Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical vs Psychological Cravings

Hello all,

I have just started taking Baclofen (its been 3 days and am only up to 25mg a day). But I have been reading a lot on these threads about physical v. psych cravings.

For me, a craving has always been a craving (and very rarely can I resist them). So what is the difference between the two?

Thanks,

Zman

Zman, I look at physical cravings as you become very ill if you can not/do not drink. Siezures, vomitting , tremors and such. With mental cravings it's just that. My mind really wants a drink but my body is not going to crash if I choose not to do so.

Comment

I'm a little more in Zenstyle's line of thinking. Although for me, physical also means the onstart of what I interpret to be a physical need (like I'm trembling or nervous)-- and then I drink to nip it in the bud, so to speak. However, those perceived physical needs could also be a psychological craving-- as in an excuse to drink. Perhaps I'm trembling because I haven't eaten anything all day (as often happens) -- I could try eating something first and see if that reduces the shaking (that has worked before). However, I think what most people mean by psychological cravings is when something in your life or situation causes you to seek relief or escape through alcohol.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

The physical craving is more the active withdrawal symptoms that comes when the neurotransmitors in your body are needing the substance to function normaly.

The psychological craving is more based on obsessive thoughts. I think that as we start to understand brain physiology and the complexities of the mind, the more there will be an understanding that thoughts as well hold a physical, or neurological conponent. Every thought has its own pathway that is part electrical and part chemical.

One of the problems of addiction is that these pathways are so deeply entrenched, like a motor freeway, that it becomes impossible at times to take the alternative route.

Comment

Thanks Zennie, I will read the thread through.

Veritas, very interesting thoughts. I think Time magazine did a big article on this idea (exploring emotions and neurology) around 2 years ago. I'll do a search and get back later.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

btw, I would drink all day if I could (and sometimes I do) but I often have to drive in the afternoon and/or evening, and so I hold off until after the driving is over, which can be pretty late. This is really tough for me in terms of cravings and I've only found one thing that helps me get through those times (which is pretty much every day):

True Calm combined with GABA -- preferably on an empty stomach and must be taken with vitamin B and vitamin C. This has a calming effect without a sleepy effect... in fact, it is sort of a stimulant at the same time as a calmer (all this applies just to me, of course).

Here's what I do:

I take 2 True calm + 100mg extra GABA (there is 200mg GABA in each True Calm capsule, so this = total 500mg GABA)
            +500mg Vitamin C
            + A regular multi-B vit (I'm not sure the B is necessary if you take True Calm, which has a lot of B6 in it already).

If I don't feel a little "buzz" within a half hour, I'll take another 100mg GABA, and keep this up until I get the effect. While I don't like the "buzz" effect, it signals to me that it is working and it only lasts at most a half-hour and after that I can expect about 2 hours, or more, of diminished or no cravings.

I used to take 2 True Calm and 400mg GABA right away, but I often found the buzz was too much (my face felt flushed and my skin stung). Some people need more to get the effect, some people need less. If you just take GABA (no True Calm) and buy it from this site, it comes in 750mg per capsule.

Sorry this is so long-winded-- but I hope it helps anyone with strong cravings, especially when they HAVE to resist them.

Comment

Thanks Beatle. Very interesting. Hope you get your baclofen soon!

Comment

Yeah, boy am I ever looking forward to it!... then maybe I can cut out some of my 200 or so supplements I take to relieve cravings and try to make up for the imbalance I cause my body with alcohol.

Comment

I was just looking at the True Calm ingredients a little closer and realized that the burning sensation is probably coming from the niacin in the True Calm (45mg per cap). When I take 2 caps, I am getting 90mg niacin -- which is a lot at one time (actually, it's good for you, and the flushing is a result of the niacin opening your capillaries, so it nothing to be scared of, just something to be aware of). I am going to try to go back down to 1 True Calm and up my extra GABA.

Hopefully this will all become irrelevant to me in a few days, though.!

Comment

Working...
                  X