Potatoes not Prozac, by DesMaisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This book broadens the scope beyond alcoholism to "sugar sensitivity" Alchohol is a very simple sugar, and most alcoholics are sugar sensitive (witness all the donuts and coffee at AA meetings!)

In the spirit of MWO, this book focuses on the role of neurotransmitters in feeling good, how supplements can help, and discusses how high-gycemic foods (especially alcohol!) can have a detrimental effect.

The best part is it suggests nutrition and eating patterns to help stabilize moods and cravings.

Would be curious to hear from others: have you read the book? What did you think? What are your experiences if you have followed the rogram"?
    Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Your right Puddytat.......I can't count the number of tootsie pops that are devoured in one AA meeting. The coffee.......sugar is the biggest staple used ! Ha! I have also noticed that smoking is at an all time high ! Sounds to me that most people are choosing one poison for another.....IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

I haven't read the book, but it sounds interesting -- where does the potato come into it?
      I wish I had've realised earlier that I was substituting my new sugar addiction for AL, it has been very difficult to cut back on the sugar in my diet.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

my new-found love of SUGAR!!

Man, I've been saying for years, "I just don't have a sweet tooth" - but take away AL! or even just minimize it, which is where I'm at this week -- I'm just craving it!

The "potato" comes in in the evening. It's a pure carb she recommends eating without protein before bed, to help prime a neurotransmitter pump.

What the book points out is that all foods are reduced to sucrose, but more complex carbohydrates have fiber (whole grains -- undistilled!) or else pectin (fruits) to help slow the absorbtion. Sugar sensitive people over-react to sugars, and it whacks out the insulin response, fatigues the adrenal glands, tickles the addictive roller-coaster -- and sends emotions and feelings up-n-down and out of control.

Her suggestions, and knowledge, feel like ideas that can help support longer-term sobriety (which I don't have right now) ... so thought I would share.

The idea is to slowly incorporate dietary changes that help minimize 'sugar hits'
        Step one is to get used to having a breakfast everyday that incorporates a protein -- to put the brakes on the carbs, to put the 'break the fast" well. Another step involved Supplements, in kind to what are suggested in MWO.

I figure this food plan is another arrow for our quivers!

Comment

Eating breakfast has probably been one of my biggest challenges..... but now just try and keep me away from my porrige in the morning.
          I have even been known to ask what's for breakfast in my sleep LOL
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

book has alcoholic under-pinnings

Forgot to mention that this book has alcoholic under-pinnings.
            The author developed this nutrition plan when she headed an alcohol treatment center.
            Her toughest group was repeat drunken-drivers, and with this group she started developing, and then scientifically testing her nutritional ideas. Seemed to work!

Also, the author had an alcoholic parent. She herself started drinking, but after an illness that compromised her liver, she couldn't drink alcohol anymore because it made her physically sick. (kind of like a built-in anti-craving med!) so at a young age she turned her attention to sugars, with similar results of a "dry-drunk"

So, the title might seem to address organic depression, but if you read it it seems to address addiction much more than depression.

- Puddy

Comment

DeeBee Porrige!?! Give me a manly breakfast ! Ha! (Crap....I'm hungry ! Ha!) IAD
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Holy Crap IAD -- did you take a photo of my hubby's breakfast this morning LOL!!

Comment

Dee....I hope he enjoyed his Breakfast like I enjoyed mine ! Ha! LOL IAD.
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

LOL ... toothpick

I'm cracking up! hey about the toothpick, the book actually does a "wood" on the far end of the carbohydrate spectrum, labelled "undigestible"!!!!:H

Comment

Loved that book!
                      And, when stopped drinking, found myself craving sugar, but never had a sweet tooth before. You may laugh - I put honey in my tea and found myself nervous to run out of honey at night, very much like liquer store closing on me before...
                      There is some truth to her theory. I do the potatoe every night, try to do breakfast.
                      Zinc, B and C are my good friends as well. It is not going to hurt, for sure
                      "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

i never used to have a sweet tooth either but when i began the journey to stop drinking..i couldnt get enough of sweets. im confusted about the potato though

Comment

The potatoe is supposed to raise your seratonin level, which is the "feel good" hormone.
                          Have it three hours before sleep, but with no protein. Check out her web site: radiantrecovery.com
                          I do believe my drinking had a lot to do with blood sugar imbalances! Very common in women as well.
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I never did the WHOLE program, but for a while did the potato part, I recall that I was doing a small (about 3 oz.) potato in the evening about 1/2 an hour before going to bed (I think she wanted you to eat it about 3 hours after your dinner) so for me it would be about 9:30 or 10:00 p.m.

I also remember it was a big deal to NOT eat any protein with it, but some fat was ok, so you could put some olive oil or butter on it, but no cheese or bacon or stuff like that on it. I remember when I was doing it I would get funky dreams too, and remember in the book she said that was the serotonin spiking up, and if you got too much of that you might be having too big of a potato those nights!

I remember to that she made a big deal out of getting away from SUGAR and the white carbs like white flour, white rice, processed foods in general, etc. Pretty good nutritional advice overall.

Comment

Yes! You are right about protein, but I took it as not having a steak with my potatoe.
                              Overall, very good advice, I wish I could follow it to a tee.
                              If I stay clear of AL, can I have my coffee and honey, please?
                              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X