Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have found an exercise that I'll actually do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not the kind of person who enjoys taking a brisk walk, or riding a bike, or going to a gym. I've suffered tremendous guilt from this over the years, knowing that I should be doing something good for my body and not doing it. Recently a friend introduced me to rebounding and to my surprise, I found that I will actually do this. Right now I'm at five minutes, twice a day. In six days I have lost two pounds but more than that, I can already see a teeny bit of toning in my belly, hips, thighs and legs. Teeny for sure, but it's a start.

I bought a high end rebounder.

Eliminate exercise trampoline safety issues with the Cellerciser home exercise trampoline

I believed the testimonials I read on the site. I am not selling these and do not plan to sell these so nothing to gain by mentioning them.
    vegan zombies want your grains

I found a way to exercise that I enjoy also ! ha! I can Walk the dog too, best of both worlds ! Ha! IAD.
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Cyclefan,
      I bought an exercise trampoline last summer at a yard sale. I haven't used it because I regularly ride my bike in good weather, work hard in my garden. I was looking for a winter substitute, something to add to the 2x weekly swimming that I do year round. I hope I will remember this post and try it this winer.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

i have one and use it when i get bored with my regular stuff (walking, running, hiking, aerobics)...i like it, but my walls don't!

Comment

Me too ! Wallking the pooch ! Ha! IAD
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

It's amazing what muscles you use on a trampoline!!! I went on my niece's, my back and the backs of my legs were killing me the next day. It didn't help that my niece's friend was challenging me to do different jumps - I clearly couldn't do them but I insisted on trying until I managed to sort of succeed.
            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Ok Beth, first I have to say that because of your screen name I have always thought that you were some avid cyclist!!! I pictured you burning up the pavement on a road bike, training for some killer road races.

How we can make up stories about our peers on here! :H

Anyway, thanks for this post, I too struggle always with exercise. But I also have read things about this type of exercise as very different...from Ann Louise Gittleman, who does the Fat Flush plan and books - she is a HUGE proponent of it and pushes it in all her various plans. I bought a pretty decent rebounder too, that alas is sitting in the basement with some other equipment.

You have inspired me to go bring it upstairs RIGHT now. There, I just did it mid-way through writing this post, would not let myself hit the SEND button until it was done. Thank you for the motivation!!

Comment

Sheri, yes I bought the rebounder for the lymphatic flush as much as anything. I trained as a Massage Therapist about ten years ago but only practiced for two. Lymphatic massage was one modality I did not have enough experience in to offer, but it always seemed to me that if the lymphatic system was flowing correctly the other systems would fall into place. After the initial weight loss of five pounds or so I started gaining again but I'm not too concerned as I can tell my clothes are fitting looser, so the weight gain must be in muscle. There is a definite toning effect. Mine cost $381, that included shipping. Like I said I believe the testimonials from the cellercise site, this is a high end rebounder and will take up to 400 lbs. of weight.

Scrubbly, just start out slow. For the first few days I just stood on it and bounced gently up and down for 2-3 minutes twice a day. My rebounder has a bar on it which I attached after about two weeks and it gives me the confidence to jump and do some ab crunches that I wouldn't do without that extra stabilization. I am only doing five minutes, 2x day. Who doesn't have five minutes?

Vlad you are right, these trampolines use muscles we didn't know we had. I am actually toning my upper arms and getting some muscle definition! For 1-2 minutes each session I hold my arms straight out even with my shoulders and rotate them in a short circular motion.

For people who have problems sleeping bouncing gently for 1-2 minutes before bed or when you wake in the night aids the sleep process. I don't have this problem myself but one of my employees does, he bought a rebounder too and says his sleep patterns are much improved.

Comment

Hi all,
                  That sounds like pretty good stuff. My knees are shot and as a result I don't exercise, which has put on lots of weight putting more stress on knees, heart etc. and so the cycle continues. Being in Australia I probably won't be able to get that particular type, but will go to local sports store and suss out whaty they have. Set it up in front of the TV and exercise in ad breaks. That's gotta be about 25 mins exercise in an hour. It sounds great. Meanwhile I've just started some gentle bike riding once a week.
                  Please keep us all posted on your progress.
                  Cycle, I too assumed you were a super cyclist!

Comment

Rags;688992 wrote:
                    Cycle, I too assumed you were a super cyclist!
                    Nah, I just like watching men in tight shorts ride bicycles. LOL!

Rags, honest five minutes twice a day gives you the same benefit as an hour of other types of exercise. You get the benefit of cardio too!

Comment

Update 8/22/09

I've been bouncing for about a month now and I can happily report that I don't show any weight loss, in fact I have gained some weight but it is muscle mass I'm sure as my clothes are fitting looser and I can actually pull my stomach in! OK I can't hold it in for very long but I haven't had abdominal muscles for 10 years I bet. Another thing...that wiggly part on the undersides of my upper arms is going away and I am actually developing MUSCLES in my arms! Amazing.

The other benefit is I'm much happier than I've been in a long time. I know people have told me for years what exercise can do for a person but I have not enjoyed exercise all my life so I'm so glad to have found something that I will do and is working for me.

If you are considering a rebounder please make sure you get one that is designed to hold your weight, and will not cause your ankles or feet to pronate (hope that is the correct term.) I am just over 200 lb. A month ago I could not bend over to clip my toenails. I can now.

Comment

Cyclefan,
                        Good to hear from you, and that this continues to work (out).
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Cycle - I'd have to get my pelvic floor fixed before I can rebound , but it sounds fun! I'm also much happier when exercising, I think it should be on prescription!

Bets.

x
                          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I just bought a reebok one ?30 - love it! It's exhausting but really good fun - not been on this week - but 3 days last week and could see difference in muscle tone.
                            Hope to get on it tonight after day out in London.
                            one day at a time

Comment

8/30/09 update

I am starting to see some shape changes in my body. All the weight I carry is in my gut, I know the most unhealthy place a woman can carry weight. All my life I've been thick through the middle, I call it my Middle European Breeding Stock genes. I remember when I was a little girl and my mom was making a dress for me, she took my measurements and they were 24" 24" 24". It's pretty much the same now except all the measurements are bigger, and two of them stick out in the front and one sticks out in the back.

OK, about the shape changes. I can see muscle definition in my calves and upper arms. Although my gut still hangs down, it is not hanging as far and I can see my nether parts when facing the mirror, also I don't really know how to describe this but where there used to be a roll of fat there is now just skin in the pelvic bone area. I am sitting straighter and have more energy to go up and down the stairs at work, instead of dragging myself up by the handrail I am able to walk steadily without becoming breathless.

I usually skip one 5 minute workout per week, especially if I have had other exercise that day. For instance, Friday afternoon the grandchildren and I walked about eight blocks. This may not sound like much to someone who is regularly athletic but for me it is huge. I will keep on with this rebounding as it is starting to show some results.

Comment

Working...
                              X