hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi

I posted a message yesterday, after reading all the stories and support answers, but no one has replied to me, I'm not very computor literate, so maybe I have done something wrong. I'm very worried as although I don't and never have drunk during the day, since my menopause, have been drinking to sleep, and obviousely need more and more now to knock me out, the hangovers are horendous, and as I suffer from anxiety and depression, and have researched that this is not helping the way I feel. But I have to sleep, if I don't drink, I sleep for a couple of hours and then I am awake most of the night.
    Does anyone else have this problem, please help.:new:

hi

Robyn,

:welcome:

I am so sorry you were bypassed yesterday. It happens occasionally when the boards are really busy and people's posts get shuffled down to the bottle of the stack.

The lack of sleep is such a problem for us drinkers. There are many ways to deal with it but, in general, if you don't get a prescription med, at the beginning of abstinence, sleep can be very elusive.

I do believe it is one of the main things that causes people to give up in the early days.

However, over time it does get better and better. At the same time, Melatonin and other herbal remedies can be a huge help. And, you get the bonus of being able to sleep a real night's sleep. It is amazing how refreshed I am these days.

I hope others jump in and answer your questions, too. I am sure they will.

BTW, my anxiety and depression have greatly been reduced by not drinking. The very substance I turned towards to alleviate those issues actually make them worse. Almost everyone here agrees with that, too.

Try to figure a plan. Perhaps download RJ's book and read it. It will give you something to do in the early sleepless nights.

You will find an abundance of caring and support here.

I hope you can find your way out.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

hi

Robyn, Welcome to MWO .....you are among Friends here and many of us can relate to how you are feeling. I am just thru menopause and quit drinking at the same time the symptoms were at there worse....Not easy but do~Able.
      Stay close to this site.read lots and I look forward to getting to know you.
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

hi

robyn, I saw your post and replied to it! You posted in the Newbies Nest. I made some suggestions to you about sleep aids. If you want to see it, go to the Newbies Nest and click on the arrow that takes you to the last page of postings. But actually, yours is on the next to the last page. Do you know what I am trying to say? Well, if not, just click this link for now and it will get you there:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...236-30074.html

You'll have to scroll down the page to find your post. I even added a comment to you on the next page of that thread.

WELCOME!!:welcome:
        Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

hi

Hi Robyn! I could write a book on sleep, but it is still sometimes elusive to me. Here's some things I've read about that work for me:

1) Humans evolved with shorter lifespans. Historically most humans never lived beyond age 50. Certainly the forces we put our bodies to now, including mental tasks like nightly news and paying the mortgage are new within just the last few generations. To engage sleep, you need to move your body back to the "cave man" or "cave woman" life. That means:

a) You need to exercise during the day. You need to hunt and gather and move your body so it is physically tired.

b) You need to work your mind out. You need to challenge your mind and overcome that challenge during the day. That means learning new things, taking classes, doing puzzles.

c) You need to worry less, and enjoy life more. Focus on developing a sense of inner peace and affirming thoughts.

2) Be sure to follow an evening ritual before bed. Keep your sleep cycles even by going to bed and rising at the same times every day of the week. Sleep in a cool dark room. Get warm, with a shower or bath, and then cool off for an hour and try to sleep cool. The hot-to-cold cycle helps sleep.

3) Learn some basic breathing and meditation techniques. Use these if you awaken at night. What you want to do is to breath and meditate, be like a zen monk in bed. This will bring your mind to peace. Here's some more detailed instructions on breathing: Breathing: Three Exercises - Dr. Weil

4) Watch some meditations on Youtube. Learn how to get to a special spot, to be aware of your surroundings and then spiral in on inner relaxation. If nothing else, you'll relax for a while. But for me, I generally fall back asleep in just a few minutes. Here's one Youtube video. Use the related content to find one that you like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xEGLueiLM[/video]]YouTube - Mindfulness Meditation Just listen to what the teacher says, and then at night if you wake up, simply review that knowledge in your mind.

My basic problem is always a racing mind and problem solving at night. After the initial sleep cycle, my brain would "get up and go" particularly if I woke up at 2am or so. I'm doing much better now at focusing on these techniques to keep my mind focused on sleep. Alcohol was always a poor sleep aid, since the after effects will wake you up and also give you anxiety and depression at night. Also, most sleep aids have "rebound" issues where they either fail to work after a time, or begin to interfere with sleep instead of helping it. Learning to sleep naturally is a reasonable challenge, and worthwhile research and study.

Comment

hi

Hi Robyn.

Comment

hi

Robyn, welcome
              Just to ease your mind, MWO is a wonderfull crowd and always responds to newcomers and their messages. You are never ignored, or alone here! It just could be that you posted on a different thread -- it takes time to learn how to navigate here. You will get there and enjoy this well- wishing community in no time!
              "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

hi

Hi Robyn and welcome :-)

My advice would be to see your GP and tell him/her about your alcohol/sleep/anxiety/depression..

THey can really help you..

Wavey
                What you perceive is what you believe, so make sure you look at things the right way....

Comment

hi

Hi, thank you all who have responded to me, with your help and lots of sleep advice, cinders can you tell me more abour melatonin. I have been addicted to sleeping pills in the past, and really don't want to go down that route again, which is one of the reasons I have been using alcohol to sleep. once again thank you, this really is a wonderful support site.

Comment

hi

Hi Robyn I just wanted to pop in and say welcome also, I am glad you found us here.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

hi

Hi, thanks so much, I will try the breathing techniques, my problem, like you is a racing mind and problem solving.

Comment

hi

hi, can you please tell me more about melatonin and any other sleep aids. my problem is a racing mind, if I try to sleep without alcohol, mulling round all my problems. I live alone now as all 3 of my daughters have flown the nest!!

Comment

hi

Robyn,

Melatonin is used by many, many members here. Being a traveler, I have used it off and on all my traveling days to get back to normal sleep while on the road.

In rehab, they gave us melatonin at 6 mg an hour before bedtime.

I found it doesn't overcome the first few days of restlessness. Only strong meds will do that but if you can get 5 or 6 days under your belt, Melatonin can be a great help.

I love it because it doesn't give you that next morning fuzzy-headed feeling that any of the sleep meds do, OTC or script.

It is also very inexpensive and can be purchased almost anywhere, grocery stores, health food stores, etc. Assuming you live in the US. If not, you will have to check your country's rules on it. I have heard some European countries do not allow it.

HTH,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

hi

Hi Robyn,

I also have insomnia, drinking or not. I think melatonin is great when you are alcohol-free, but it sounds like you need immediate help. My dr prescribed Trazadone for me -- I take 100 mg a night. It is not addictive (have taken Ambien in the past and never want to go there again!) and you can safely take anywhere from 50mg to 200mg. I don't have any lethargy the next day, unless I drink too much the night before! Hoping TSM will help me with that, though.

If you are desperate for relief tonight, try taking melatonin with Benadryl. The combo should help you sleep.

HTH.

Comment

hi

:welcome:hi robyn just thought i would say hi and welcome,:goodjob: for comming here

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X