Is alcohol a poison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is alcohol a poison?

I am putting this article on the moderation board and hope that we don't get into a big debate with folks who are AF. This article is for the benefit of moderate drinkers who choose to continue to have a safe amount of alcohol be a part of their lives.

Yes, we've all heard that alcohol is a poison from different folks here but as a moderator this article intrigued me and I wanted to share.

“Alcohol is a Poison”

by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

A poison is any substance that is capable of causing injury, illness or death to an organism. Salt, water and oxygen are all poisons because in high enough quantities they can harm people. Too much salt in a diet can cause serious health problems, hyper hydration can kill athletes, and too much oxygen given to a premature infant can cause permanent blindness.

Toxicologists emphasize that “the dosage makes the poison.” Although salt, water, oxygen, aspirin, alcohol beverages, and many other substances can cause poisoning in excessive amounts, it makes no sense to call them poisons.

So why do so many groups and organizations insist on calling alcohol a poison? Apparently to stigmatize alcoholic beverages and frighten people into alcohol abstinence. The tactic was first used effectively by the Anti-Saloon League, the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, the KKK and other anti-alcohol groups. The technique is still widely used today.

Honest communication doesn’t mislead or deceive. Calling alcohol a poison is misleading and deceptive.

I agree. Alcohol in moderation is not
    a poison just as water, salt and oxygen are not.

All things in moderation
    :l
    Eve11
    Addendum: I did want to add to this post with further research I have done. When we sip alcohol and our liver breaks it down into acetaldehyde (as-a-tol-da-hyde) - it is considered a poisonous chemical but it isn't a problem for most people's bodies because it quickly turns into acetate which the body eliminates through the urine, skin and breath. So, for a controlled, moderate drinker...no problem. But for someone drinking too much, too often - then there is too much acetaldehyde that can build up in the cells and create damage-thus it can be poisonous. So, yes, it can be a poison when it's not eliminated efficiently. Once again...all things in moderation.
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Is alcohol a poison?

Interesting article, Eve. Thank you for always sparking the brain cells!
    Moderation is not for everyone but abstaining CAN be and reduces the chance of risky
    behavior.
    Toughen up!

Comment

Is alcohol a poison?

Eve11;678701 wrote: I am putting this article on the moderation board and hope that we don't get into a big debate with folks who are AF. This article is for the benefit of moderate drinkers who choose to continue to have a safe amount of alcohol be a part of their lives.

Yes, we've all heard that alcohol is a poison from different folks here but as a moderator this article intrigued me and I wanted to share.

?Alcohol is a Poison?

by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

A poison is any substance that is capable of causing injury, illness or death to an organism. Salt, water and oxygen are all poisons because in high enough quantities they can harm people. Too much salt in a diet can cause serious health problems, hyper hydration can kill athletes, and too much oxygen given to a premature infant can cause permanent blindness.

Toxicologists emphasize that ?the dosage makes the poison.? Although salt, water, oxygen, aspirin, alcohol beverages, and many other substances can cause poisoning in excessive amounts, it makes no sense to call them poisons.

So why do so many groups and organizations insist on calling alcohol a poison? Apparently to stigmatize alcoholic beverages and frighten people into alcohol abstinence. The tactic was first used effectively by the Anti-Saloon League, the Women?s Christian Temperance Union, the KKK and other anti-alcohol groups. The technique is still widely used today.

Honest communication doesn?t mislead or deceive. Calling alcohol a poison is misleading and deceptive.

I agree. Alcohol in moderation is not
      a poison just as water, salt and oxygen are not.

All things in moderation
      :l
      Eve11
      Ah no Eve ... I wouldn't argue on here ... I think it was Deebee that asked if af-ers post on mods threads we shouldn't discuss af lifestyles and be dogmatic - I think this is very reasonable and fair ... I do pop over here for a read at times and any article is worth reading .... thanks ... and you enjoy your alcohol if you like it ... I am not against people drinking if they are responsible and not killing themselves ..... I just wish I could be one of ''those'' people ....
      ?We are one another's angels?
      Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
      X