Topa - Fiddling with Dosage and Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been taking Topomax at 50 mg for a couple of weeks now and had been really struggling with it. I love the effect of it ie not wanting to drink very much (one or two glasses max a night if at all) so I want to stick with it but hated the headachey, dopey feeling I had in the day so, one night I just decided to take the 50mg at bedtime (2 x 25mg) and not as 25mg at lunchtime and 25mg in the evening. I am finding this is working really great with the headaches and, although I am still a bit dopey, ie, having to retype misspellings! I don't feel as woozy. Now my question is, to all you old-timers, is, am I doing the right thing? Is this dangerous? I am quite happy to remain at 50mg if it's okay to take it in this manner. I am taking most of the supps, working on the exercise and thinking about the hypno.

Geez, this tkoo a wihle ot tpey

I titrated up very slowly with the topa just because my body is sensitive to meds. I stayed on 25 for 2 weeks then 50 for 4. I'm only just starting 75. The dopey feeling at 50 went away after week 3 for me.
    Ya, I was correcting a lot of my typing too. My doctor wasn't concerned at all about the topamax at the dosage I plan to take (75 - 100). I doubt I'll go over that, just because that's my body chemistry. If you're working with a doctor or psychiatrist then I wouldn't worry. I would imagine it's O.K. to take it at whatever time works for you until your body gets used to the effects.
    I didn't experience any headaches with it so I can't comment at all on that. But if I goof up and drink more than 2 glasses of wine, then I have a rip-roaring headache the next day.
    Good luck! Em

Comment

Thanks Em! Actually, that's my worry, I'm doing this alone. I ordered the Topa online. I am on no other meds whatsoever. I am a bit wary of things but am taking things step by step and am happier doing this than slamdunking a bottle or two of wine down a night. Surely this has got to be better? I find that, mentally, I am a bit "different" inasmuch as I feel a bit more hyper. I don't know if that's cos if I don't stay on the ball I will collapse into a peaceful slumber! Oh, I will just keep at it until things even out. I cut a 25 mg tab in half last night so in fact only had 37.5mg and feel even better today but we will see how that effects consumption tonight. The funny thing is, the Topa does not take away that excitement of that first glass of wine, or anticipation, rather, but it does take away the desire to drink and drink and drink. I get a really full feeling after about one and a half glasses and that feeling stays with me all night, even when I'm in bed trying to sleep but feel uncomfortably full. As I say, there has to be a happy medium and I'll see how it goes with the 37.5mg.

Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Ha! That was cool! I managed to move this thread! Thought it would be more appropriate here.

Comment

Annie, I know JUST what you mean! WOW, you put what I've been experiencing into words. Maybe this is the beauty of the topa. Beginning around 4:00, I think about how that chardonnay will taste on the palette - so delicious and refreshing. But after a glass and a half, I really don't want any more. I'm done.
          That's the magic of this stuff. It's such a blessing not to drink a whole bottle anymore. It doesn't take away the desire for that first glass but it does take away the need to carry it to excess and that's a lifesaver.
          I'm sorry you have to do the topa thing alone but it's much better than not doing it at all. I hope I helped you by letting you know my doc (a female, and as I said, conservative about meds) wasn't concerned at all about 75 to 100 mg. I wanted to jump in the air once I had her "permission". Topa has got to be so much better than all the alcohol on a daily basis. Just give your body time to adjust and listen to it.
          We're on the cutting edge of healing from drinking problems/alcoholism. This is all new. So, success to you! Em

Comment

Thanks Em. Can I let you know about my day yesterday and can you let me know if you have experienced similiar?

Well, I woke up in a foul mood. First of all, let me say, the night before I had one glass of wine, felt exhausted, went to bed around 8.30pm, slept right through the night, woke up in a foul mood. Bit everyone's head off. Felt like a demon. Had a really bad headache. Was looking at everyone thinking "what are you looking at" kind of thing. When I picked the kids up from school I TRIED to be jolly but it all ended up like a nightmare. They started squabbling, I started yelling at them like I had never yelled at them before (I seldom yell at my children, they really are little angels). They looked terrified. I felt like shit. I made it up to them (I hope) and all was well. Got them off to bed then..... it was hubby's turn. Fell out with him and ended up storming off to bed at 7.30pm. Slept right through the night again until 7am this morning and the first thing I did when I woke up was to scrunch up my packet of Topamax and put them in the bin.

No PMS was involved whatsoever. This was on it's own.

I have tried Topa on and off since March and always forget why I stop, then I start again and then I remember why I stopped.....leave it a while then start again and the cycle goes on. I thought if I get rid of them I can jump off this cycle and have to look at other ways to deal with the wine intake. I really, after all this, do not think Topa is for me. It is fantastic, as I have said, for stopping the over indulgence but the rest, I can't handle. I find my memory has gone and the headaches are still there in the background. It's just not for me I guess. I felt a bit like I was going mad. I didn't take anything at all last night (I couldn't spoil the stomping off scene by meekly coming back into the kitchen!) and find there is an underlying headache but my brain feels clearer and my eyes are clearer and although I still don't feel 100% I think if I don't take anything tonight I will be back to myself tomorrow.

I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm glad it's working for you Em, perhaps that's the beauty of going with a professional! You are so lucky you have found something that works! Take care.

Comment

Wow Annie!

You're really going through the wringer, aren't you! Sorry I can't help re the topa (I don't take it) but I very much hope that tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Hang in there.
              Tawny

Comment

I have been surfing around and found this list of most common side effects of taking Topamax

fatigue or drowsiness
                difficulty with concentration
                difficulty finding the right word (word retrieval)
                confusion
                dizziness
                unsteadiness
                a feeling of pins and needles, usually in the tips of the fingers and toes
                loss of appetite and weight loss
                nervousness
                depression
                difficulty with memory

A few people do experience psychiatric disorders when they take Topamax.

If you notice any of these problems, call the doctor's office. Sometimes the doctor can help by changing the amount of Topamax you take or how you take it. Don't stop taking Topamax or change the amount you take without the doctor's guidance.

The most common side effects with Topamax are fatigue and sleepiness. If you've just started taking Topamax or have just had your dosage increased, be careful about doing things that could be dangerous (like driving or operating machinery) until you know how it will affect you. Be especially cautious if you tend to be sensitive to medications.

Be sure to read about the serious side effects so you will be aware of a few serious problems that could arise when you take Topamax. These serious problems are very rare but everyone who takes this medicine should at least be aware of them.

Okay, I think I can lay claim to the majority of these, and after yesterday, I'll especially claim the psychiatric disorder one.

Thanks Tawny, much appreciated!

Comment

Hi Anni,

If it helps, I do know that many of Topa's side effects do go away with time if you can just hang in there.

I have been getting a bit grouchy with it too....but it does go away.
                  :h :h :h :h

Comment

PS: Many of the side effects are especially worse when you dose up and then subside within a couple of days
                    :h :h :h :h

Comment

Yes I agree with Imagine, they do pass though and you can take it whatever time of day works for you, so don't worry about that, the thing you have to worry about is if you feel any side effect regarding your eyes, ie , if they burn, sting, are red, etc. Then you must stop taking it.
                      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Annie, I don't know why but I haven't had that level of grouchiness so I don't know what to say. Only you can decide what's right for you and your body though. I'm also on effexor for depression so I don't know if that helps to keep my mood more stable. Any chance you can work with a physician? Em

Comment

Thanks all. I actually threw my Topamax into the bin in the heat of the moment - thinking I would retrieve them later. Of course later came and also the realisation that it was garbage day and hubby had emptied the bin so it's bye bye Topamax. Maybe it's for the best. I considered looking into alternatives. Actually, last night, after having had no medication for 2 nights I feel great today and only had 2 glasses of wine last night and started thinking that maybe I'm relying too much on another crutch (ie meds). I am going to try the "taking responsibility for myself" thing and just see how that goes. I never really gave that simple idea much thought. I guessed it was wine or Topa. I remember somebody saying (maybe somebody like Dr Phil) that the hardest thing you can say to yourself is "No" (or something along these lines). I'm going to try it Wish me luck :H

I should add that I am going to continue taking the Kudzu, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X