Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of an update

Hi everyone,

You people were so supportive to me a couple of weeks ago and I am very appreciative. So I thought I'd update how things are at the moment.

Where are we.... Day 14. Right, I'll go back to the beginning!

After our major row, and him telling me he was an alcoholic, we had 6 days drink free. He had nothing, no secret drinking, and I would know! He was incredibly grumpy. But I didn't make an issue out of anything, just let him do what he wanted without interference from me. On the sixth day, we were out in the car (I drive, he has a 3 year ban...) and he started talking about going to the pub for a pint after work... just the one. I was not happy, said I had made my position clear, and that I didn't think it was a good idea. But I stuck to what I had said, that he had a right to drink, but equally I had a right not to live with it.

I came on here, and browsed, and found the moderation threads. So I gave it a lot of thought and had said I would be prepared to discuss moderation. But I had three rules.

1) This is an alcohol free house. Period. No negotiation.
    2) He must avoid red wine. I don't know why, but that is the worst for him. And he is only to drink white wine if we go for a meal, as that is a situation we can limit the amount easily, whereas at a party, BBQ or someting, wine is much more free flowing and more difficult to keep a track of.
    3) If he does go for "a pint" after work, and feels he has had too much, he must stay at his friends' overnight. I explained I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd rather that than him come home drunk.

He agreed to all of the above. So on day 7, he went for one pint after work and I picked him up from the pub. All ok.

Day 8... I picked him up and could tell straight away he'd had more than a pint. I challenged, gently, and was told he was in control of the drink. I guessed he'd had 2 or 3. But I didn't mention it again until following morning. I said to him if he had more than one, then he couldn't self-moderate, the drink had controlled him, not vice versa. Amazingly, he agreed.

Day 9.... 4 bottles of beer. 0.0% Coors beer! At first he said it tasted odd - then he looked at the ingredients, and I tried it, and said I could actually taste the hops, which sometimes is lost in strong beers. Being a health freak (I know, so why the alcohol abuse?) he was impressed and enjoyed them. He says it's habit, drinking, and he needs to find other things to do to break the habits... so this is a good substitute for the moment.

Day 10, he went out with his friend, whom he only sees once a fortnight. I feared the worst, thought he'd either come home drunk or stay at his friends. But to my surprise, he wasn't as bad as I thought! He was lucid, and happy. In the morning we had a chat, and he said for each pint he drank, he asked for a glass of water, and his friend drank two to his one. He normally would've kept up, but he wanted to come home and knew he couldn't if drunk.

Day 11... Coors 0.0%!

Day 12... nothing until 7pm, when he walked down the road to our local country pub, had a pint and was back within half an hour.

Day 13... as above

Day 14... Coors again.

In two weeks, he has drunk less than he did in a normal day before. He is feeling better, looking better, and we haven't argued, no fights, and Saturday night (Day 12), instead of walking on eggshells, my daughter and I were laughing with him all evening. He says he is happier, more in control, feels healthier and one thing that really got him thinking.... when he was in the pub for half hour Day 13 he noticed how drunk everyone else was! He said it's awful to see. And so he didn't go yesterday.

For us, moderation is working, but I have to make sure I don't veer from the house rules... that is where I need your support! In my car I have a large (1litre) bottle of Whisky that I won in a raffle on Friday (son's cricket club)... I've given it away, I just need to drop it off later. Before, I would've given it to my partner!

I am aware I have enabled him to drink to excess, and that is now over.

So what do you all think? I have not been to Al-anon yet, because I don't want him to think I have no faith in him/us... and the meetings are on a Monday evening which is awkward. If there was one during the day I would definitely go. But if I feel the need I'll go regardless... I'm just not deceitful and can't do it behind his back.

A bit of an update

That's great Tryp

Comment

A bit of an update

I think you have the patience of a saint and I wish you well !!!
      Moderation works for some people, sometimes ??

But...for me (once a pickle, never a cucumber again).
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

A bit of an update

Hi Tryph
        All I can say is again I would encourage you to go to Al Anon for you and your children and learn about this awful disease and what it can do to you and your family. You are very much in there with him watching and counting. What u have to understand is that he will drink because he is alcoholic not because of you or anyone else. No matter what u do u will not change that fact, not with guilt, shouting , screaming, cajoling, threatening. You have to realise that you are powerless over his drinking and no amount of watching him will make a difference. You did not cause this and you cannot control it. Your life has become unmanagable..... Al Anon will help you to redirect the energy u have spent on fighting the disease into recovering from its effects, and maybe in that process he will find his own way. By the way what is wrong with saying to him that u have to go to Al Anon for support surely it can only make him look at his alcoholism. It is important to remember that acoholism is a disease of denial for the alcoholic and his family. Good Luck:l

Comment

A bit of an update

Tryphena - i have read bits and pieces of your story on this forum and you seem like an incredibly strong woman. i am a new member and i havent really posted that much, but i just wanted to put in a note here... i am a wife of an alcoholic, who is a kind loving generous witty funny amazing smart man... when he is sober. I have been with him for 7 years, of which 3 we have been married, we do not have children... my story is a long one, and i dont want to get into it here...

my man tried modding on his own, we set up his rules and we had a psychologist who helped us a little. unfortunately for us, it didnt work for him, though he managed for quite some time reasonably well as i ended up marrying him! i do not want to discourage you - modding works for some people, otherwise there wouldnt be so much talk about it, would there? i just want to say that it is not for everyone... and sometimes, it can take time to for both of you to see that.

there were two things that really prompted me to write to you -

One was the way you noted his actions every day... i did that. i hate to admit it, i still catch myself doing it at times. its a hard way to live your life and hopefully you can do it, but i could only do it for so long as eventually, it completely took over my life... i ended up telling him to call me from his office land line so i would know he was at work and not at the bar, i would tell him im coming home later than i really was, just so i could see if he was drinking or not, i searched the entire house when i got home from anywhere and he was left alone at home... i could go on and on.... i hate to say this to you - but manage your expectations, please and try not to get your hopes up too high. be very realistic and grounded and smart. if things go well, GREAT! if things dont, then it wont crush you quite as much.

Two - the mention of al-anon - i went for some time and it was very helpful and eye-opening. but i want to say is going to the meetings has nothing to do with your faith in your relationship and you should make him understand that. the meetings are for YOU - and your well-being. i work and i also had to go to the evening meetings and didnt hide it from my husband. he was sad and looked a little pathetic when i told him i was going... but i explained to him why i wanted to go and why it helped me without getting into all the details. you have also had a hard time, you could use a little help is all.

i dont know if this message will be received well, but i was very compelled to write it.

wishing everyone on this forum the best of luck -

hopeful

Comment

A bit of an update

Hi Tryphena, I am new to this site, and my husbands drinking became uncontrolable about 10 years ago. I only realised he was an alcoholic about 5 years ago. We have 4 children and have been married for 17 years, but separated and got back together last year. My sister has always told me I am weak for putting up with it for so long, but I entirely disagree, I have had to be inhumanly strong to stay and look after our children, without losing my mind. When I finally left him, it was the best thing I have ever done, and as usual, wondered why I didn't do it sooner! We were so much better off and after several months apart, he finally decided he wanted his family back, and got on the wagon.
            Sorry to bore you, but my point is (and I too am sorry if this is not what you want to hear) but I honestly do not believe in moderation (but hat off to you for trying). It WILL drive you crazy, if he truly is an alcoholic, the disease is in his brain, and he will only be logical for a short while before the disease takes him over again. Abstinence is the only way, believe me, I have dealt with this for so many years, trying to convince myself it really was ok for him to drink SOMETIMES. It wasn't.

So I will finish now, but I congratulate you for really trying as hard as you are, doing something is better than doing nothing.
            24 hours at a time, each day is an achievement...

Comment

Working...
            X