Topomax and Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topomax and Baclofen

I was wondering if you can use both together. or is that a big no no.

Topomax and Baclofen

Well they both cause drowsiness and fogginess, baclofen is not as bad as topamax in terms of the mental side effects. Patients often discontinue topamax because of its mental side effects, unable to think clearly, speak clearly... etc... The term people with those side effects often refer to it is as dopamax.

Baclofen has initial drowsiness, followed my random transient drowsiness which is much less of a problem as one adjusts to it rapidly.
    Pairing the two could theoretically potentiate these issues of drowsiness and enhance topamax's dopey mental effects.
    This occurs with me when I take diphenhydramine with baclofen. Never worked as an OTC sleep aid for me, but it really is strong with baclofen really making one drowsy. Which is great for me when I want to go to bed, its like the first few days I took baclofen I had this overwhelming feeling of wanting to go to sleep which quickly went away. So it potentiates diphenhyramine's effects and vice-versa.

This is the interaction profile listed by drugs.com,, which although I have not researched this question much, it does make sense as to what they say is a moderate drug-drug interaction

topamax and Baclofen Interactions

You searched for interactions between:

* topamax (topiramate)
    * Baclofen (baclofen)

Interaction(s) found:

Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction baclofen and topiramate (Moderate Drug-Drug)
    MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT:
    During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Comment

Topomax and Baclofen

Thanks Bill that is good information.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
      X