Cracked: Putting Broken Lives Together Again, by Drew Pinsky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We define ourselves by the way we relate to other people. We get deep, lasting, and meaningful satisfaction from giving selflessly to, and being present with, others ...

My patients can't do that. They're struggling with the effects of trauma suffered early in life when they were still developing the brain mechanisms that allow them to relate to other people and the world in general. Unable to trust, they grow up without a sense of self. They're overwhelmed by feelings, unable to cope, always out of control. Their brains tell them to manage the pain by getting loaded. Then, when they find their way to us, we ask them to go back and experience that powerlessness, the very thing that sent them off the rails in the first place. No wonder they resist."

-- from Cracked

I?m assiduously reading this Drew Pinsky book ? great book! He addresses the biology, and the meso-limbic control centers. The psychological phenomena of ?dissociation? figures prominently ? a big struggle of mine. AL helps me mange this.

Finally, he explains what ?treatment? is, or how it is intended to work: to get childhood trauma victims who don?t trust anyone, and therefore don?t have relationships, to begin to trust ? and then connect ? with others, in order to get reflective mirroring to learn to manage emotions effectively.

It really describes my core issues and struggles. The hardest thing is managing powerful emotions without AL!
    Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

I will read the book. It sounds interesting.

Unfortunately, I had no childhood trauma that I can ever recall. Loving parents, sweet brothers who spent a lot of time with me.

In my case, I just always felt different. I don't know why. It almost makes my guilt feel worse. What made me act out and be bad when I had it so good?

Thanks for the information. I shall look on Amazon today and order it.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I'll be curious what you all think. To me, am not sure everyone who is an alcoholic had a trauma in childhood? or has sever relationship issues ... dunno

Having said that, Drew Pinksy shares his childhood trauma: his mom was taken to the hospital in an ambulance after a miscarriage pregnancy, and didn't come back for a few days, when he was at a tender age. It has stuck with him. He is glad he does not have a biology that responds to alcohol, lest he go down that road.

My point being: the trauma or "hole in the soul" can be a simple one-time event, Cinders. Or else from a string of ongoing events, too (like me and Ones).

BTW, Dr. Drew is the the host of "Celebrity Rehab". I'm still impressed with his integrity and knowledge ... even though lately he has been doing this reality TV schtick... which might seem like he's not the real deal -- But he's definitely the real deal. Good man.
      Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Hi Puddy,

Just got the book from the library and read a few chapters. Having read lots on AL, I am glad this book addresses the issues of trauma and lack of ability to form satisfying relationships and nurturing.
        While it may not be the case for everyone, the void created in early years does tend to manifest itself later in life.
        I found myself very much in every book on Adult Childern of Alcoholics - feeling different, not trusting, fearing abandoment, isolation, and the underlying theme - I do not need anybody!
        If you come from a negligent family, you quickly learn that your needs do not count, and, in fact, having needs is pathological. Thus, no one will be there for you. This is what we carry into adulthood.
        Thanks for recommending this read.
        "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
        X