5 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 September

Good morning all! The day after labor day has always seemed like the first day of a new year for me for some reason...must be because that's when school always used to start. We had a great week-end - kids, grand babies and great-grandparents here yesterday for a barbecue - lots of work but lots of fun.

It's a cool and crisp 53 degrees here this morning so it occurs to me no more excuses not to lace up those nice new walking shoes and get with it. Since starting this program, I'm feeling so much better. Looking back over the last seven weeks, even though I've had a few slips I am at such a much better place than I was. This board and my friends here have been a great inspiration.

I think so many of us share common traits which is maybe why we have a common challenge with alcohol. One of my traits is fierce independence - that feeling that I don't need anyone or an unwillingness to let my guard down. You guys have been so supportive - even through my little "snits" and I think I've learned something from all of you so - thanks!

Everyone have a great day - catch ya later..
    Trish In Omaha

Shepard James 'Shep' Walker: I think it can best be said..."The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
    Sidda: Well, what about the road back? What's that paved with?
    Shepard James 'Shep' Walker
    : Humility.

"Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood
    "

5 September

Trish--you sound wonderful!!! Listen--I'm off to drop the kids off to school, than I hope to run home to post super quick before I have to go to school..if I can't I will later this afternoon, just wanted to say a quick hi, and hope you enjoyed your grandbabies...
    Yes--after Labor Day--new Start--
    Welcome Eustacia!! Never too late!
    sm-mary

Comment

5 September

Good morning everyone
      Welcome Eustacia!
      Hope everyone had a good weekend!
      I was away this weekend so I didn't get a chance to post but I now have had a chance to read everyone's posts and I have to say that I am sorry I missed such an interesting discussion on moderation. Especially because this is something I have been thinking about a lot. I think everyone is right though - there are many more tools out there than before to assist us in moderating. The dateline story was really scary but they didn't have access to all the tools (topa, supps, this board) etc. that we have, so I think we are in a better position to actually go mod right?
      I think we just have to be very realistic with ourselves and with our drinking. Some people cannot moderate and if that is the case, then perhaps abs is the best answer for that person. But obviously, mods is working just fine for some!
      Anyways, thats my two cents.
      Today is starting out to be a little more calm at work (thank goodness) so hopefully things have settled down from some of the major projects of last week. The weekend was good. Pretty low key. Drank a little more than I probably should have but nothing that I am ashamed of. Anyways, I am really aiming for AF days today, tomorrow and Thursday this week.
      Hope everyone is great.
      Love you all
      Hugs
      Jen
      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

5 September

Trish you are right about the being fiercely independent trait. Definitely a big one with me, along with being a control freak. I think we would find a lot of us have much in common............off to take my daughter to school. Where did this summer go???
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

5 September

Two days AF. Why does it seem like more? :H

Waves 2
          Enough is enough

Comment

5 September

Can't believe how stupid I am. Just been on chat for first time ever. struggled to write anything in time. The subject had always changed by the time I had typed a reply! Also, didn't know how to get out?????????
            Enough is enough

Comment

5 September

Yeah, I've never been accused of being independent.. ....NOT!
              just because I lived in a tree house w/out running water @ 9000 ft elev., for 18 yrs, by myself, & cut my own wood (I still have my own chainsaw!)& hauled everything in & out that need it (that couldn't walk!) Nope ...I'm not independent:H What's funny is my Hubby is a real gentlman(most of the time).. he even opens doors for me! It's taken me a long time to learn to appreciate that! We were brought up quite differently!

Sunday night driving home from work, after a busy night, I was heading up river, there's a section where it's long straight stretch before getting into the winding curves where I always speed up for a mile or so... As usual I was accellerating just about to shift into 5th gear(going maybe 55), all of a sudden at the edge of my vision I see a huge elk! I was able to hit the brakes & horn just in time & thank god no one was in the southbound lane! I must have came within 10 or 15 ft of him! He was HUGE! About the size of a horse!w/a big rack of antlers, would have been very bad... Just amazing how quikly things can happen.
              Last night we got a call from our neighbor's daughter, asking us to go over & tell them to get off the internet so they could get a phone call thru. Their other daughter had just hit an elk @ 60 mph, on her way home. I haven't heard any more yet, other than she totalled her car, but I think she's OK.. amazingly.

It's payback time for my week off in Vegas... I've gotta work tonight for someone else. So I'll catch ya later! Hope everyone has a great day!
              Hugs Judie

PS I forgot to tell ya. I got a call when we were in Vegas, from my boss, saying, "Judie, call me". So I did. He needed me to work that night! He forgot I was outa town! We laughed.. I told him I would be be a bit late gettin there... he laughed & told me I was fired !! So I said good , I can stay longer!
              The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

5 September

waves honey you did fine in the chat room. there was alot of people in there at the time lol.hard to keepup then. hope to see you again!

Comment

5 September

Hey guys
                  I posted this on the General board too but thought I would post it here as well.
                  Might be helpful for days you have chosen to go abs but maybe are having difficulty with that decision for whatever reason...or if just having a craving etc, etc.

Hi Guys
                  I know I have been posting a lot lately about habits and rationalizing and the important role this tends to play in drinking etc. I think this is really important. Something that topa cant address. Its something that anyone who has had an "unhealthy relationship" with alcohol has to address. So, I have been working on putting together a sort of drink diary for when a "craving/urge/rationalization" for a drink comes on. The idea is that when this happens, I will take this little diary and write down the answers to the questions. Maybe it will make me think twice before taking that drink. Of course, as my wonderful MWO family (I just created this today), I wanted to share this with you. What do you guys think? As I have said fifty trillion times before, the topa is great for reducing the physical cravings but i thought anything that can help that mental/habit pain in the you-know-what could be helpful. Of course if people want to add to it etc. that woudl also be great. The best thing about these boards is we have a wealth of experience and intelligence to benefit from!
                  Love you all
                  Jen

DIARY
                  For when a craving/urge or “rationalize” for a drink hits:

1) Describe how you are feeling right now.

2) Be honest with yourself, can this truly be described as a craving or as a habit?

3) What are you looking for in a drink?

4) Is drinking relieving you from doing something you would have otherwise had to do?

5) What are some alternative things you can do to achieve what it is you are seeking?

6) List the reasons NOT to drink: List the predictable outcomes of drinking.

General notes for exposing patterns/habits and how to fight back.
                  1) Where is the craving/urge most likely to occur?

2) When? (time of day, what day)

3) Who else is there?

4) What are you doing at this time?

5) Are certain thoughts or feelings associated with the occurrence of the craving/urge?

6) Is the occurrence of the craving/urge predictable? Can you tell when (under what circumstances) it will strike (or get worse), when it will leave you alone (ease off)?

7) Is it controllable? What can you do to influence it?

Note: Problems feel ‘universal’, as if they were ‘always there’. Find exceptions: they are the clue to ways of fighting back.
                  Keeping a diary is in itself a behavior change agent. Sometimes, it is the only action necessary to eliminate a bad habit. It is a source of information allowing you to plan an attack on the distressing problem. And it makes you into an observer, so that you can distance yourself from unwanted emotions

Comment

5 September

HI all mods!

Trisha you sound awesome! It is great to have you back. Just like you said, it takes time to get on that road and even if there are slips they are not the sloppy nights we use to have before MWO. GOOD FOR YOU! Glad you had a great weekend!

Welcome Waves, Because those first few AF Days drag on - consistently thinking about the fact that you are not drinking. 2 days is a wonderful start!

Welcome Eustacia, We are happy to have your here!

Lush, yep I agree with Trish all pretty independent women. We can let our hair down here though, ask for help, talk about the triggers, frustration and aggravations we feel along with the postive parts of our programs or the eureka moments that may occur.

Jen, I missed you over the weekend! Saw you were thinking on the abs board, we all have to do what we feel its right for us. Maybe try a week of abs with us and see if that is the direction you want to go. Only have enough alcohol in the house for the days you would like to drink if you are doing the mods program and choose some days, easiest ones to be AF. That is a very thoughtful diary and I think it would really help quantify whether it is habit or a true craving one is feeling. GREAT JOB!!

Judie, sounds like autumn is around the corner, hope you get a chance to be out kayaking as much as possible. Sorry you have to work today. Yep, I lived in a third world situation for 15 years, sometime without running water, no phones, no electricity. Yet, I still didn't do the roughin it like you!

Soccermom Mary, hope school is going well for you and the kids!

Lush, we are all here for you and applaud your efforts.

Patti, glad you are here, you are doing very well on your own plan too!

Dilayne, it took me awhile to know my triggers or possibly admit my triggers to myself. The relationship thing was definitely one of the biggies!

OK, I am going to gross out the true beer drinkers here . . . Last night I had a Corona Light over ice with lime. It took almost three hours before I finished it. My husband says I ruin all beers in general!

I road the bike last night for 20 minutes, in less than a month I have lost that uumph to get to 30 minutes. (Old body, benadryl and all.)

Have a wonderful day all and if I missed anyone, I am sorry about that.

Hugs and Love,
                    Mary

Comment

5 September

hi all

Have been so busy I miss you all!! So I am starting in late this month too, sorry!!

Eustacia, welcome!! You'll love it here in modsville!! Everyone is great!!

Waves, I always felt retarded in the chat room (tried it a few times at the beginning, maybe will try it again later, just never have time!)

Lush, ditto on the independant thing and all of us having more in common than we think! That is why we are here, right?????

Jen, Great diary thing, I want to utilize it too, I think I may have to go abs for a while too, as August was a really rough month for me, didn't mod too well AT ALL, still learning though................

Judie, funny w/ your boss!! Shoot, you could have stayed Sat night had played w/ Me & Mike ........we had TOOOOOO much fun!!

Love an hugs to you all,

Love you,

Mary Anne:h

Comment

5 September

Hi everyone,
                        :welcome: Eustacia, It is never to late to join in on the fun!
                        I had a good week-end, there was a couple of rainy days here so I did stuff around the house that needed to be done. Only had 3 beers this weekend AF on sunday, Mary your husdand is right you did ruin a good beer.:H I'm going to try to be AF all week but it was sure hard on the way home from work, It is another beautyfull day in Minnasota and I just love sitting on the deck with a beer in my hand, no lime, but I drove right past that old liqure store and went home. Been doing some sewing to kept me busy I can't believe how many unfinished projects I have and I got one done today! Well it sounds like everyong is doing just great, kept up the good work! :good:
                        Well time to fix me some supper
                        Patti :happyheart:

Comment

Working...
                        X