Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debating, Debating...Antabuse or Baclofen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello friends. As I sit here today with my slight hangover, I have been thinking about my doctors visit on Monday, and I am debating between Baclofen and Antabuse and which one would fit into my life better, but more importantly "fix" my alcohol addiction that seems to have increased.

Here are some of my thoughts. I am thrilled to hear of all the successes of baclofen to reduce cravings, but here is my thing. I am not sure I really drink "because" of cravings. I believe my drinking has developed into a really bad habit that has worked its way into my psyche. I think I just drink, well because thats just what I do! Another thing, what happens when you drink on baclofen?

I like and fear the drug Antabuse. I think that anyone who has decided to take antabuse has come to the point where they just say, Ok, whether I like it or not, I am NOT DRINKING! It seems like a tough love to yourself, and a firm commitment. I have tried and tried on my own, done all the suppliments, but its almost like I feel I need the EXTREMEness of antabuse to say, your DONE lady!! I imagine that someone on Antabuse would feel a huge sense of relief to wake up in the morning, and KNOW, today IS going to be a sober day!

Maybe I am the type of person who needs a radical treatment for a radical problem that I just cant seem to solve on my own. The thought of having no option to drink is as equally frightening as it is appealing to me. It seems like such a major life change, I just hope I am up for the challenge.

I'd love to hear anyones insight on this!
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

OverIt,

I tried Antabuse with much alacrity. I thought it was going to help me to keep from drinking. Unfortunately, I ended up playing with it and stopping it for a week or so so I could have a drink, etc.

Antabuse does work well for some here. It really does, so I can't so nay, don't do the Antabuse.

What I can say is that for some it is worse than anything because the head games lead you to try to drink when you want to, and you end up doing more harm to your body than ever.

Antabuse also does nothing for the brain trying to tell you to drink. You are on your own with that.

I thought you were considering both Antabuse and Baclofen?

I am not much help, I am afraid.

What it may come down to is what your doctor is willing to do. Many docs, actually most docs, simply will not prescribe something like Baclofen off label for alcoholism. Finding one who will is very difficult. I am lucky because I did.

Whatever path you choose, I truly hope you are successful. I sure do hate this addiction with every fiber of my being.

I am grateful the Baclofen is helping me. I smile more now than I have in years.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

OverIt -

I too think that I drink b/c that is what I do. It is what I have always done. When I have tried to quit before, I could go a few days or so without drinking, but in the end it was an enourmous battle in my head to deal with the cravings. An angry voice that relentlessly justified for me why it was ok for me to drink.

I thought about Antabuse and had the same thought as you again that it would be nice to wake up and just know that today was going to be a sober day. My Dr. wouldn't give it to me unless I comitted to a sort of "outpatient" program where I had to go somewhere and get the medicine and take it in front of someone. For many reasons (including actually being accountable to someone) that didn't work for me. I know I could have got it online but I also knew in the back of my head that I would play with taking it enabling be to be able to drink on "schedule". I also didn't know what I would do about the cravings.

I have been on Bac for a week now (prescribed by my Dr.), I am up to 60 mg/day. While I am still drinking, I don't feel the anxiety and the cravings and the constant argument in my head. That alone is a godsend. All the advice I have been given here tells me to keep titrating up and I will hit that "magic" spot and the switch will be flipped. This is the most hopefull I have been ever.

The only other real success I have had with stopping drinking was with Topamax...but that made me stupid. The only real side effects I am having with the Bac is some tiredness, but it seems to go away when you get used to the new level.

I hear your frustration in your post and you have to decide what is best for you...I just offer my experience so you can make the best decision for yourself.

All the best -

JulieJ

Comment

Thank you both so much for your replies. Wow, baclofen certainly sounds miraculous!

Cinders could be right, it may be a challenge for me to get a doctor to prescribe it, I guess I will know more on Monday. I live in a pretty big area, I could always keep going until I found a doctor who would prescribe it.

Is it dangerous to drink on baclofen? Im certainly hoping I would just stop, but like I said, my drinking seems to be such a huge habit, I might do it just out of that habit. Boredom is huge issue for me as well, and I realize any type of commitment to get sober is also going to be a commitment to change your life.

Comment

Ok, Ok....First I ordered the Antabuse. Took it for maybe 3 days, then the cravings were unbearable...so conclusion it does not work on cravings. After about 2 months I tried it again for two days...Again cravings and succumb to the drink, but I do have to tell you that my skin composition changed. Yes, I was brightly flushed when I decided to drink, but also for weeks after I stopped the Antabuse, everytime I went into the sun, I immediately turned red and got a very bad sunburn mostly face, arms and neck for no less than 20 minutes in the sun. This was not a "flash" or "hot flash" I actually got a severe sunburn. I am medium skinned, usually slightly burn, but then tan tan tan. This was unusual.

All that being said, Cinders and Julie, I believe we may be cut from the same cloth, physiologically (if that is the word). So I have ordered the BAC and am hoping to have the same wonderful result that you both are experiencing.

Over, be very careful with Antabuse. If you drink, it may do more damage than the possibility of good. But, then again, every single person on this site is different and what works for one, does not work for others. Best of luck.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

On another note, Cinders said that many MD's will not prescribe Baclofen off label for alcoholism. And, I know there is not a whole lot of awareness out there about it in the medical community. However, they will prescribe a drug like Antabuse which I feel is as poisonious as the AL itself (Only My Opinion per my Reaction to it). So if anyone has other thoughts or experiences, please post.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Bright and Over and Cinders -

Yes, I believe the same cloth was cut for us!!!

Over -

I am drinking on Bac and my undrestanding is that since Bac is processed through the kidneys rather than the liver, it is "ok". I will say that it seems to take me less to achieve the "feeling" I am looking for when I drink on Bac. Maybe it is just the lessening of the anxiety and the AL is having the effect it would on a "normal" person.

I still feel like this is the best hope I have. I feel "stronger" every day and think that with increased Bac and comittment I will eventually be AF.

All the best -

JulieJ

Comment

BTW...so sorry for the of all the "*&*&". I just don't want to sound trite or condescending ;o)

Comment

Hi OverIt,

I took Antabuse to give me a kickstart with getting sober. I knew that I wouldn't drink on it (too scared!) but if there's a possibility that you would drink on it, then it's obviously a very bad idea.

What it did for me was give me a breathing space of about a month being unable to drink and spending that time starting to do all the "work" necessary to stay sober. After a month I felt OK to go it alone, but I would have been happy to carry on taking it if I'd needed to.

Although it supposedly doesn't help with cravings, it does remove all possibility of drinking - for me anyway, as I said I wouldn't "test" it. So if I thought about drinking while I was on it, it was only a fleeting thought as I then said to myself "well, you can't drink, and that's that", and my brain moved on.

I had a very positive experience with it, and still have some for emergencies (big, boozy bashes that I want to go to but don't want to drink) - and it works for me in that way too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi Overit,
                    I am taking Antabuse at the moment but only after a detox and rehab. I have also never tried the balcofen. I'd only recommend the Antabuse after a week or so's complete abstinance. After that the antibuse comes into its own. I have tried drinking on Antabuse once, and i will never do it again.So now thats out the way as long as i take that tablet every morning i know i'm gonna be sober. It does stop the self questioning and internal arguments... It's out of my hands.

The Antabuse gives me a week to properly rethink if i should drink or not. And the conclusion is always a resounding NO.

Like has already been said you can come off the antibuse say a week before christmas and new year like i did. But it only takes a week or two for the alcahol to cloud your judgment. Hence why i didnt go back on it till last month. Another lesson learned for me... Just stay on the bloody things..

Best of luck to you and i hope you find what is right for you.
                    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! This is the first time for me to take any medications for alcohol abuse, so as you can see, I have alot of questions and dilemas.

Well, I suppose it may be up to what the doctor says on Monday for what she would prescribe for me, but I am leaning towards the Antabuse at the moment. I know it may be a bitch to go through the cravings, but also a huge relief to know that I am finally taking charge of this. Who knows, maybe it will be an easy process for me?

In my thoughts, if I could just get some good sober time behind me, I am thinking the changes will take hold, and I will learn to live life alcohol free. I think I need the scare in me to scare me straight. I do not think I would drink on antabuse, I like many others, would be too afraid of the consequences. I have read of them on here, pretty scarry stuff.

Thank you all for your advice! Any more is welcome!

Comment

OverIt2007;679286 wrote:
                        Well, I suppose it may be up to what the doctor says on Monday for what she would prescribe for me
                        My doctor wouldn't prescribe ANYTHING for me. Said he didn't believe in medication for alcohol abuse.
                        Not that I'm bitter about it :H:H

I hope your doc is a bit more savvy.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey Marshy,

I live in a pretty big metro area, so I am sure there has to be a doctor around who will prescribe me either one of these meds. I will keep searching if I have to.

You know, I have thought of a perfect answer to say to a doctor who will not prescribe any meds....

Simply say "Gee doctor, I hope its none of your loved ones on the road when I am driving in a blackout because you would not help me"

Extreme maybe, but to the point!!

Comment

OverIt,

Yes, I'm in a city but we don't really shop around for doctors, the health system doesn't work like that here. We stay with the same one until we move to a different area usually.

Anyway, I tried my doc and when he said no I bought Antabuse off the internet anyway.
                            What bugs me now is that the couple of times I've been to see him about something else since, he always says "how's the drinking?". And I always want to say "F**k off! What do you care!"
                            Oh dear. Maybe I'm a tad bitter after all... :H
                            sigpic

Comment

Marshy, I would change the doctor. I do think that it s important to feel safe enough to be honest.

I also had to shop around to find someone who would hear me. I came away with Cipralex and Zanex, but not antebuse. I now have a doctor who has prescribed for 6 months. He was very sympathetic.

My own feelings about antebuse. Tried it and it worked for brief periods. I did manage 3 months once and then planned my relapse. It became a pattern. On the bac, I cannot believe the difference. My thinking has changed. I cannot think of coming off bac. I do not want to come off bac. I "feel" different.

In the past, on antebuse, I would dread going out to events where alcohol would be served. I always felt that I was missing something. I went to a dinner party recently and was very content to refuse a glass of wine.

Comment

Working...
                              X