Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen regime throughout day

Hi,

First, as a new member, I really appreciate the great wealth of information about baclofen for treatment of alcohol cravings, simply unmatched anywhere else on the web!

I have been reading this forum for 5 hours straight now, after deciding that my last nights binge drinking would be my last night (wishful thinking I know). This morning I took an antabuse tablet, but I know that I can always rationalize coming off of antabuse a week before I drink (which I did a week ago), so I know I need to find something that will stop the desire to drink in the first place. Baclofen appears to fit the bill to lower the desire to drink.

I have a few questions, I tried reading all I could find in the threads, but I know I probably missed some so apologies if these were already answered.

1. From reading this forum it appears the range of effectiveness for baclofen is between 50 to 300 mg. I am about 220 lbs so I guess I will be in the upper range, maybe 150 mg or above. Does that mean I will need to be taking 15 pills a day? Wow, a lot to swallow isn't it?

2. Would I take them 3 times a day, or swallow all of them in the morning, or some other regime?

3. Looks like the pills cost around 27c each, so that makes it about $4 per day, actually quite a bargin to stay sober. Is that about what people are paying per day, or am I missing something?

4. I never have withdrawal symptoms from alcohol, and often go months without drinking, but then decide that I miss the "fun times" at the bar, shooting pool and partying with friends. The problem is that the fun times turn out to be total binges, and can lead to days of going to the bar and having a hangover the next morning. I function ok, hold down a job etc, as I normally don't drink before 7pm, but I hate the hangover and loss of a few hours the next morning. So I am not physically addicted, but just mentally addicted. Can baclofen help this type of addiction, meaning can it reduce my desire to have "fun times" at the bar?

Many thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Brian.

New Yorkie,

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ion-34919.html

The above thread has a titration schedule in it.

:welcome: and glad you are here. I hope Baclofen helps you like it has helped me.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Welcome New Yorkie, The pills are really small, so taking 3-4 of them 3 to 4 times a day is not much. i can't really answer your other questions as I'm not there yet, but hopefully, it will not take away your desire to have fun, just the need to drink to have fun.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the responses!!

Comment

Hi NewYorkie, I really wish you well on your journey.

I think that my respnse has possibly been one of the quickest. I also started taking bac with ante buse. I only needed one ante buse tablet and then the bac took over. I did have a very bad reaction to drinking on bac (only about 3 glasses of wine)... but in mind its a miracle medication.

Comment

Working...
          X