Baclofen: Wonder Drug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I'm seeing some wonderful results with baclofen, first with alcohol withdrawal and abstinence, and now with benzo (xanax) withdrawal symtoms.

I've been taking 1 mg. of xanax in the morning just to keep me from drinking alcohol during the day, and also just to feel "normal". This has been prescribed by a doctor for major anxiety (my root cause for alcoholism), for the last three years. I would be in a major "anxiety wreck" in the mornings until I took my xanax to get me to my night drinking.

My doctor took a 1 month vacation during the time I ran out of xanax, so I couldn't get a refill. I panicked for a while and then took .5 mg. of baclofen - guess what, for me at least, I got the same results from the bac as I was getting for years with the benzo! Relaxation, with little or no feeling of anxiety or want of a benzo or drink. I'm loving it.

Baclofen has been around for a long time, and can been had cheap, both through your doctor and, also, riverpharmacy and 4RX. It was originally developed to help people with spasmic muscle conditions, but only recent findings by intuitive individuals ( like Bill P.), shows that it can be a miracle drug for people like me to get off alcohol completely, and almost effortlessly. Getting off benzos immediatley with this drug was the clincher for me.

My question is: What drug, that is considered non addictive, can get you through alcohol withdrawals as effectively as diazepam, can kill your cravings for the drink, destroy your addiction to benzos, as well as baclofen?

p.s. Again, my thanks to Bill P. for his expertise, knowledge, and excellent feedback concerning baclofen, which has helped me and others, immensely. Drug companies can't make much off a drug that has been around for so long, thus not much attention until now. Baclofen must be discussed in great detail, alone, just for the wide range, positive benefits that it promises for those of us suffering from addiction.

Haha! Well the answer is No to your questions about what other drug can do what baclofen does. And it is with profound happiness to see people such as yourself and others that decided to give baclofen a try and see the results.

And it is true, baclofen reduces anxiety dramatically, that is proven and also as effective in studies as valium in treating alcohol withdrawal. As well as benzos of which I have not researched for empirical studies but benzos work on the same receptors (gabba a) as alcohol. If baclofen can reduce alcohol withdrawal it surely could work on benzos. My old biochemistry professior used to explain them [benzodiazepines] as "alcohol in a pill".

For me, it was a gamechanger and truly a miracle and also fate I believe that I came across this forum when I was fit to burst wanting to scream "IT WORKS"!!! In fact, one of the websites I am making is baclofenworks.com to come out in a couple of months in between my regular work duties among a few others. This baclofen has altered my life in a dramatic way and it is something that we are only in the beginning of all of this!! This is going to be huge in the next 5-10 years!! I believe in this so much, mainly because of all my attempts that have ended in failure with other medicines and self-experimentation. Nothing worked!

It reminds of an old Buddy Hackett joke: There was this soldier in the Korean War. Every time he saw he a piece of paper, he'd pick it up and say: "that's not it!"
    Everywhere he went, pick up a piece of paper: "that's not it!"
    This happened for many months and without failure, any piece of paper he'd find "thats not it!"
    This came to the attention of his superiors and he went to the army shrinks and still, he'd see a piece of paper, pick it up and say: "thats not it!"

So finally, they gave him a section 8, a discharge from the United States military for reason of being mentally unfit for service. Well his sargent came along with his paper stating his discharge. He looked it over, smiled and said "this is it!"

Comment

Having finally titrated up to 90 mg day, I can tell you I feel a huge difference in my desire to drink.

I never did like benzos and would turn my nose up at taking one in lieu of drinking, because of that immediate relief one gets from the first one or two drinks. I never liked the "feel" from a benzo like I did alcohol.

So, controlling my anxiety is key to sobriety.

Hey, that Rhymes

Baclofen seems to be helping me immensely.

I will stay at 90 mg / day and see how it goes. If necessary, I will bump it up. My psychiatrist is working with me on this, which is a great relief. I like having a doctor who is willing to try something different.

Anyhow, yes, so far, Baclofen appears to be a wonder drug. I have my fingers crossed it is not merely a placebo effect and that this will last a lifetime.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Baclofen ... THE WONDER DRUG !!!!

Baclofen SURE is a wonder drug to ME !!!
        I WONDER why those who are still struggling, don't give it a try ???
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I am seeing a big difference since being on Baclofen too. It's interesting that now I have to really think about drinking as opposed to before that I had to force myself not to think about drinking.
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I havent heard about baclofen....I hear its a muscle relaxer....is it a benzo? what class of drug is it in? Did you get it from your DR? Is it sold online?

Comment

If you're lucky and have a good Dr. then you can get a RX for it or if not you can buy it on line from different sources. Read on the different threads and see what others have to say about it. Worked well for me !!!
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

davenc;638957 wrote: I havent heard about baclofen....I hear its a muscle relaxer....is it a benzo? what class of drug is it in? Did you get it from your DR? Is it sold online?
                Its not a benzo at all, its nonaddictive and noneuphoric. *Baclofen is an oral medication that relaxes skeletal muscles, the muscles that move the skeleton (also called striated muscle). Chemically, baclofen is related to gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that nerves use to communicate with one another. GABA released by some nerves causes the activity of other nerves to decrease. It is believed that baclofen, acting like GABA, blocks the activity of nerves within the part of the brain that controls the contraction and relaxation of skeletal muscle. (*pasted from medicinenet)

The cheapest way to get it is from a Doctor and if your city has a generic program, like at walmart. You can get it for 10$ for a 90 day supply based on 20 mg a day. Most will end up taking around 80-100mg. So about 40-50$ for the higher dose 720-900 tabs

4rx.com is what I have used many times for my wife's meds. I recommended them here and several other people have had their shipments arrive in approx. 2 weeks with no prescription needed. This is the cheapest of the bunch of online pharmacies I have seen @ 56$ for 200 (10mg) tabs plus shipping. Others such as River are spectacularly higher charging 150+ dollars for only 180mg. Somehow they figured they could sell what baclofen 10mg pill that costs 5 cents at walmart for 95cents per pill. or 19 times more.
                So be careful that you dont get ripped off with other pharmacies.

It's a very safe drug and if you can get it from your doctor, you will save bookoo bucks over the long term if you like not having an interest to drink. Read the baclofen threads, several of us have posted answsers to most of the questions you will have.
                This thread is a good place to start, I posted alot of info and my experience on that thread https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...fen-32504.html

Then check out other's progress as to how they are doing, they are quite interesting

Comment

I just went back to some really old posts from 2009 when this all kicked off.

People coming here should go back through the old threads and see how baclofen took over this board. They should also ask whether this is because it is just like any of the other drugs which people like SF posts about or whether what we are now seeing is the realization in places like the NIH and big pharma that this is the real thing.

Keep watching this space is all I can say.
                  BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Working...
                  X