Baclofen and blood tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and blood tests

I haven't been on this site for a very long time but my struggle has continued with some longish sober periods. I've started taking Baclofen a while ago and it's effect is nothing short of miraculous - there is no struggle at all, in fact, it seems odd to me now to want to get drunk - not because it'll make me feel bad but because being drunk seems pointless in the first place.

I have a question for all you Baclofen users. Does Baclofen (or any reaction from taking it) show up in routine bloodtests? I have to have these regularly and at the moment am titrating down before each one, which is not ideal, as it makes me want to drink. I'm managing ok because I know it's only for a few days but would really prefer to avoid this if possible.

Your excellent threads on Baclofen convinced me to start taking it - thank you very, very much!

Baclofen and blood tests

Hi Uda your statement "it seems odd to me now to want to get drunk - not because it'll make me feel bad but because being drunk seems pointless in the first place." I am with you on that one!!!!! the Bac is proving to be as you state 'miraculous' . As for the blood testing I hope the resident expert on such things Bill p will chime in its a very valid and important question. Our police have powers to requests blood after a similar to breathalizer test for drugs (tests are aimed at those driving while under the influence of Benzos, weed, heroin, meth amphetimines ect) I know there are instructions while taking Bac to not operate machinery ect but dont know if it would show up in blood tests but my assumption as its is so commonly used for numerous muscular disorders since the 50s I hope not!!!!. Any way Bill P is best informed to advise...... my comments are just speculation. Thanks for posting great to hear another success story. All the best to you
    Regards
    Banned

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Uda,

OMG!!! I haven't "seen" you on here in ages and ages. (I used to be a different name but changed it.)

I am doing well on the Bac myself and now, to see you back and doing well. It really does my heart good.

What are these blood tests for? They may not be looking for something like Baclofen.

I have to take pop urine analysis weekly, and figure if they find it, they find it. Of course, I have a script, so that makes it easy.

Anyway, whatever, I am so happy to see you here and even happier to hear you are responding to the Baclofen, too.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Uda,

It makes me so happy, and fills me with such hope, every time I hear another Bac success story. I dont know about the blood tests, but could you tell me what your current dosage is and how long you have been taking the Bac? Im on 75mg right now and still havent hit the "off" switch.

Thanks

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Good to see you again, too, Cindy and I'm so pleased for you that the Baclofen seems to be working.

The blood tests are just general ones - not for drugs, as far as I know.

Zman, I'm on 60-80mg per day which is pretty low, I think. I went from serious daily drinker to occasional binge drinker a few years ago (kind of reversed my drinking pattern - went from binge drinker to daily drinker before), so that might be why such a fairly low dose works for me. I reached the off switch at 60 and take 80 when things are very stressful, just in case.

One thing I can tell you Zman - you will definitely notice when you've reached the right dose for you. It's the weirdest (in the best possible way) feeling.

Today I'm on 20 and won't take any more because of the blood test tomorrow - and I can definitely tell the difference! Roll on tomorrow lunchtime.

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Good question. I have regular blood tests too because of having breast cancer 4 years ago. One more year of the tests and I have ordered the bac over the Internet but have not received it yet. I have blood tests next Tuesday and then again in another 6 months. I have been wondering the same thing. It never occurred to me to titrate down before the tests, but I would love to have the answer to your question.

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

No it wont show up. Typical blood work will not show the presence of baclofen say like a chem 8 pr metabolic profile
              Even drug testing wont show the presence of baclofen which typically they test for the standard street drugs, they have an expanded drug test that will include others and then confirm with gas chromatography mass spectography say if you are drug testing for work and you get a false positive for speed from cold medicine.
              Baclofen to my knowledge would not be tested for. It is an uncontrolled substance so it shouldnt be tested for or cause any problems even if they were to know.

But as far as routine blood work. The answer is no, they wont pick up the presence of it. It is also elminated quite quickly anyhow. But quitting baclofen abruptly can lead to serious withdrawal symptoms that are identical to delirium tremens or benzo withdrawal. So stopping it is not a good idea b/c you risk a rare withdrawal syndrome and there really is no reason to do so given that it is uncontrolled, non euphoric and non addictive so there is no reason to test for it and include it in a drug screening panel.
              When I quit baclofen abruply 2 weeks ago. I had the rare withdrawal from it. After in a total panic from anxiety I took, as i wasnt thinking clearly, 100mg and went to the hospital. I had a negative tox screen while at the hospital. My cpk from the tremors from withdrawal was through the roof so I followed the Tuesday before last with a complete metabolic panel which did not show anything related to baclofen on it as well.
              So from my knowledge and also my experience, I am confident in saying it wont show up as my routine blood work normalized and I reviewed the blood work myself

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Ok I have a question!

I am having blood test next week for thyroid, hormones, sugar etc.

Can bac give a false result on any blood tests?

I need to get more time to get back into these bac threads.

I need you all.

Take Care
                Shas
                Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Bill.P.;678979 wrote:
                  When I quit baclofen abruply 2 weeks ago. I had the rare withdrawal from it.
                  Why did you do that?

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Thanks, Bill P, for the info. It is very helpful. Are you a doctor?

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

prancy;679020 wrote: Thanks, Bill P, for the info. It is very helpful. Are you a doctor?
                      xxxf

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Thank you very much, Bill! I did know about the problems of stopping it abruptly (though had no idea just how bad that can be), which is why I've been titrating down. I'm really glad to hear that it's unnecessary to do that, it doesn't feel very comfortable to get back into the anxiety/craving cycle, even though it has just been for a short time!

On the plus side, it has reminded me quite forcefully of just how much of a constant struggle any kind of sobriety (and mine has, at best, been pretty intermittent) was for me.

Comment

Baclofen and blood tests

Good question. I donate blood regularly. Should I tell them I'm taking baclofen?
                          I don't have a script for it.
                          Thanks,
                          Phil
                          Love and Peace,
                          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                          X