Help! I need to get sober!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My doctor put me on Campral, however, I have continued to drink. I am drinking about a bottle of wine a day, I want & need to stop. I don't know what to do !! PLEASE help me with your advise. Should I go to detox? Can I detox at home? I really need to stop. The Campral is not going to work as long as I continue to drink. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks,

Sherrry
    Atlanta:new:

For one be here. I haven't been in that situation before so I wouldn't know what to do. But post in here and be active.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Sher, it is hard to say whether you need to go to detox. have you tried to stop drinking before? if so what kind of reaction did you have? did you have problems if so you may want to go to detox? if you are having trouble stopping and it is causing problems in your life you may want to go to rehab (not necesarily detox). This is a good option and there are other options other than campral. i didnt find campral worked either. What is happening in your life, what kind o support do you have, can you take some time away to go and get sober. this is a good place to come and talk.

Comment

My guess is that if "about a bottle" of wine is a 750ml bottle, not a 1.5l one, and "about" means less than or equal to, you can safely detox at home. You may want to get the book and various supplements (described on home page and in health store) to help you. Search the forum or the web for symptoms of detox. If you get shakes you may need meds from your dr. but I and many other people here drank a bottle of wine routinely and detoxed fine without help. Welcome to the site.

Comment

Sherry,

I agree with Louise. If it a small bottle of wine, chances are good, not 100% because everyone is different, but good that you can safely stop at home.

Have you been able to get any AF days in?

Campral didn't help me with my cravings at all but it is known to be very helpful with healing the brain, which does help with long term abstinence.

I am glad you are here and I hope we can help you.

I suggest you consider downloading RJ's book and look into the supplementation. The supplements also help you feel better, which in turn leads to less stress when trying to stay away from the wine.

Are you wanting to quit altogether or considering trying to moderate?

Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Sherry,
            I stopped drinking with the help of Campral and some little benzos about a week ago and the second day was the hardest. Are you taking 6 tabs/day? Do you drink during the day or just during the evening? Did you doctor prescribe anything else?
            Tell us more...
            Tulipe
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Sherry, before you decide to detox at home...get honest with yourself about what "about a bottle" really is. I used to say oh i drank a couple of drinks and i really believed that but really i drank much more. There is a drink tracker on this site. Maybe if you are still drinking you could start by tracking your true intake. Also if you have ever had the shakes during any previous detoxes you may want to get medical help

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am drinking about a bottle a day..seriuosly. I do want to stop. I have Baclofen and Tamazepen for withdrawal. I just NEED to do it. What happens is I wake up and say today is the day I a going to quit. And something happens and before I know it, I am buying wine and drinking it. That's what makes me think I need to go into detox. I am my worst enemy. Unless I ask my BF to take my car keys and then I have no way to get to the store and but wine. I have GOT to stop the cycle!! It's really harming me.... Physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I have got to stop drinking!!!! Thank you all so very much! Sherry

Comment

Sherry

I am with you every step of the way Sherry.
                  Becky

One crack at life

Comment

Sherberry welcome, you can do this. You have taken the first important step, realising and admiting there is a problem and deciding to do something about it.
                    I agree with the above posts, download the book and read it. From there you can start to formulate a plan of action. Take it slowly and One Day At A Time.
                    Keep safe
                    KTAB
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Sherberry, it's the obsession with alcohol that makes us keep drinking. We have to get through it. I too tried to stop for a while and would say each morning, I will not drink today and yet on my way home from work would pick up the bottle of wine. EVERYDAY.
                      I couldn't understand it, but I had lost control.

You should read the MyWay Out book and get the supps. You may want to think about trying AA, as well. I never wanted to go to AA, but once I started, I like to think I lost the wine obsession and am now obsessed with AA. And I'm on day 56 AF, and have been to almost 70 meetings in that period of time. It seems to be working. As well as using this site and the supps etc.

You can do it. Keep trying.

Winefree

Comment

Hi Sher,
                        Hope you are doing ok - I agree the supps help a lot. You sound like you really want to stop and that is great. However, I wonder if giving your car keys to your BF would help or just cause a fight? Everyone is different, and I am new at this, but for me it didn't work to put someone else in control of whether I drank or not.
                        Campral helped me a lot actually - are you still taking them?
                        Tulipe
                        Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                        AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

thanx for posting the information
                          Drug Rehab

Comment

Working...
                          X