From Lush - Catch Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Lush - Catch Up

Just a quick line. Several weeks ago I found this site after a pretty horrendous time which although can never be forgotten, has been 'coped with' and even better, the drinking cycles have been 'coped with' too. Basically I think I was so physically weak, that turning to a drink was just no lnger and opttion so I was forced to find another way of dealing with it - kind of self administered CBT. I have asked myself the question 'like a drink?', and the answer is always no, I have far too much to get on with, and I won't be able to do it even if I have 'just one to see'. This has come after years and years of trying to stop, and it hasn't all been down to me and self control (otherwise I would have stopped a long time ago) but I had some really sensible helpful replies on this site, and yes, I do know I am not out of the woods yet. Thanks everyone. xx

From Lush - Catch Up

Lush,

It sounds like you are on your way, though, and that is wonderful.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

From Lush - Catch Up

Lush..sounds like you should change your name your name to formally lush. anyway welcome and goodluck on your journey. never give up

Comment

From Lush - Catch Up

I'm not out of the woods yet either, but over the last several days, I have been "weaning" myself off alcohol slowly, drinking less and less each day. Since I'm a beer drinker and not on hard liquor, it's probably easier than it is for those of you drinking whiskey, vodka, or whatever other poison of your choice simply because of the potency.

I monitor my intake of beer and cut down just a little at a time (even 6 or 8 ounces a day is progress).

Thus far, in the last few days, I have cut down my alcohol consumption by around 35 percent and I'm feeling a little stronger each and every day. The shakes have gone down, the anxiety, and the weakness.

I don't want to go back to those horrible mornings of waking up trembling so much that I could hardly pour myself a glass of water, much less bring it to my mouth for a drink.

Sometimes I'm bored as hell, but I'll take boredom any day over the way I was beginning to feel.

BTW, this method of stopping drinking has worked for me in the past. For those of you that have tried several methods and have been unable to stop, this might work for you.

The horrible (dangerous) pains of withdrawal are nothing to be messed with. Stopping cold turkey, especially without meds can be life-threatening. Well over a decade ago, I went into an alcoholic treatment program. When I first arrived (great place btw; good, caring people), the first thing they did after checking me out physically was to give me a couple of pills to curb the withdrawal pains. I was a little hesitant at first, and the nurse said "Don't be a hero, we don't want you stroking out on us." Those words stick with me to this day.

Don't be a hero and think you can stop cold turkey without potentially serious consequences. Another problem stopping cold turkey is that you could go through such severe withdrawal pains that you finally give in and drink even MORE to satisfy your body's need for the alcohol...

Oh, I've also stopped taking antidepressants (for about a week now). The withdrawal from that was not easy either. I constantly had popping and clicking noises in my head, and would occasionally feel "jolts" as if I was being given an electric shock. Those withdrawal pains stopped a day or two ago, thank God.

I've also stopped taking librium, which is another addictive drug (a few days ago). I was also taking naltrexone, which did nothing for me but make things worse. So, I have essentially gotten off of three different drugs, cut down my drinking (and will continue to do so day by day), and with a prayer be back to my normal self within a week or so.

I know there are those of you on here that for one reason or another cannot get prescription meds to help with the withdrawal. If it was legal, I'd give the 60 five milligram tablets of librium that I have left over away to anyone that could use them. Of course I'm not being serious (I don't want to end up in jail), but I'm no longer using those pills and don't want them... Soon, they, along with the other drugs will be flushed down the toilet, along with my addiction to drink.. The desire to drink will always be there, but I can do this.

All in all I have been making GREAT progress. Hopefully in the near future I'll be changing my moniker to sohappy

FEELING STRONGER EVERDAY.

PS. If there any of you in the Fort Worth area that are having intense struggles with withdrawal, I know of a very good and kind Doctor that might be able to help. If you want to send me a personal message, I'll be happy to give you her contact information. She's a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), whom I think a little more highly of than an MD because of their philosophy of treating the "cause" of the problem rather than the symptom. She is very empathetic and will prescribe you medication for the withdrawal, and also recommend therapy. She's so kind that during one session she learned of my (un)emloyment situation and no insurance. When I went to the front desk to pay, the lady at the front desk said "the doctor said there is no charge for this visit." That almost made me cry, in a good way.
        I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

From Lush - Catch Up

Sosad

Some good advice there. However, even if it was legally ok to do so I wouldn't ever give meds to anyone else without a Drs guidance. Some people have unfortunately died through drinking whilst on sedatives, including someone falling down the stairs and breaking their neck. The combination also can supress breathing and I don't believe that's any good either! Too much and you end up a zombie (done that one), too little and you get the tremors. To many over a long period=dependence also.

Dr, and a titration regime first please. I've managed to get through another phase of withdrawls myself, determined not to have to use librium. At one point I thought I was never going to make it to the Drs yesterday my legs were so bad. I did it and got safely back home!

Comment

Working...
          X