A Positive Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Positive Story

I have been reading through some of your stories, and I am struggling with an alcoholic partner, but I do have a story for you all. Apart from my partner, I have never had direct experience with alcoholics in my family, no-one (that I know of anyway!) has had alcohol problems. Except for one friend of mine...

My friend had an alcoholic husband. They had one 3 year old child. His drinking was so bad, he pee'd the bed, regularly, was abusive etc. He was a school teacher, and their marriage was awful. So, she was "pushed" into the arms of another man.

They divorced. But the day she left, was the last time her husband had a drink. He went to AA. He became an excellent father to his child, regular access, and lots of fun things they did together. They had to sell the family home and both were able to buy smaller, two bedroomed homes two streets apart, so contact was good. They have been separated for about five years. I know she still loved him, and it was obvious he loved her.

About eight months ago, my friend came to see me, as we hadn't seen each other a while. She walked in, and I was shocked to see she was about five months pregnant. By her ex-husband! I cried when she left. They now live together again, with their TWO children, and although I'm sure they have bad days, they were obviously meant to be together.

This is an absolutely true story, and I thought some of you may find it helpful.

A Positive Story

Tryphena, thank you for sharing that. Its wonderful to read a story with such a happy ending.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

A Positive Story

That's so beautiful !!!
      It also shows that there is hope for a happy life on the other side of ALCOHOLISM !!!
      There are so many people HERE that are living proof that it's very possible to recover and go on to live a life filled with JOY !!!

It's wonderful that you are still OPEN to that !!! I wish you ALL the BEST !!!
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

A Positive Story

As Evie so rightly said that IS a beautiful story!

That's really brightened up my day thanks Try.

Peace and Love
        Phil
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

A Positive Story

Very nice!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

A Positive Story

I'm glad you liked it! They are lovely and both deserve to be happy for all the hard work they've done to get through it.

She recognized my partner had problems over a year ago.... I've asked for their help and they are giving it xxx

Comment

A Positive Story

a great story Tryphena and they will be a good support for you.

Comment

A Positive Story

Tryphena;653277 wrote: I'm glad you liked it! They are lovely and both deserve to be happy for all the hard work they've done to get through it.

She recognized my partner had problems over a year ago.... I've asked for their help and they are giving it xxx
                Try I'm so made up that you've got that kind of support, from a couple who have obviously been through many hardships through alcoholism. I think that guy could be a very good role model for your husband. I too live my life by spiritual principles through the AA fellowship and my only regret is that I didn't embrace it sooner.

I also say this from the heart because I would not be showing you the support you deserve if I didn't. Yes, get the support but try not to compare your situation in anyway or have expectations of what will be. Sometimes things may not turn out the way we want them to and you have be open to ALL possibilities at the moment for your own peace of mind.

Peace and Love
                Phil
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

A Positive Story

I have no expectations, and I promise not to compare our situation with theirs. For a start, he faced losing his son... my children are mine, and not my partners'. So straight away there was much more to lose. It's just nice to know that it works out for some xxx

Comment

A Positive Story

Yes, Tryphena it is good to hear that sometimes it can work out for the best after all the struggles ... and good luck to you and your partner too ...
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
                    X