Face to Face Kishline, Audrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This book was written by Audrey Kishline, the founder of Moderation Management and co-authored by Shery Maloy, the mother and ex-wife of the two people Audrey killed when she drove recklessly while drunk on a binge while trying to follow a abstinence program (after realizing she could not moderate).

It was so painful to read about the horror of Audrey waking up in a hospital bed to learn that she had killed two innocent people the night before. For those of us who have wondered what we did the night before...what an absolute nightmare to think that an outcome like this could happen to any of us.

For everyone here, moderating or trying to abstain...this book is a MUST read.

Very spiritual book about the power of forgiveness. Very eye opening about the real risks of drinking and driving! Simply put...if you're going to drink...modding or trying to abstain and falling off the wagon...DON'T DRIVE!!!

Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Eve,
    I was a member of the Moderation Management website about 13 years ago. I read Audrey's 1st book while I was in graduate school. I heard about her car accident where she got into her truck after drinking a ton of vodka. How horrible, not only for her and that family, but for that program. I didn't know about this new book, so I will definitely look for it.

Comment

Thank you Eve11. I've been trying so hard to find a balance between beating myself up so badly and falling into the darkness and victim-hood about my DUI after having been doing well for a month on the MWO program....and making sure I take what happened seriously, giving this good attention, finding gratitude in the fact that I didn't hurt myself, anyone else, did not have my kids in the car with me, etc etc.

Your post was timely for me, it has been exactly 3 weeks since my DUI, I am coming to terms with the guilt in a way that doesn't put me so far down that I want to drink over it (I keep hearing the old AA saying in my head, "Poor me, poor me, POUR ME ANOTHER ONE.")

I am also 21 Days AF today, and I just went onto my local library website and put a hold on this book to get it and give it a read.

Comment

I had a DUI once too, in about the same time frame as I read Audrey's 1st book -- the very day after I graduated with my master's degree. To go from feeling so on top of the world, to feeling so low. It was horrible, and very few people (family/friends) even know about it. So Scrubbly, I can empathize with you very much.

Comment

Thanks all for such honest posts. There are many of us who could have/should have had DUI's but just didn't get caught.

As I read the book I kept thinking "But for the grace of God there go I" as I have to honestly post that I have drank too much in the past and driven. This book really hit home with me of NEVER drinking and driving again - more so than anything else I have ever read. Although Audrey's actions sadly took two lives perhaps this book can save many more. Her experiences about prison were also eye opening and certainly makes one NEVER want to have that experience.

Hugs,
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I joined MM a little while ago but haven't really been an active member -- I didn't know that about her.

Thanks Eve, I'm going to look out for this at the libuary -- I still have flash-backs of when I drank and drove -- bloody stupid!
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I just got this from the library, and am quite honestly terrified to read it. I just finished the 1st chapter and am practically in tears. Maybe this is the real kick in the ass that I need, though. Talk about Scared Straight.

Comment

Wow CS, really?
                My library didn't have it so I'll have to order it from Amazon.
                Please let me know what you think of the book.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Yeah, Deebs. And hubby and I kinda had a fight last night about my "struggles" with AL. I don't know if I can do this today.

Comment

Oh CS I am sorry to hear that.
                    Sending you loads of strength and love to "do this".
                    You can!!
                    P.S. Do you know that it was a year ago that you put my name on the "list":-)

Comment

Yeah, wow -- I forgot about the list! I need to get my name back on the list.

I just don't know if I can read this right now. I have work that I need to get done, and I will be a wreck if I read any more. To think, what if I had inflicted that kind of pain on a family. To think if I were to do this, what would my husband and son and stepson do. I think my husband would leave me. We just had a really nice weekend; baby stayed overnight at grandparents, and I cannot bear to think about losing my family. I am getting really upset.

Comment

I am having a rough afternoon, but doing better. Thanks, DeeBee and Eve.

Oh and Deebs, that "list" was the original August Army thread. I think Lukalee and I started that. Then came the British invasion!

Comment

I had forgotten all about this thread until it popped up on the "New Posts" just now...and saw that I had made that commitment a while back to read this book.

Well, I did, and it was a doozy. I mean that in both good ways and bad ways.

Good in that it is truly a powerful book as Eve had mentioned. Bad in that it scared the living shite out of me, and as for the timing with my DUI I think it intensified my guilt somewhat, in hindsight I think I might have waited a bit longer before I read it, but once I was in the middle of it there was really no turning back.

CS - I agree with you, I had to take frequent "breaks" in the reading of this book too - take care of YOU whilst in the midst of this....

I found the ending a bit discouraging too, but I won't pull a spoiler here for those in the midst of or looking forward to reading it...and some of you may not find it discouraging at all, just brutally honest.

It was nice for me to re-read my post from back then too, I was feeling pretty raw then, and I see how much better things are looking in my life now that I'm at 59 days AF. Onward and upward!

Comment

Scrubbly, that is great! Almost 60 days. Hooray!

Comment

Thanks CS - all the best to you! :l

Comment

Working...
                              X