Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please, Topamax or Baclofen to start the program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everybody! I'm new here and am looking for some advice on whether to start off with Topamax or Baclofen. I've read the MWO book and have supps and hypno CD's on order. I have a Dr. appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning to "fess" up and get a prescription. I have been lurking around here for a few days. At first I was certain I was going to try topamax but after reading more I am wondering if Baclofen would be better to try?

How do you decide and which seems to be working the best for everybody?

Here's my history. I am a daily drinker starting in late afternoon and drinking right up til I go to bed. Usually beer but sometimes wine or a combo. A normal night is anywhere from 9-12 beers and sometimes more - rarely less. I have been doing this to some degree or another for almost 20 years. I am a stay-at-home Mom with two young kids and always thought I would quit when I had a family (I did quit, grudgingly, through two pregnancies and thought each time that would be the end but as soon as I could I went back to drinking - Why, Why, Why!!). But I haven't been able to quit or cut down and I must do something to protect my marriage and spare my kids. My husband has been very tolerant but I know he is sick of living with someone he can't talk to without me forgetting what he says and someone who is basically "checked out" of life every evening.

I believe that a good part of my drinking is driven by depression and anxiety, both of which I have been treated for in the past with success but have not stopped the drinking. It is because of this that I am starting to wonder if Baclofen might be a better choice starting out?

I am grateful for any suggestions or comments - Thanks!

Baclofen would defiantly be my first choice. It has few (none that I noticed) side effects as Topa has MANY !!!
    Baclofen mellowed me out so that's another great side effect !!!
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi Birdy and welcome. I'm not sure which meds are best, but topamax may be difficult to get on prescription, as it is licensed for epilepsy. My dr. gave me campral to take away the craving. I also see a counsellor and attend AA., which are all helping me. MWO is great, you will get lots of help and support. Best of luck, you have already taken the first step by admitting you have a problem.

Comment

birdy02;655990 wrote:
        Here's my history. I am a daily drinker starting in late afternoon and drinking right up til I go to bed. Usually beer but sometimes wine or a combo. A normal night is anywhere from 9-12 beers and sometimes more - rarely less. I have been doing this to some degree or another for almost 20 years. I am a stay-at-home Mom with two young kids and always thought I would quit when I had a family (I did quit, grudgingly, through two pregnancies and thought each time that would be the end but as soon as I could I went back to drinking - Why, Why, Why!!). But I haven't been able to quit or cut down and I must do something to protect my marriage and spare my kids. My husband has been very tolerant but I know he is sick of living with someone he can't talk to without me forgetting what he says and someone who is basically "checked out" of life every evening.
        Welcome Birdy!

I read the above quote and well, crap, I thought it was me, except I have three children! I know what you mean and how you feel. It is very difficult to be a stay at home mom....VERY. Many think it's simple, but not so much......

I tried Topa but it didn't work for me, but it works for many. Baclofen works for many as well. I am doing the Sinclair Methos and taking Naltrexone. I am only on week 6 and it is a slow process. If this method doesn't work I will definately be taking the Baclofen route.

Good luck and I wish you the very best. You can PM me any time.

Christy
        AF July 6 2014

Comment

My god, am you! Sahm of 3 & 5 yo. I'm 37. Don't know who this crazy chick is.
          I'll cut to the chase. Nal/campral gave me 2 blissful weeks of total indifference. I was amazed. But when it came back it came back with a vengance. trying sinclair but tolerant hubby has limits. Im scared to death of the baclofen, too scared of Dr not prescribing, but Sinclair I haven't time for. Wish i did. I need to stop drinking now. So, after 2 months, gonna start baclofen (tolerant hubby has a stockpile) despite my fears. I need to get my shit together, no matter what the cost. Please, keep me posted. I'm scared to do this son

Comment

Working...
          X