Modding and Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modding and Family

So I did my 30 days AF, during which I thought alot about why i was drinking (coping with problems). I have determined much better ways to deal with things, and actually think I have broken that cycle. Now when I have a problem, a beer isn't my first thought, isn't really a thought anymore. Having done the 30 days AF, I thought I would try modding and bought 1 beer. My wife freaked out that I was going to end up back where I was before. She thinks I can't stop, won't stop, and will be drinking all the time again. I have tried to explain the program to her, and the fact that I am not going back to having a case of beer in thr fridge at all times. She thinks AA is the only way, and that modding is impossible in general and in particular for me.

Has anyone else had a situation like this when they began modding? I obviously think I can do it, and at least want to try.

Modding and Family

Zodiac, i havent let anyone know when i drink. They have seen years and years of bad behavior and 30 days AF is not enough to change anyone's mind. i think it is a really slippery slope for families because they dont know what you're thinking. they hear from AA that once a drunk always a drunk. we terrorize our families when we are drinking and im not sure how we can help them get over that. maybe she needs more time to see you sober. have you thought about 60 days?

Comment

Modding and Family

Hey, Zodiac

I can't really give advice on this one (yet to be AF), just wanted to say good luck, and I hope normaility is restored eventually.

Tip
      I'll do whatever it takes
      AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Modding and Family

Hi Zodiac,

Congrats on achieving 30 days AF!!
        I think that maybe for your wife "seeing is believing". You'll have to prove to her, with your actions that you are serious about your sobriety.

Please feel free to come and join us on the Monthly Mod Squad thread for support.

Wishing you all the best on your journey.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Modding and Family

Zodiac,
          You can't blame them for not trusting you, right? I am assuming you were like me, drinking too much, acting sloppy or whatever, passing out, hiding bottles, not remembering things, passing out on the sofa. It will take a long time to get their trust back. It may also take you longer than you think to learn to drink moderately. We modders continue to have occasions that we drink more than we would like, though not like before. And some who try to drink moderately quickly do backslide to where they were before, so they finnally quit for good. So take it slow: what strategies do you plan to use to control your alcohol? If you don't have a plan, this may not work out for you. The MWO book makes it sound like modding happens magically, but that is not true at all.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Modding and Family

Hi there,
            I am exactly 31 days into this. My record is 5 days with AL, 26 days AF. 3 of 5 days of AL I overdid it. How am I doing? I don't really know. Not sure if this helps or not but at least its a frame of reference. One thing I really want to continue are complying with the following rules:
            - No drinking in anger or loneliness
            - No drinking in response to triggers
            - No unplanned drinking
            - I wish I could say limit it to 2 drinks but I am not doing it yet.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
            X