Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool!

Hi All,
    I've been surfing this website for the past few days and am really finding it interesting. I'm starting my 4th day without a drink. The urge to have a drink is not as bad as I thought it might be, but the effects of not not having a drink is. I guess I'm having somewhat mild DT's? Intermitant shakes, sweats and kind of a dull feeling. I'm managing to get through work OK and all, I guess as well as I was hungover. Just have to see how it goes!!! Was thinking of making an appointment with my doctor, but I see that many are doing it on their own with or without meds. That makes it even more interesting to me. Thanks! Will
    P.S. I posted part of this in the getting started area and just now saw the Guy's Group, Best of Luck to all!

Cool!

Hiya Will, always nice to have another chap around, think it might be a good idea though to still see your doc..I was told when i came of drink that it would be too dangerous for me to stop dead, and without any meds...I had to reduce my alcahol intake slowly over a few weeks...whether my doctor was wrong i dont know but it does'nt sound good with you getting the D.T.s....have you been halucinanting....(sorry i spell like a 3 year old sometimes )...not trying to scare you just think it might be a good idea still to see the doc......Anyway it will be good to have you around....Keep posting and reading....Mackeral
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Cool!

Hey Will, and welcome!

I agree with Macks -- depending on how much you were drinking before you quit, it could be dangerous to quit cold turkey without a doctor's supervision. (Although I would think the worst of it would be over by the 4th day? not sure)

And yes the program itself can be done without prescription medication, although I think most of us are taking one medication or another. One of the best things about the program is you can customize it to your needs.... be sure to read the book & you'll get the picture.

Stick around, this is a good place to be.

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Cool!

Hey Mack & Mike,
        Sorry about taking so long to get back, was a holiday weekend here in the U.S. and had family in town. I'll definately check with my doc before I start any meds. I wasn't having any hallucinations, just felt crummy, tired and such. I did 5+ days without any alcohol, then went to a NASCAR race near my home here in CA. I actually feel like I did pretty good, probably only had a case of beer over the 3 days off. That's a small amount for me over that time period! Thanks for the welcome and input. Talk to you soon, Will

Comment

Cool!

Hey Will --

Sounds like you weren't having any serious DT's --

Glad you're doing OK and that you're still on the Board with us. Talk to you soon!

Mike
          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Cool!

Will:

I just now found this part of the forum. I just joined yesterday, and posted a bit in the starting out section. I realized that the forum is mostly women, and I wondered if I would be out of place here.

Then I saw this section, and thought, if they have a place especially for men, then they must be welcome.

Anyway, I posted a few suggestions over there about some supplements I've been taking for nine months now. I have chosen to completely stop drinking (and smoking), and been that way for the same period of time. I drank heavily for almost 35 years, and started when I was 16.

My nerves are still getting used to not being pickled, but it seems to come in short spurts that get further and further apart. I call them shakes the "heebie-jeebies". I found that detoxing my system with big doses of fiber and bentonite liquid helped me a lot in the early days. Also big doses of valerian root and kava-kava capsules, along with l-theanine capsules would stop my tremors pretty quickly. Lifting free weights till I couldn't do another rep also helped me for about 24 hours or so. Been riding a bicycle with a pulse watch also, and that evens it out for about 24 hours as well for me. I've lost ten pounds of fat, and gained ten pounds of muscle in the process. Slow but steady.

Comment

Cool!

Great to see more guys here.
              Hope y'all have a good weekend.
              Phil
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Cool!

Hiya xtexan, pleased to meet you....I think your gonna be a great asset around here...You got a lot of exsperiance..
                Speak soon....Take care ....Macks
                I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Working...
                X