well friends.

Saint Jude
June 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi everybody!:)
Yep DeeBee, that was a mama merganzer with her baby ducklings I was refering to. They were too cute. I think it's the same little family I've seen before, as the ducklings look about the same size(just a tiny bit bigger than last time I saw them), and about the same number of them... they're only about 2 1/2 inches tall, sitting on the water swimming, and about 21 of them (hard to count because they move around so fast!)

Welcome back Perri!;)

Happy Birthday Eve! Love your puter story about your son!:H

The other day @ the cafe one of the girls said, "My memories gotten so bad it's as short as Tony's d*ck!" LOL She purposely said it load so he's hear...
I said "OH it can't be that bad!" (He's our boss!) We have a kind of joking, somewhat informal relationship!

Day off from the cafe today, but I need to go do some yard work downstream for a while .
Have a great day everybody!
Hugs,
Judie

DeeBee
June 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM
:HLMAO Judie!! I'm gonna use that one on hubby the next time he tells me I've a short memory -- "only as short as your Mr Bean, Dear":H

mooderator
June 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Judie...I am loving the desciption of the ducklings...I love ducks...there great, so cute. Also LOL at the comment your friend made...love it.

Deebs...Yes I do eat soya products. I do eat some fish, but my husband does not. We buy soya sausages and other "replacement things". We use the soya mince in chillis, lasagne etc. You can get all kinds of stuff now. Personally I like it, I know some are not so keen. I think if you are starting out the mince is a really good place to start as with all the tomatoes and so on mixed up with it, it does not taste that different. I am not vegan, but I do use soya milk too in tea and on cereal, as its really good for you and I like it. I like cheese, but tend to beleive that cow's milk is meant for cows!!! Hope that helps a bit.

Hope everyones day is going well. I am off home now, just checking in before finishing work. Its been a long hard day, but I have tomorrow off...YAY. Mind you personal trainer will make sure thats a chore...LOL.

Its funny this time last week, I could feel the beast nagging and kinda new that I was going to give in to him. Ever since I did, he has abated completely. No beast whatsoever this week, great stuff.

TAKE CARE LOVELY PEOPLE.

Moo

periwinkle
June 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I have only a minute to check in.

I became quite busy with work and avoided the forum because I tend to spend way too much time here. I still was doing very well with my AL moderation. Then I experienced a traumatic event. I was a victim of a crime that will be going to trial next month. It was / is really hard for me to deal with. And in the midst of it, we moved to a new (different - not "new") house. I have recently recognized that I have been sliding back into old AL habits. I just woke up a few days ago realizing that I need to get back on track. It took a couple days for me to muster the courage to open the site here. I was hoping that you all would welcome me back.

I am going to figure out which box my hypno cd's are in, get a new supply of kudzu and start hanging out here (in moderation LOL!) and get myself back on track. I know that I can do it. But I know that I need the help of my friends here.

Thanks for your welcomes! Sad to "hear" that some of my friends are no longer here. Very glad to get back in touch with the friends who are and the new ones I am just meeting.

Happy b-day Eve! Is it today or was it yesterday? Either way, hope all your b-day wishes come true!

periwinkle :)

Lila
June 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I am sliding back a bit as well, Peri, so maybe we can encourage each other a bit. I bought the CDs but never used them. My kids kept taking my CD player from my bedside...
That sounds so awful and traumatic! Were you hurt physically? Are you going to testify as a witness? Maybe you can tell us the day so we can all send prayers.
Moving is another stress on top of that, so I can see how it would be somewhat of a tipping point.
I am having stress problems as well, not as bad it sounds! but still, I am here clenching my teeth, not knowing how to unwind. I have another court date, this is a very very nasty divorce, the kids and I are very short of funds, but there is a lot of very good things, so I am trying not to get carried away with the not so great.
If you want to share more, do so.
Lila

Saint Jude
June 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I don't have too much time or patience for a lot of the hypno CD's...:confused:
But I do turn on the subliminal one, just about every morning while I'm checking in here, & doing my eliptical/ getting ready for work routine...
Even if I'm not really listening to it,... I like to think maybe some of it might still just creep in there...;)

Hey! Great wonderful news! My nephew Colby will be home tomorrow!:h
He just finished his 2nd tour of duty in Afghanistan... he's been in Texas for the past couple of months, but will finally be home tomorrow!:H
I was so worried about him over there...

Life is GOOD!:l

DeeBee
June 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Morning fellow modders.
Thank gawd today is Friday is all I can say.
I just want to curl up in bed with a good book and shut the world out for a day.
Dinner last night was great. We also got a surprise visit from my friends brother who we hadn't seen in about 15 years.
A friend has lent me her copy of Marley & Me and Mama Mia, so the weekend will be spent relaxing and catching up on some TV time.

Peri, I am so sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of late. Please let us know when you are going to trial so we can pray for you.

Lila, big hugs to you. I hope that an amicable solution is near for you and your family.

Judie, that is such wonderful news about Colby.
I recently read " A thousand Suns" by the same author who wrote Kite Runner (Can't think of his name) and it's set in Afganistan during the war. It's a heart breaking read but gives a clear and accurate account of what life is like there.

Moo, I'm going to sneak some soya mince into the lasagne this weekend and see if the family spot it lol!!
I must tell you, I bought a pack of OSTRICH mince the other day but can't bring myself to cook it. It is supposed to be a lot healthier than other red meat as it has almost NO fat but I just can't bring myself to cook it.

"You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
-Zig Ziglar

Eve11
June 12th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Peri, I'm so glad to see you back - missed you from the old gang and our Zed days. So very sorry to hear about your traumatic situation and am praying for you and Lila and all of our MWO friends with major personal struggles.

DeeBee thanks for the birthday thread on generals! It meant a lot. I have always been a big celebrator for birthdays - love getting cards and being remembered. Just feel it's my one day of the year to really celebrate my life and blessings and it means so much to me when friends acknowledge me so thank you for doing that!

I absolutely loved the Kite Runner so imagine I would like the other book as well. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great week-end everyone. I may do things in reverse and NOT drink this week-end. Have been imbibing too much this vacation so think it's time to put a stop to it and clean my body out.

Take care and will keep in touch. Hi to all!
Eve11

mooderator
June 12th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Morning Modders...

Peri...I am really sorry to hear that you have been through such a lot. I am a lawyer and although I dont do very much criminal law these days, I do see some dreadful things and there are some truely awful people in the world. I just hope you are getting lots of support and assistance to help you deal with some of the after affects of such a thing. As you already know, we are all here for you in any way we can be. Lots of happy thoughts being sent your way. So pleased you are back here.

Lila...you must be so stressed with an acrynomious divorce in your life. When there are children involved it is soooo much harder emotionally. The strain is dreadful, its as thought whatever is going on in your day to day life, that is just hanging over you all the time. I hope your court hearing brings some sort of ending to it all for you. Thoughts are with you.

Eve I hope you have enjoyed your hols and had a wonderful birthday. Back to the real world soon enough I fear! Make the most of your hols for the last weekend.

Deebs - You had me in stitches over the Ostrich meat - LOL...Poor little bugger, you cant cook it..!!!! Let me know how the lasagne goes. Normally you put the "meat" in last rather than first, although that may depend on the brand (sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs!).

Judie...thats happy news about Colby. You must be delighted and very relieved he is back...

Well I have just had a session with personal trainer...he is pushes pretty hard and is working out a new program for me for the gym...with lots of interval training....trying to up the anti a bit for summer. So feeling very knackered, but happy!!

I am actually enjoying racking up the AF time again. The weekend starts here and I am delighted that it will be AF. Feeling really really positive at the moment, its great.

Love to all, Moo

DeeBee
June 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I can feel your positive vibes from here Moo -- you are rocking!!

Lila
June 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I can too, Moo! School just got out and I couldn't get away to work out - good for you!

Saint Jude
June 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Hi everybody.;)
Just a quik pop in, before I head into town.
I'm going to go get some little flags to take to the airport for when we pick up Colby!:) I'm so glad he'll be home & safe! 2 tours over there,... and he seems like such a kid to me! I can't imagine the things he's had to see & do!

I'm riding along with my Brother & SIL to pick him up. The aiport's an hour &1/2 away so I need to get going.
Have a great day everybody!

:l
Judie

DeeBee
June 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
You must be so excited Judie -- have a wonderful reunion and party!!

vlad
June 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi all! Just a quick pop in - helping Doug Horley with his puppets for his show tonight at a local school:

http://www.jimbailey.org/uploadfiles/banddougie.jpg

vlad
June 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I so want that shark!!!

DeeBee
June 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
What a cool Sharkey Vladster!!
My fav rugby team is called the Sharks. Which reminds me, we are playing the Irish this weekend (I think)

Sarasmiles
June 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to check in. All is well, and I'm doing an AF stretch. I just get so darned anxious sometimes, and that makes me want to drink. I'm going to read up on alcohol and anxiety.

Busy times with the kids, and work...so I haven't been here much, but I think of all of you, and I'll try to check in more. Sara

DeeBee
June 13th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Morning Gals,

And what a beautiful morning it is!!
Yesterday when the garden service came they also bought me 2 rose bushes which another client asked them to dig up, so I scored FREE roses! Oh joy! I have never grown roses so it's all a bit of an experiment.

So today, when I've finished the damn Ad that has to go to the printers on Monday I'm going to go and pot about in the garden. And then, I dunno, just relax.

Sara, if you google AL and anxiety you'll be busy for a week reading up! Are you taking anything for the anxiety (supps?). There is quite a lot availbale out there but what is really working for me is the L-Theanine, 5-HTP and magnesium combo.
BTW I hope you aren't being scarce because you are doing an AF stretch? There are a few of us that were talking about getting in some serious AF time, please stay close and we can support one another.

Hi to everyone else.... I hope the Mod life is treating you well.

HUGS

vlad
June 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Wow! That puppeteering was hard - a fish on each hand, there were 6 of us in total, was a pretty difficult routine. The shark was enormous!!! Luckily the pros operated that one!

vlad
June 13th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Check this out...

Educational Puppets for early prevention & awareness! (http://www.puppets-puppets.com/Nic_Friends_p/nicandfriends.htm)

mooderator
June 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Happy saturday modders...

Just had my hair cut. Although my hairdresser does a wonderful job on my mop (which is very short) she has a certain way of styling it, that a) I dont think suits me at all and b) I dont like in general. But, I havent got the heart to tell her this, so I normally live with it for a few hours then wash it and do it how I like it. Oh, the madness of the world.

So I am off to run the saturday errands now, shopping for food etc. Deep joy!

AF this weekend so planning to have a really nice dinner of whatever I fancy the most when I am in the supermarket. I am utterly and completely happy not to be drinking this weekend. NO BEAST. How marvellous is that.

Sara - I think that Deebs is right, you will find a plethora of stuff on the web about anxiety and AL. Have you ever tried aromatherapy oils? I am a real fan of these. Cheap and very effective. Try lavendar in a hot bath or on your pillow to assist anxiety.

Love to all.....and have a wonderful weekend.

love Moo

Sunbeam
June 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hi all,
We are off to the zoo today! It is a smaller zoo, which one can comfortably walk through in a couple of hours. They add a new exhibit each year, so it isn't one of the older zoos with just rows of cages. Then we will have lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Maybe I'll have a margarita, just one.

Deebs, I will think of you when I see the ostriches.
Judie, ducks are what I'm thinking about for you.
Sara and Lila, I will think of you when I see parents and small children.
Vlad, I guess the shark will connect my thoughts to you!
Moo, will there be cows??
Peri, I'm hoping for a baby goat of some kind.
Eve, I think you take exotic vacations, maybe elephants??

Saint Jude
June 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.mywayout.org/community/images/icons/icon1.gif
Colby's home!
:) Got him home yesterday afternoon!

He's wearing a bracelet of one of his buddys who he lost while he was home on leave last year...:upset:

So glad we got him back safe and sound!:h

We suprised him @ the airport, he didn't know his brother, SIL or I would be there.(as well as his Mom & Dad) It was a wonderful reunion!;)

Had I been driving,... the first thing we'd have done would have been to get that soldier a beer! But it was my big brother @ the wheel, he hardly drinks (ever!), so we just headed strait home...

Sunbeam, I like a margarita with lunch too! There's a place in Brookings that has great mexican food and margs that are served in these "fish bowl" glasses, I even have a hard time finishing one! LOL

mooderator
June 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Sunny I sure hope there will be Cows...they are great! I love 'em.

Judie..I am so glad for you. Tragic about Colby's friend. Just awful. But sounds like you had an awsome day.

Everyone sounds like they are having a really nice weekend..YAY.

We just got back from supermarket shop and Hubby bought himself 3 bottles of beer to go with buffet type dinner tonight. I did buy anything alcoholic and better still I was not even tempted. WOW what a feeling...its liberating.

Love to all

Moo ooo

DeeBee
June 14th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Howzit going Gals!

Moo, I must share with you what happened to me on Friday -- I was driving home from work and using the back roads which are normally quicker and less congested. Anyway I am toodling along only to come to a grinding halt because a family, not a herd, a family of cows were cruising up the road. Mama cow, papa cow and baby cow all taking a walk through our neighbourhood -- a bazaar sight!!

Sun, how was the zoo?? Did they have any ostriches?? I can't remember when last I went to the zoo -- we don't have any near us unfortunately.

Judie, how was the coming home party for Colby? Do you think it'll take time for him to adjust being home again?

Well, I'm not very proud of myself -- had a bit of a fanny wobble yesterday!
So the daughter has gone to my parents for the long weekend which wasn't planned but very welcome as my Mum arrived just as I was about to murder the daughter. I had been mucking about watering the garden and somehow broke the tap -- but I didn't just break it, oh no, the whole bloody thing came apart and was gushing water EVERYWHERE. So the daughter comes out and starts crapping on me cause theres no water for her to take a shower ...............hmmmmm, I'll just say that my choice of words to her was not very lady-like.

Needless to say that I got to the shops too late to get a bottle of wine so with a drop lip went without last night.

Anyhoo, I am over it today and looking forward to a quiet one.

Howz everyone's weekend going?

mooderator
June 14th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hey Guys

Deebs, that is really odd, to see a family of cows like that...how cute is that. I just love cows...all cow stories gratefully received.

Sounds like the daughter really got up your nose, they have a real talent for it at that age dont they? Good that your mum provided a buffer for the night. I'm sure that once you see her again all will be well. Mum's are great arnt they. Well sometimes!!

Probably good that the store was shut, better to drink wine when you have a good head on I always think.

All is great here, had a lovely AF saturday night with some Baileys Ben and Jerrys for afters as a treat.YUM. Really pleased I didnt drink last night as today me and Mr Moo have to go and see our tenant to collect rent and cut their flipping grass. Wouldnt want to be doing that with a hangover. AF life is certainly easier!!

Just a note to self, I have had a totally "beast free" weekend, (marvellous) but I made a point of staying close this week after the previous week when this had not been possible. I think it makes a big difference just to my state of mind, even though we hardly actually discussed AL this week. Just a thought...I think it shows how much we all get out of this support network. ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO MY FRIENDS.

Happy sunday to all

Moo