Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can topamax completely take away the cravings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I've realised that if I dont take topamax for one day then I have cravings. I am not sure if this is because I have only been on it for a week so I am still new or if I basically have to live on this until I can control my drinking.

I also figured out that once I start drinking, it does not stop the urge to continue to do so.

Just wanted some feedback from others who are on it. Thanks so much for the support.

Hoping to be finally free

Hi Finally Free....I would say WELCOME based on your number of posts, but you joined a long time before I did!

Couple of things that I have learned, I have been on Topa since the end of April:

1. I think Topa HELPS a lot with the cravings, but it doesn't take them away 100% by itself. I needed the hypno CD's, the kudzu, the L-Glutamine, and honestly I needed a great desire psychologically to do it too.

2. I do not recommend "drinking through" the Topa. I was moderating for the first 6 weeks on Topa while I titrated up to my current maintenance dose of 100 mgs per day. At that level, I was doing better, mostly having 1-2 drinks and only a couple days per week, but I still was making a really good mental effort to do so also, it wasn't just the pills I was taking.

3. One one occasion, I drank through everything, didn't have a good moderation plan in place, and I agree with you, the Topa and the other supplements didn't have any effect at all...I drank right through everything, and got my firs/last/only DUI of my life, and that was my personal LOW, the bottom of the barrel for me, heartbreakingly just when I thought I was finding a way to control my drinking and rid myself of the monkey on my back.

4. My DUI seemed to be my CLICK moment. Since then I have been 100% AF, and although I have continued to do the MWO program in its entirety, it has been combined with a true emotional and psychological COMMITMENT to being alcohol-free that I have never had before. Being a non-drinker is my identity now, and something I have come to be at peace with. I know that I may not be perfect with this identity for the rest of my life, but it is what I orient myself around for today and how I plan for tomorrow.

Have you done your minimum 30 days AF yet as the MWO program recommends? What dosage have you titrated up to? Are you taking any of the other supplements too?

Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
    X