Crookneck squash and sausage casserole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fry onions and sausage in olive oil until sausage is cooked through and onions are tender.
    Add squash, tomatoes and spinach
    Add garlic salt to taste
    Cover and reduce heat to low until spinach is wilted.
    Add cream and wine if desired.
    Add your assorted cheeses, use whatever you like I used about 1/2 cup shredded Italian Blend
    Put mixture in greased 8" x 8" casserole dish, top with more cheese (I used some old cheddar jack slices that were going rough around the edges and some shredded cheddar)
    Bake for 30 minutes at 350?F

This recipe is adaptable, use a nice zucchini squash or add mushrooms, or use a nice vegan sausage substitute. Sausage and squash is a very nice combination.
    vegan zombies want your grains

Sounds yummy. I will make this when our zucchini comes in our garden. We always have a lot and get tired of zucchini bread. Thanks!
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

What is a crooknexk squash??

Comment

Rags, it's a variety of summer squash, usually yellow, with an elongated narrow top that is curved -- therefore, it looks like it has a crooked neck.

Lushy, I also have zucchini in my garden, and I have lots of recipes where you can actually taste the zucchini, not bury it in zucchini bread (though I have nothing against zucchini bread). We'll commisserate later in garden season!

Comment

Ah, thanks CS. I was thinking maybe butternut pumpkin, but didn't think it went with the rest of the ingredients.

Comment

excellent!

Two crook-necked squash landed in my possession last weekend, and I remembered your post.
            (And I had wasn't sure what they were or how big - but instantly recognized them from your description -- kinda small, golden-yellow, and 'crook-necked'

Use kale instead of spinach, as that was on hand. Canned tomatoes on hand - alas no fresh on hand. Spicy italian sausage. Cheddar cheese. Put the toast on top as 'au gratin' bread crumb topping.

Really good! Will be making this all summer and into fall here in the USA using fresh produce

Like you say it's really adaptable. thank you for sharing, Cycle
            Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Does anybody know of a good brand of (get ready for this) vegetarian sausage? I just bought some squash yesterday.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Green - no, but you might consider using tempeh - a nice marinated one would do the trick!

in case anyone wondering what is tempeh:
                "Tempeh is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form."
                Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

What a great combo......love them both...together it's got to be good! IAD
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

OK, made this tonight using Morningstar veggie sausage and red kale. I used yogurt instead of cream and some diluted balsamic vinegar instead of wine. Just what I needed - delish & comforting after my disappointment in court. I'm going to go eat some more.
                    sigpic

Comment

That's one of the things I love about you Greenie, when most of us would turn to chips and dip or something like that for "comfort" you turn to veggie sausage, vegetables, and heart healthy yogurt.

You are my hero. :l

Comment

Scrubbly, I used considerably more than 1/2 C cheddar cheese. :H:H:H
                        sigpic

Comment

Greenie, Tofurkey Italian Sausage is great. So are their Beer Brats and Kielbasa. But for this recipe, their Italian Sausage is super. My husband and I sometimes just grill their Beer Brats and have them with sauerkraut for a wonderful dinner with a salad. Great stuff. And their Kielbasa is better than the dead pig stuff. Check it out.
                          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

greeneyes;653211 wrote: Does anybody know of a good brand of (get ready for this) vegetarian sausage? I just bought some squash yesterday.
                            i love tofurkey's italian sausages and field roast has a goodone as well.

are you vegetarian?
                            i am

Comment

I'll look for tofurkey. I think my brother in CA mentioned it.

I'm not vegetarian, close, but not yet. I probably will be devout after seeing Food Inc. this afternoon.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X