Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here...

Hi.

I am a five year post op gastric bypass RNY patient. I have lost 125 lbs.

Recently went on Lamictal for reasons that when I get depressed I drop like a rock (kind of like I swim) in a pool. :H

It caused a rapid weight gain so that I am now up to 200#

Am going off that and going back to Wellbutrin XL. I would prefer to deal w/my depression in other methods than that drug.

Additionally I am on Campral to curb AL cravings; Effexor for anxiety. I recently discovered that they are "cancelling" each other out.

I have been to a fabulous program ... an IOP... but they required AA 3xweek. I hated AA. I am religious but I didn't feel it was working for me in any respect. One exception is the Big Book meetings. But I rarely go to those.

I found that Jack Trimpey's "Rational Recovery" method worked for me well but i relapsed.

I have a point....I promise.

LOL

Effexor, in WLS patients, masks the effects of alcohol to the point where you don't know you've had too much until you are almost passed out. Taking advantage of this novelty, I found myself drinking heavier and heavier.

This week in meeting w/my MD, I expressed my distress over the Lamictal and then my resignation to the fact that I should probably take Anatabuse to get me a head start for three months.

I am scared. I found this site and am looking for feed back on the antabuse and all the nasty things that can happen other than the obvioous. And since it is not a long term med, is MWO something that I could follow after being on Antabuse?

I have two children and I'm not looking to die from taking Antabuse and having a side effect even tho I have been sober.

Sorry for the ramble. Feedback is appreciated.
    :thanks:

~BG~

ETA: I wanted to thank Crazy Meds! The Good, The Bad & The Funny of Neurological Medications for having this link on their site or I wouldn't have found this site!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Think of God roaring with laughter as you
    try to control your universe and you will
    have more fun

Newbie here...

Oh and You can read up on my story here: Freedom from Fat ... Fueled by Alcohol
    have more fun

Comment

Newbie here...

I like Antabuse.

It ususally worked for me. I had a few reactions when I didnt leave it long enough in my "planning to get drunk" phase.

The only problem I have with it is that my "call it what you will" given our similar histories (AV, devil on the shoulder", disease etc etc) just gets me to stop taking the pill and 4 to 5 days later I am drunk as...

good luck with the Dr - hope he is one of the good guys!
      Andy R:

Comment

Newbie here...

Hello and Welcome
        That u for sharing the information. I so not know a whole lot about antabuse. I am an RN and am in frequent contact with alcohol prep pads, so I can't go near it. I just wanted to welcome you. I am sure that others will come along who can help.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Newbie here...

Thanks for the welcomes. I do have a great MD. He's been working w/me since I moved here five years ago. Seacailin....I will like you even tho you're a sox fan
          have more fun

Comment

Newbie here...

Welcome Beach Girl!
            I know of at least one other member here who had WLS and I think she took antabuse as well. Hopefully she will pipe in soon!

Comment

Newbie here...

LOL Beach Girl
              I will like you too. We have a common bond that is far stronger than sports.
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Newbie here...

TTT just in case the WLS member is around.

I didn't start antabuse on Friday. I pu the med and read the sheet and there was something in there about foods w/vinegar. WTF? I started a full blown panic attack. I was reading all the labels of all the stuff that I typically eat for any other ingredients that may be a problem but never thought vinegar would be....and now I'm wondering about soy sauce, etc.

My dh told me just calm down and I don't want you to take it. I'm not ruling it out but I'm definitely nervous. I am just coming down off my Lamictal and I have been feeling lousy enough. This is my last week and then I think I'll start on the antabuse when I start the wellbutrin.

ugh.
                have more fun

Comment

Newbie here...

Welcome Beach Girl! I have no advice about antabuse but there are a number here who take it. You might want to ask in the general section as well. And the mwo program could be followed while on antabuse (except for the topomax). The book can be downloaded from the healthtore.

Comment

Newbie here...

Thanks Louise! I will post something on that forum later on. Rushing off to the DDS now. oh joy.

One of my other concerns is sugar alcohols. I have to find out about that too.
                    have more fun

Comment

Working...
                    X