Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, September 4th

Mornin Abbers!

Hope this morning meets you all with happiness and brightness. Boy--sure were a lot of posts yesterday. You guys are startin me right off with a bang. But its a good bang. (oh, that almost doesn't sound ok) Well, anyway you know what I mean.

Readin over the posts tho and thinkin about moderation vs. abstinence I thought more about the rewards of not drinking. Basically how it came down to short-term rewards and long term rewards. Short-term were things we could do today like wake up in the morning and read out posts here on MWO and feel lifted. Often times for me I would notice an immediate difference in the way I felt. I can enjoy my coffee and go for a workout and feel refreshed. Enjoy a more clear head and feel much more organized and just breeze through my daily tasks with much less stress. Already I notice how I feel more positive about sending the kids off to school and am more tuned in to our conversations instead of hurrying them along so I could go back and rest longer.

Then the longer term rewards. Ones that over time we see and have huge rewards for. Like watching yourself grow stronger in your faith. Until our personal relationship with our God becomes our best friend instead of the buzz that we used to cling to. We watch ourselves become beautiful as we shed our shame, guilt, resentments, self-hatred and other negative buildups from our past. We can see the quality of our relationships improve with our family friends and spouses. We watch ourselves grow in our jobs and in our ability to be more productive people. We learn to use our gifts and talents in a way that feels good and benefits others. We begin to discover the joy and beauty in ourselves and others, and in life. The long term progress is steady, but often slow. But each day keeps piling up on each other, becomes short term rewards and then turns into long term rewards.

This was my condensed version of something I read about benefits of recovery. Kinda means a little x-tra something for us today.

So the thoughts for us today are being grateful for the short and long term rewards that your work here in absville is bringing to you in your recovery.
    And if you are new in the neighborhood...have faith that you can achieve these long term rewards.
    And if you are an old timer...take a second to reflect your overall progress.
    I think this is a good--feel goodie.

Love ya all and cant wait for Mikes party. Sounds like its gonna be fun and fattening. So everyone probably needs to do double up on the exersise tomorrow. But it will be worth it. Mike what time do ya want the gang?
    Have a good morning all in absville everyone. love gabby
    Gabby :flower:

Monday, September 4th

Sunday

Whew! It was a busy day here in absville yesterday. I am up late, so figuired I would post now since it is technically Monday. So many great posts--wanted to comment on some-

Susan loved all the "yets" you mentioned. I used to think those things were just self-imposed rules I had--when they were just "yets".
    Kathy-had to mention this. Watched the movie "Prime" last weekend. I kept thinking of you--when Diane Keaton came on--so Diane Keaton is the image I have of you.
    Mike you reminded me of a person in the book "Dry". When one woman learns she has terminal cancer--her first thought after a long career of drinking was "Oh my God, I wasted my life"--it hit home with me. I also, read Carr. There is a small group of us on Yahoo Groups--just search easyway drinking--and you will find it.
    Pansy, happycamper and Gina--so glad you guys are still here with us.
    Macks--I love alone time in the house. I get about 15 minutes every six months. And moderation is a pipe dream for me. Been down that road-led me slowly back to hell. Hopefully I will never be dancing like an idiot again.
    Bambs--the first time I saw my husband drunk and I was sober--was just plain embarrassing! Same feeling--OMG--that was me!
    Gabby could not agree with you more on the God stuff. Its the main thing that really attracts me to AA. There is nothing like standing with 100 people (that were considered the pond scum of society) holding hands and saying the Lord's Prayer. I literally get chills every time. Also, on the pot. It was never my thing, but it was my husband's. I know they say its not addictive--but he was addicted to the feeling and it was very hard for him to quit. The biggest difference between alcohol and pot when you give it up--at least with pot its not all over TV and glamourized the way alcohol is.

What truly is a blessing is seeing all of us struggle and stumble--yet once we get the alcohol out of our systems we blossom into wonderful people.

Everyone enjoy the holiday!

Kim

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Hi Gabby Lord Mayor of Absville. Are you ok? - You did a sterling job yesterday XXXX
      BUT, has Kim beaten me to the Prize of the Day ? Bet she has - Fiddlesticks... I knew I shouldn't have had that second cup of coffee !!!

Day 6 for me, and 1 day left on valium... i feel like my little tug boat will have done it's job and guided me out of the stagnant port i was in, and now i am able to set a course unaided to , the beautiful calm blue ocean - of life... ( where did that come from ? ) .

When I post here, I find that, although I remember all of your messages, it's difficult to remember who exactly said what so that i can respond, so instead of scribbling mad notes from the previous days posts which i can never read my writing anyway , i have decided to print them off ( on the flip side of already used paper ( saving the rainforest and all that ) so that I can be a bit more specific. they would only go in the bin anyway - so I am recycling !!!

Jenn, I can't believe that your daughter would be arrested for holding a drink of alcohol, and she is 20 - an adult. It seems a bit extreme. I was shocked when I learned what MIP was. But perhaps there is a silver lining - you can support each other now..

reading Susan ( clevvers) post about abs for 11 years gave me hope..You did it, and can do it again, You seem like a very clued up person - pre-empting your 'yets' I've never looked at my 'yets' I put my head in the sand and think - it'll be ok - it won't happen to me, but Audrey's story hits you like a brick, and clearly I need to take a good look at myself. At least the first steps have been made.

Pansy - I wussed out on the drilling bit - I think Macks is right. I bought some 'no more nails' instead BIT FAT CHEAT ! Day 4 for you today - Hooray !

Mike - I hope we haven't missed the party - I've made some chicken and veg soup to bring over with Lou and Macks in Kathy's Bubble - if there's enough room.
      The thought of having a drink flits thru my mind quite a bit, but is lessening as the days go by, but I'm still with my tug boat, so have to wait I'm in unchartered waters to tell you more. And yes Abs is an ACE place to be - I slipped up BADDDDDLY and still these guys supported me through it. - You'll be fine.. lots a love x

Camper - enjoyed chattin the other day - and also you telling me ' How it is' without any frills or buttons and bows. I need to be told straight sometimes - a kick up the backside does me wonders. hope you doin ok.

Lou, hope you're not pining too much with your boy gone - 2 weeks isn't that long, and you can snog his piccie, and put it on your pillow at night ! hope the eau de baby puke aroma has gone now ! Take care - Hope you doin ok- you are sounding Just Fine Lady .

Is it 1st day of school today Macks? Freedom !!? i bet you'll miss them like mad. Are you packed and all suited and booted for the party - not sure time what time our taxi bubble is arriving- perhaps we've missed it. !

Nancy - when I read your post about being Auntie Em it made me smile - I thought that would be just Perfect for you...

Are rested and relaxed now Kathy ? I always have wanted to ask , you know your flags that you sew, what are they for? - Sorry, not being nosey, just curious. Can you sew me one with a Bambino on?

Well - I hope I've got everyone in - my new method seems to work. And if I have forgot anyone , I'm dead sorry and the method has failed !

Well got to go and 'no more nails' a few things now - preferably Mille and Daisy's feet to the floor because they are having Wacky races up and down the stairs.. ho hum.

Look forward to reading your posts later in the day- And I re-accept my position of electrician - I can change plugs and light switches and lampshades !!!! - Oh and probably could stretch to plugging in Macks Hoover !

Bye for now have a lovely day
      liz
      xxxxxx
      It's nice to chat to you all
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Good morning everyone!
        This will be a quick post as hubby and I are off shortly to spend the day with the grand kids (and hour and a half drive one way).
        Gabby, your ROYAL HIGHNESS, what a home run you hit this AM with your post. Your thoughts mirror mine 100%. As for the faith and God part - well, without them I really don't think I would even be here right now. God has carried me through some pretty horrible and dark times. Without faith I would have been lost long ago. Always that light when the dark wanted to swallow me up. Revovery is all of what you said and more. Hey, last night I golfed sober for the first time in 10 years! I always thought I needed a beer or two to loosen up - turns out I was wrong!! Golf better sober!
        Bambs, I like your idea on how to respond to all the wonderful posts here. Tomorrow, I will get my trusty pencil and paper and follow your lead. I would do so today, but the highway is calling me and four beautiful grandkids are waiting for a day of fun. I do agree with you, by the way, on the harshness of the mip for my daughter, but I also believe there is more to it than that - that God is working in my daughter's life and saving her from what my Dad and I have suffered. In short, answering my prayers.
        Have a most wonderful Monday, all and THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for returning to this board each and every day and pouring out your hearts, sharing your struggles, offering your support, giving a window into your lives.....it really has made a difference for me. My life is changing and I am so grateful.
        Jenn

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Good point there Jenn with regards to your daughter - didn't look at it from that perspective.. Maybe there has been an intervention from a higher place. Have a good day
          xxx
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Monday, September 4th

september 4

Morning all,

Today is day 4 for me in absville. It is not so bad at all this time. I know for some folk who are just starting out, it can be horribly tough. I remember because I was there. However, now that I have already done my 6 weeks of abs and a 3 month period of mods (although somewhat sloppy) - not drinking for these past days has been less problematic than I thought. Wine was calling my name last night - but I know it was a psychological call, not a physical one. Glad I did not give in. By the end of this week, I wil have a full 10 in. Not too shabby.

Bambino - you are doing so well - congrats. Me, I like duct tape as I have not heard of the no nails stuff. I am going to need to get some help though, my bed is in the middle of the room lest my curtains and hardware come crashing down on my head in the middle of the night, again.

Darn - I wish I could see the full list of posts so I could respond to everyone who had posted already. I'm not gonna lie - no coffee yet so no memory. Anyway, I am so glad to be here and wish everyone a peaceful day on abs.

Camper - welcome on your first official day in absville :l

Gina - sorry so tired. 12 hour shifts must be hard when those call buttons don't stop. Glad you have made it to day 7, yes it is 7?

Thanks for all your encouragement, Mack glad your daughter is doing okay now. I laughed at your earlier post - you sound like a great dad.

Take care all,
            Pansy

Day 4

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Happy Labor Day Absville,

Down here at the farm end of Absville, that means........labor! It's ok though.....Got a bar-b-que planed this afternoon after Mike's party.
              Belle chased the chickens all over the farm, you probably heard the noise. Those chickens were faster than even mighty Belle! Whew!!!!!!! Glad I didn't have to defeather one.the good news is KFC is just on the way to Mike's..I'll pickup a bucket!

I am so impressed with Absville! We have come a long way since I first started here. Even though we come here beat up and weary, we soon find ourselves making friends and working through problems and finding JOY in our lives.

As our Mayor said, our Faith is God has gotten us through. His faith in us NEVER wavered as He loves us with unconditional love(Agape) God love.

Kim , I got chills about the 100 people saying the Lord's prayer. I was in Mobile Alabama in Jan. 2004 and stood with 10,000 people as we renewed our "wedding " vows to
              to our Lord. It was a Beth Moore conferance. After the vows, the band played and 10,00 people celebrated with song and dance......quite a reception.huh?

Liz!....Day 6! Yeah!!!!!Auntie Em sends you a big :l !
              Auntie Em is also a little concerned about you plugging in Mac's Hoover. Or ANYTHING at Mac's house! Just make sure MRS. MAC is there!

Jenn have fun with the grandkids.....Grandkids, mine and Belle's favorite thing!
              Yes.The Light......so much better than the darkness!

Pansy, when that wine starts calling, take the duct tape and tape it's mouth shut! Congrats on day 4....that is over the hump day for the wine to be out of your system. Keep a big roll of tape near.

Ok...gotta run.......the kids are on their way. Belle is so excited....Mike......she does love tennis balls and we have a sling shot that puts almost over at your house!

Later neighbors.
              NANCY & BLLE:l
              "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Hey everybody,

Well it is just a couple of hours until the party and I'm just getting things ready -- setting out the lawn furniture, chilling the lemonade, etc. And it looks like it's going to be a lovely day for it. Can't wait to dig into all that wonderful food.... and to play tennis with Belle!

Thanks, Gabby, for reminding us about the short-term and the long-term benefits of not drinking. It's a human trait to want instant gratification, and to be disappointed if we don't get it. In today's cell phone-internet-fast food society we've grown accustomed to having that expectation met most of the time... and as alcoholics we run the risk of turning back to drink if and when we become disappointed if we don't see the results we expect. Right now I'm in sort of the "pink cloud" that some people enjoy when they first stop drinking -- just enjoying not being drunk or hung over -- but I know that is not going to last forever. Real life sets in, and there will be days that simply not drinking won't be so exhilirating. So what then? That's where the faith (in yourself, in God) comes in. And you have to start looking at the slow steady progress you're making, and realize that THAT is the true miracle....

I say this as if I've been there. In a sense I have. In 2000, when I first admitted to myself that I had a drinking problem, I went to AA. I was so relieved to be able to admit it to myself and to others, and to find people who had the same problem and who had found a way to solve it. I attained 9 months' sobriety then before quitting going to meetings and sliding back into the pit. The truth is that the first 6 months of that stint of sobriety were very happy times, and I felt a lot of growth in myself. Then my head got all screwed up, I stopped working at it, I stopped going to meetings, etc etc. And after 9 months I started drinking "moderately" but before long it got ugly again.... and here I am 6 years later. Isn't it interesting how you get stuck on a problem and God doesn't seem to let you move on to other things until you solve that problem....

(By the way I hope all the talk about God doesn't turn off anyone who is agnostic or atheist. I know that is why many people don't go to AA. But everyone here has their own beliefs and we all respect that -- this program is big enough for everyone, and you customize it to work for you! Some of us have spirituality as an aspect to our recovery, others don't. Just throwing that out there.)

I also wanted to echo Jenn's sentiments -- thank you all for coming here regularly and opening up your hearts and lives. It has been a lifeline to me recently. :thanks:

Ok -- if you're not out picnicking with family or doing something else scintillating, I hope you'll stop by for the party at 9:00 Alaska Daylight Time. It's the place on the north edge of town -- cute 2-story house with a gravel drive and a big lemon tree in the side yard! I'll tie some balloons to the mail box.

Mike
                "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Monday, September 4th

I'll be there Mike! Might steal a few of your lemons....my tree died about a year back and my cooking has just not been the same ever since:boohoo: I agree with what you said about how God doesn't let us move on to other things til you find a solution or peace with that problem. My AA history began in late 2003 and got me to about 9 months sobriety. I was anxious about having to make my "1 year" speech, among other reasons...and slowly faded from mtgs. Felt I just had it under control at that time. So tired of the obsession and lack of growth when dealing with the drink issue.
                  Pansy congrats on day 4..so glad you are here! Feeling much more energetic this morning after a hectic weekend at the hospital. Just got back from the gym. The instructor sure didn't take the holiday into account considering the intensity of the workout. Man, am I going to be sore tomorrow!
                  Camper! Look forward to you joining us here. The door is always unlocked!! Come in and I'll bring you a green tea latte (no All One in it..I promise!!!)!
                  Gabby..loved your message today and so happy you are our mayor pro tem.
                  Happy Labor Day! Thanks for your support! Gina

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Well, its straight up noon here and I finally got my kids off the computer in time to have a quick chat with mike and gina and nancy I think in chat and now here to post.

Looks like Kim wins the early bird prize for this morning. Congrat's Kim to the new proud owner of a super deluxe, top of the line, (city council only buys the best) add on room to your house in Absville with your favorite quiet pastime built in just how ya want it. So you can get more of 15 minutes every 6 months of alone time. Mike, Mack and Bambs will be over there to get it all set up for ya and Susan and Kathy are gonna decorate it. Everyone is so eager to help. So dont worry about getting cheated on your space alone anymore Kim!

Kim and Jenn, Yea, I really am grateful for being able to hear what the Good Lord got to say to me lately, instead of havin it muddled out. Peelin the layers off in my recovery has sure helped me tune in.

Bambs, dont worry....I know your gonna get the early bird prize one mornin. And oh my gosh....I laughed and laughed when you asked Kathy about the flags.
                    Truthfully Kath....I have wondered about the same thing myself but never asked. Normally I am very outspoken myself...but I gotta give it to ya Bambs....good girl. I couldn't have put it better myself. Happy day 6 to you and keep on going.

Jenn....way to go on your golf game. Same with me...I always felt the same way that before a softball game or whatever i was doing that I benefited from having a beer or two first. Just like ya said...loosened me up. So good for you in passin that up and golfing better.
                    Pansy...Happy day 4. And like you said setting a goal by a certain date and looking at the number of days by then really helped me and still I didn't stumble. So happy day 4 today and happy day 10 by the end of this week. It will get here fast. : )

Nancy...I cant wait for the chicken. Yum oh Yum. I truly bet its gonna be the best I've ever tasted. I already want the reciepe and Mike wants the left overs.

Well I hope everyone has a great day and makes it over to Mikes. See ya all later. gabby
                    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Hiya all,
                      Gonna keep it quite short for now,i just got in from football and im stinking out the living room. Just wanted to pop my head in for now and say keep up the good work everyone. Cracking start to the morning Gabby, to wake up and read your opener for the day really puts you in the right frame of mind. And its a nice reminder for all of us how well we are doing and what we can look forward to...I also agree with what Mike said about getting through the honeymoon period and still being able to refuse a drink...Its a real test...but thats whats good about this place...I remember the last time i was really struggling about a week ago and i came on here and Diane virtually held my hand till my local shop shut and couldnt get any beer even if i wanted to. If it wasnt for Absville and the people in it i'd of been back to square one AGAIN.
                      So keep up the good work..And keep supporting each other...Love Macks:l
                      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Just Checking In!

I'm just doing a quick check in for today. I've got to get sewing again! Yikes! Deadlines are fast approaching, and I'm starting to feel pretty pinched for time! I will check in later for the party Mike. I'll bring some cranberry juice. It makes a really nice mixer for lemonade if you want a change of pace!

I'm sorry I can't say a whole lot personally today. I do want to say one thing, though. Is Gabbs a great Mayor or what???:wd: :good:

Love and hugs,

Kathy:l :h
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Cranberry juice and lemonade -- sounds great!

Gabby is doing a GREAT job as mayor, and by the way congratulations on your 90 DAYS!! Great job!! :happy:

OK it's my nap time now.
                          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Monday, September 4th

Evening all!!

Just checking in for the day to let you all know im still here!!
                            Had a lovely evening..went out to dinner (AF) with my friend whom i house shared with for a while last year (we fell out pretty badly!) and havent spoke for just over a year, so i decided to swallow my pride an call her and im so glad i did. Weve had the funniest evening remenicing about our mad single girl antics last year...i havent laughed so much in ages, it was a real tonic and has really cheered me up...i suppose life is just to short to hold grudges guys..im so glad i made that phone call cause i need friends around me at the moment and i tend to cut myself off from people.
                            So im a happy bunny tonight!! Got docs again in the morning...hopefully he'll be a bit more understanding this time, however my sicknote for work runs out and im just hoping he extends it cause im not ready to go back yet and if i go back and have to be off again then i will prob get the sack, which is something i can definitley do wIthout at the moment!!!
                            I think im gettin there guys..baby steps, doesnt help when the waiting list to see a psyciatrist is about 7 months long!!! this country is just so behind its unbelievable!!!
                            Anyways...much love to all my neighbours here in absville as always

Lou-Lou x x x x x
                            "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Monday, September 4th

P.S

Almost forgot to ask...does anyone in absville protest to me painting my house pink?

Lou-Lou x x x
                              "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Working...
                              X