Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

We were recently helping someone who was just starting out on the Baclofen healing journey. They were very excited by the results they had started to get.
    They were still drinking at the time and I think that is not unusual but, (quite common) in the early days.
    My caution comes in the dosing of it while still drinking.
    As alcoholics (at least for me) if 1 is good then 10 is better !!!
    In the early days it would be wise to find a way to make sure that you are keeping accurate track of the amount you are taking and when you are taking it so you do not accidentally over dose !!! Baclofen is a long tested and well tolerated medication BUT better to be safe than sorry.
    I think this is an important point that NEEDS to be made !!!
    A great suggestion was made by Louise. She suggested that you simply cut the amount needed for that day from the blister sheet and then take as planned. That seems to me to be a very sound practical way to do it.

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Thanks Evie, I'm sure this will be valuable advice to many.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Good advice Evie.

I like the concept, "if one is good, 10 is better" It so describes our mind set. I think it was Bill who pointed out in one of his posts that more is not nessecarily better, as it is possibly poorly absorbed.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Can you take campral while drinking in hopes of reducing the cravings? I am hoping to cut down slowly so as to avoid some serious withdrawal. Is that a good plan or is it dangerous?
        I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Evie.Lou's warning is founded in the prescribing instructions which say "... effects of baclofen may be additive to those of alcohol and other CNS depressants." However, I think a better way to think of baclofen is "alcohol replacement therapy" -- all the benefits and none of the poison -- and use it preemptively against a binge in response to craving as Ameisen teaches. Specifically, take an extra dose if you feel a craving for alcohol, and white-knuckle it for an hour. The craving should pass by then.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Bernard, Welcome. I don't think we have met ?
            How brilliant........ I love you already !!!
            A man who actually READS instructions ....A treasure to behold !!!!!!!!!!.....LOL
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Hey sosad,
              I started campral my first AF day, and got through the day and the next 8 days AF until I decided to take a holiday. The day I drank I had taken 4, and I felt so DRUNK like I hadn't for so long, it was aweful. I also had my first hangover in years, and it stunk.
              Basically I agree with Zen - don't take while drinking, start on your first AF day. Can't imagine combining the two on a regular basis, yuck the headaches would overcome me.
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
              AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Tulipe, I agree. I have written of my experience on my baclofen thread, but I honestly thought that I was going to die. Never, ever, ever have I felt so afraid about being drunk.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

Originally posted by Veritas on her thread. I think it is so important that people read this.

I am going to start this with a baclofen warning

Firstly, before I say a word, I am still on my baclofen and extremely grateful to have it at hand. I can never drink on baclofen, I might die

I finished work rather late on Tuesday night. I was rather tired and keen to go to bed. Much to my surprise, a couple of my collegues were still at work having their after work wine. I did not plan it, it was just mindless, but I decided to join them. I had taken my last dose of 10mg 4 hours previously.

I am not sure how much I had to drink, maybe about 3 glasses of wine, but suddenly I started vomiting uncontrolably. I had to be taken home. I felt as though I had been drinking a whole bottle of whiskey. I could not walk straight and really wanted to die... it seemed the better option.

My daughter was very worried and brought a bucket to my bedroom in case I could not make it to the loo. She also opened my bedroom windows to take away the smell of vomit. I was retching for ages, long after my stomach contents were clear.

I then found that I could not move. It was freezing, its midwinter here, but I was absolutely paralysed. It took about 2 hours before I could stand and get back into bed. I could not work on wednesday and felt drunk and nauseaus for the whole day.

I have no doubt that had I not vomited, I could have died. It was as if I had no capacity to metabolise the alcohol. I have never, even in my most drunken moments, felt so afraid and so sick.

I have looked at the warnings on the package and it does not seem that this is usual, but I do want to warn people, please, please be careful.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

louise;667050 wrote: Originally posted by Veritas on her thread. I think it is so important that people read this.

I am going to start this with a baclofen warning

Firstly, before I say a word, I am still on my baclofen and extremely grateful to have it at hand. I can never drink on baclofen, I might die

I finished work rather late on Tuesday night. I was rather tired and keen to go to bed. Much to my surprise, a couple of my collegues were still at work having their after work wine. I did not plan it, it was just mindless, but I decided to join them. I had taken my last dose of 10mg 4 hours previously.

I am not sure how much I had to drink, maybe about 3 glasses of wine, but suddenly I started vomiting uncontrolably. I had to be taken home. I felt as though I had been drinking a whole bottle of whiskey. I could not walk straight and really wanted to die... it seemed the better option.

My daughter was very worried and brought a bucket to my bedroom in case I could not make it to the loo. She also opened my bedroom windows to take away the smell of vomit. I was retching for ages, long after my stomach contents were clear.

I then found that I could not move. It was freezing, its midwinter here, but I was absolutely paralysed. It took about 2 hours before I could stand and get back into bed. I could not work on wednesday and felt drunk and nauseaus for the whole day.

I have no doubt that had I not vomited, I could have died. It was as if I had no capacity to metabolise the alcohol. I have never, even in my most drunken moments, felt so afraid and so sick.

I have looked at the warnings on the package and it does not seem that this is usual, but I do want to warn people, please, please be careful.
                    thank you for sharing that with us Louise.
                    I want people to realize we ARE dealing with a RX med here and while it is long used and well tested, it hasn't been well tested for alcoholism..at least that I am aware f.
                    We are walking on virgin ground here and it is best to watch were you are stepping.
                    That's why I started this thread.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

As Evie alluded to, and as RJ points out, no one here can (or SHOULD) give medical advice concerning RX meds. It is a federal crime in most instances to share any RX medication. THERE IS A REASON!!!! We often don't know what this stuff will do to us, especially since every person is different. And each person's reaction may change with any dose. I just hope we don't, in our hunger to lose our craving for alcohol and all its heartaches, trade them in for something else seriously dangerous. This is not aspirin, people. PLEASE, know what you are putting in your bodies.
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

I have been drinking a fair amount on the Bac, and the only effect is that I have a little less cravings, which means I drink a little less than normally (but I am still on 3x5 mg per day, so it is early days indeed). I also sleep much better on Bac at just 15mg per day.

Incidentally, it is now my 4th day and it is 9:10pm, and I have had just one drink, which is very little for me (the drink lasted from 7:30 to 9:10!). I will probably have one or at most two drinks before I go to sleep -- this is about half of my usual, lately, and about 5 drinks less than usual before I started the Bac.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

beatle;667067 wrote: I have been drinking a fair amount on the Bac, and the only effect is that I have a little less cravings, which means I drink a little less than normally (but I am still on 3x5 mg per day, so it is early days indeed). I also sleep much better on Bac at just 15mg per day.

Incidentally, it is now my 4th day and it is 9:10pm, and I have had just one drink, which is very little for me (the drink lasted from 7:30 to 9:10!). I will probably have one or at most two drinks before I go to sleep -- this is about half of my usual. lately, and about 5 drinks less than usual before I started the Bac.
                          Good....VERY GOOD !!!

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

rubywillow;667062 wrote: As Evie alluded to, and as RJ points out, no one here can (or SHOULD) give medical advice concerning RX meds. It is a federal crime in most instances to share any RX medication. THERE IS A REASON!!!! We often don't know what this stuff will do to us, especially since every person is different. And each person's reaction may change with any dose. I just hope we don't, in our hunger to lose our craving for alcohol and all its heartaches, trade them in for something else seriously dangerous. This is not aspirin, people. PLEASE, know what you are putting in your bodies.
                            Ruby, I really don't think the doctors know any more than we do about this treatment, and in most cases far less. This is new territory and most doctors know nothing about it and so are in no position to give advice on it. Maybe if they did a lot of research on it (like most of us taking Bac have done), they might be better able to guide us. But I don't think most of them are open-minded enough to do that, and most can't be bothered.

That said, we should, of course be cautious.

Comment

Baclofen...A Warning!!!

my situation is similar to beatles.. im still drinking to. i feel similar to you with the effects of the baclofen beatle,drinking less as i go up, cravings less to. it feels weird to stay home on a fri night and not be ancy that others are out bars..(im not drinking tonight) def is helping! im on 50mg. i worry somewhat to about the drinking on it or possbly getting to drunk. actually that happened when i was on like 30mg a day and i too threw up. which i never do. drank alot tht night.

Comment

Working...
                              X