Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vodka deaths in Russia

Article in today's Times:

Vodka kills as many Russians as a war, says report in The Lancet - Times Online

There's a series of articles in The Lancet about alcohol and health - you have to register to read them.

TheLancet.com - Home Page

Enjoy!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Vodka deaths in Russia

good article marsh

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

how many will read it

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

Wow. That something that is legal can kill so many is terrifying.
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

Yeah isn't it the truth. And the govt. condones it. There shld be a prescription for it just like any other drug. But nooooooooooo! The govt. makes too much money from it. So what if they're killing us. They don't care. Same with cigs.
          Starting over again
          ray:

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

I have a nephew adopted from Russia, story is his mother bad alcoholic with the vodka.

He never had winter clothes because he was in an orphanage and never went outside
            Was only picked up for 15 minutes a day as a baby (I know can you even)
            Even when they brought clothes for him to wear to come to USA the ladies in the orphanage put all the clothes brought for the whole trip home on him. Everything all the shirts, pants et under the snowsuit.

He is doing good has a little bit of the fetal alcohol syndrome stuff but goes to an excellent school he s six now and spent the first two years of his life in the orphanage.

The orphanages are full there but because of the laws adoption is still very hard and $$$$$ about $20,000 dollars to adopt him
            Sammys

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

Sammys, your nephew is so fortunate.... I have always had a huge heart to adopt a child from Russia. It is too late for me now... that was a dream I had years ago. I think it is SICK how the govt. lets them die in the orphanages when so many want to adopt them. Rant over. :upset:
              If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

I majored in Russian in college and lived in Moscow for awhile. I did not ever go to an orphanage. But I have seen plenty of vodka drinking.

I teach ESL (English as a Second Language) and have had many Russian students. In K-12, esp. in ESL, you deal with the family along with the kid. I have heard some sad stories.

I also taught in a district that had a number of American families who had adopted Russian, or Russian-speaking, children. (one family's kids were adopted from Estonia, but the kids spoke Russian as their 1st language.) All three children had speech problems (distinguished from language problems. The youngest of the 3 was not even talking (he was under a year old, so it wasn't too much of a developmental issue) when he arrived in the US, but once he did start to talk, his speech was messed up. I was incredulous, and am even more so now, telling this story (it's been awhile), watching my own almost-3-year-old and his speech patterns, how those early experiences can affect very young children.

With that family, I even watched the video tape that the orphanage had sent the adoptive parents, to determine if the children had speech problems in their 1st language (obviously Russian). The tape was so unclear that I couldn't tell.

Sorry to go on.

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

Very interestingv article. With vodka at either 44% or 80+% it is potent. That would shut down your liver and kidneys real fast.
                  Sammmys and CS... We are indeed fortunate in so many ways.

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

The governments are just dealers. I don't want to demonise alcohol, for most it's a pleasurable tonic. But there is no excuse for tobacco. Go and buy a pack of 20 and the Fed whores are around the back taking their cut. If we can give corn farmers billions to grow chaff, surely we can replace the Virginia farmers' crops with something less deadly. BTW. I smoke.
                    Long Road
                    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                    Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

Scary stuff.
                      I watched a program about drinking in one of Russia's big industrial towns and it was as if the town had been infected with the plague. They just kept dying.

Comment

Vodka deaths in Russia

Yep - tragic, especially the fact that people turn to bootleg vodka or industrial cleaners because they can't afford the real stuff. I heard about a Russian guy who didn't just have cirrhosis, his liver was in pieces.

As a ex heavy vodka drinker myself I used to crave my windscreen wash whenever I sprayed it whilst driving - quite sad.

CS - didn't know you majored in Russian. I spent around 3 years learning the language, I'm only an intermediate speaker - well to be honest I'm probably a little rusty now. :H

Oh, I've just realised I've still got a knitted mouldy green cupcake as my avatar!!!
                        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Working...
                        X